Currency Trading Dec 11th-15th

tradewinds said:
As I mentioned earlier R Dennis was only one trader. I gave other examples. Of course its human nature to pick out the anomalie. The finance media pick up more on Denis losing his managed accounts. However as I said already he lost 10% of his own money.

This is a fact you can check it out.

Richard Dennis and many other traders have actaully had better percentage trading gains than George Soros. The end capital isnt a measure.

I wasnt actaully comparing Soros and DEnis and dont know how thats relevant. The original query was that there are many techical traders who trade without fundamentals. I gave you some examples. I wasnt comparing Soros and Dennis.

Actaully I thought Bill Lipscutz has the title of "the sultan of currencies"

cheers.

Yes, Bill L. was called that. And he is a fundamental trader. You can read about him in Market Wizards 2. There he warns very much against trading only with charts. He says: "it makes no sense to trade when you don't know what's going on".

PS. Maybe Richard D. only lost 10% of his own money, but he lost almost 50% of his clients.

Offshore Trader said:
I'm sure someone has made loads today but personally I found cable really hard today. It's very difficult when EUR/GBP follows Cable as you tend to get some big retracements. Really wish I'd done Swissy or EUR today
Same here. Very frustrating day on the breakout method and took too many b/e trades on this run down. I've lost money net on the day so far....it's yet another case of looking back and thinking....c'mon, how could you have lost money with a chart looking like that!

ChowClown said:
Same here. Very frustrating day on the breakout method and took too many b/e trades on this run down. I've lost money net on the day so far....it's yet another case of looking back and thinking....c'mon, how could you have lost money with a chart looking like that!

The fundamentals told us all we needed. First the comments from the Swiss Central Bank, which started the dollar rally in CHF. Then good UK Retail Sales, but only a little spike. A bearish signal, which said Cable should follow CHF and Euro down. And so it happened.

Baruch said:
Yes, Bill L. was called that. And he is a fundamental trader. You can read about him in Market Wizards 2. There he warns very much against trading only with charts. He says: "it makes no sense to trade when you don't know what's going on".

PS. Maybe Richard D. only lost 10% of his own money, but he lost almost 50% of his clients.

Again you are picking out the one trader in R Dennis, but as i ve said a few times there are many more...
Lets sum it up like this Baruch. There are traders who are very successful technical traders without fundamentals. History has showed this and continues to...

Also there have been many traders who use fundamentals and have been successful. LIke the ones you mentioned...history has shown this.

Lets agree that both are right.

If your method is news trading and it is sucessful then thats great. Dont fix what isnt broke.
However so far I ve found a way in my short 2&1/2 year trading history that has been successful without fundamental data.

There have been a load of traders who have been successful with so many different methods. Its just findind the one you have confidnece in and you have the discipline to stick too.

Thanks for the debate,
Chris.

Classic Wolf Wave setup now

Hi guys
For those who are interested there's a classic Wolf Wave setup happening now on Cable.

Attachments

• Classic_WW.gif
    Classic_WW.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
ChowClown said:
...right last laugh for the day. Order long 9598, sl 9575, target 9670ish....just filled.

...the only half decent 5min wolfe wave i've spotted today. Stop to b/e.

a_gnome said:
Hi guys
For those who are interested there's a classic Wolf Wave setup happening now on Cable.
...nice when they jump out at you like that :) Did you get in too, a_g?

btw the Baruch, if you have itunes on your pc, you can find some good podcasts on there related to fundamental news. UBS so one every 2 weeks, there is alot of forex ones also. BOE inflation reports etc. Have a search through...or anyone for that matter
cheers
chris

tradewinds said:
Again you are picking out the one trader in R Dennis, but as i ve said a few times there are many more...
Lets sum it up like this Baruch. There are traders who are very successful technical traders without fundamentals. History has showed this and continues to...

Also there have been many traders who use fundamentals and have been successful. LIke the ones you mentioned...history has shown this.

Lets agree that both are right.

If your method is news trading and it is sucessful then thats great. Dont fix what isnt broke.
However so far I ve found a way in my short 2&1/2 year trading history that has been successful without fundamental data.

There have been a load of traders who have been successful with so many different methods. Its just findind the one you have confidnece in and you have the discipline to stick too.

Thanks for the debate,
Chris.

Thank you, Chris. But why not combine the technicals and the fundamentals? Why not follow both the charts and the news?

Baruch said:
Thank you, Chris. But why not combine the technicals and the fundamentals? Why not follow both the charts and the news?

I have studied the fundamentals, I ve got a couple of economic books. One is the economics of international trade, banking and finance, which is a 1000 page job. It goes very deep right into the dynamics of money supply etc. Thats hard work. I have a not too bad understanding of the what the fundametals mean but...

I tried with the news and charts but I found that they contradicted each other too often. So i had to choose one or the other.
The other thing is my system is medium term, or rarther anything from 1 day to 4 weeks, so alot of the time the daily news doesnt knock my signals of course so i dont need to change from long to short.
I take what your saying, but I think maybe looking at the medium term fundamentals might be suit my system better.

Now in saying that I had some success trading the NFP release on the 15min chart, using a MA crossover system and going with shortterm trend direction, or whatever way i was in the market before the announcement.

example lets say i was in long. Whever i was in at the moment before the release i would place the stoploss about 50 pips away from my entry. Then if i was stopped out i would be out, but if the market continued in the direction i was in then i would hold out using trail stops and take 180 pips sometime..
the theory was i had a 50/50 of being right, and the very short term trend takes the markets in the direction which the bias is on. IEg, if we are in a channel, and the number is expected to be good then the price will move nearer the top of the channel in expectancy of the positive number. I saw that the average movement on NFP day was more than 150 pips.

The way I saw it was this i had a 50/50 in being right on direction, and was risking 50pips for a possible reward of 180 pips. So if i was wrong -50 pips and if i was right 180 pips.

ChowClown said:
...right last laugh for the day. Order long 9598, sl 9575, target 9670ish....just filled.
...exit now set to 32. Bearish 5min wolfe now setting up...had enough for today tho'.

CU tomorrow.

ChowClown said:
...exit now set to 32. Bearish 5min wolfe now setting up...had enough for today tho'.

CU tomorrow.
...nice and clean, this one.

Attachments

• WW 5min 141206 pm1.GIF
    WW 5min 141206 pm1.GIF
    22.3 KB · Views: 167
That's thoroughly annoying, after hitting my stop @ 650 (b/e) almost to the pip it drops like a stone and hits where my target was (585). If, if , if, if, if, if.

Dear Santa,

Please may I have a winning trade this Christmas? Just one would do, rather than all these losses and break evens.

Thankyou,

CB

I'll be keeping an eye on this more dominant hrly wave tomorrow, trading within the wave off the 5min.

Attachments

• WW141206 cable hrly.GIF
    WW141206 cable hrly.GIF
    35 KB · Views: 166
I reckon we're going up today. Cable's near the bottom of a two day down channel and EUR is at the bottom of it's latest range. Looking for ~680 on a long break.

morning all,

chow, hope your wave is true....would be nice to get action. still trying to grasp them, though.

today, i prefer longs above 50, with tight stops and tight targets. only larger targets if there is a clean break of 9695-9730.

no shorts in mind, unless the opportunity arises of course.

good luck today

jacinto said:
chow, hope your wave is true....would be nice to get action.
Morning all,

The hrly pattern still intact overnight. Channel line, as CB pointed out c680....pattern targets 750+ but lots of hurdles to fall at in the meantime.

VEBO orders: long 9655.4, short 9596.

Good luck all.