Currency trading (Aug 7th > 11th)

Originally Posted by trader79
Thanks DC and Priceman for the replies.

DC I maintained the average for past six months.
I work off of 5 min charts for entry and 1 hour chart for general trend with few mas and cci.
Any hints on how you get your levels..elliott wave, Gann etc.?
I missed this mornings move as I slept .. looks like have to wait for US session for fireworks.

I have to agree with ripcord here "if it aint broke don't try to fix it" 100 pip average is very good if you are looking to become more profitable I would look at other aspects of your trades

Priceman said:
Question chaps,

who's doing what; SBing, options, futures, CFD's....

I'm SB with CMC at mo for cable but not sure if they're gonna honour my positions if (and that's a big if) I get too successful. There's a lot of bad talk on the forums about SB firms. Maybe I should spread (excuse the punn) my positions around wit hdifferent firms so I can hide better.

I trade my normal strat with Oanda, but use SB for testing new strats etc. I am seriously considering ECN's..I believe IB have something akin to ECN, anyone use IB?

dc2000 said:
I have to agree with ripcord here "if it aint broke don't try to fix it" 100 pip average is very good if you are looking to become more profitable I would look at other aspects of your trades
I would say that if one is CONSISTENTLY averaging 100 pips per week, to become more "profitable" simply increase the size, rather than tinkering with a set up. Just my 2 cents mind.

zuke said:
I trade my normal strat with Oanda, but use SB for testing new strats etc. I am seriously considering ECN's..I believe IB have something akin to ECN, anyone use IB?

yes, IB is direct access.

you can check their prices & spreads on their home page.

cable spread is usually 1 or 2 pips (in european market hours). But you can also sell the ask and buy the bid, and even place/hit orders inside the interbank spread.

commision on GBP/USD is approx 0.75 pips on amounts above (£65K). However they don't deal in fixed lot sizes, so you could buy/sell £145,959 if you wished to hedge an exact position in another market.

I would say that if one is CONSISTENTLY averaging 100 pips per week, to become more "profitable" simply increase the size, rather than tinkering with a set up. Just my 2 cents mind.

hi zuke I was meaning it is possible to average 100 pips a week but not have a great profit if your losing trades are of a greater value than your winning ones

Hi wasp

the first shares I bought were Eurotunnel back in the late 80s

zuke said:
Morning all, my 8968 short has just been filled. Im looking for a 8908 with a stop at 9008. If I get these 60 pips, Ill probably head off to the Lake District for the weekend.

Scaled out half my size (5 lots) at 8938 for +30. Stop moved to break even and 5 lots running to 8908.

A free trade and +30 pips is quite a nice end to the week!

btw, i meant IB cable commison was approx 0.75pip round turn (not side).

so actually cable spread is normally 1.75 to 2.75 pips.

Money management

I think the subject of pips per trade / day is extremely subjective and depends entirely on your style of trading.

For me I make a maximum of three trades a day and my maximum ever stop loss is 25 pips. I now only trade on a confirmed set up and only trade at set times when three markets are open. I can honestly say that I only really became consistantly profitable since I don't chase trades anymore and give less money to the broker and it's also much less stressful.

When I started a few years ago I went all starry eyed and looked at huge movements in the charts and thought it can't be too hard to average 50+pips a day but it is. I thought that if you trade all the time then you'll get every move, you won't. If you over trade on a whippy day you will lose a shedload of cash.

I agree with Zuke and DC look to reduce risk and then ramp up the trade size. 100 pips at £10 a point is the same as 20 pips at £50 and I know which one you'll stand a greater chance of hitting target on any given trading day.

martin brown said:
yes, IB is direct access.

you can check their prices & spreads on their home page.

cable spread is usually 1 or 2 pips (in european market hours). But you can also sell the ask and buy the bid, and even place/hit orders inside the interbank spread.

commision on GBP/USD is approx 0.75 pips on amounts above (£65K). However they don't deal in fixed lot sizes, so you could buy/sell £145,959 if you wished to hedge an exact position in another market.

Martin, thanks for this, Ill look into it.

Ripcord said:
100 pips at £10 a point is the same as 20 pips at £50 and I know which one you'll stand a greater chance of hitting target on any given trading day.
Never a truer word was spoken. Too frequently traders are looking for the Hollywood Trade.

Great fireworks and a big smile

have I gone long not yet my order was in at 8877 if I miss it no worries plenty of pips today

Managed to pick up 47 pips on the news spike. Short 1.8954 for a 14pip stop. Out at 5-8am channel low.

ChowClown's VEB system results

I've been testing ChowClown's VEB system and it looks encouraging. Chow credits this system to Hans123 and SM01. Pls see attached equity curve from 2 May 2005 to 10 Aug 2006.
1 year and 3 months. 1pip = $100. Hence 3640 pips. Thanks Chow..

Attachments

• cable_VEBsystem_may05toJul06.JPG
    cable_VEBsystem_may05toJul06.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 226
leovirgo said:
I've been testing ChowClown's VEB system and it looks encouraging. Chow credits this system to Hans123 and SM01. Pls see attached equity curve from 2 May 2005 to 10 Aug 2006.
1 year and 3 months. 1pip = $100. Hence 3640 pips. Thanks Chow..

you saying that's real wonga leo !? respect!

zuke said:
Scaled out half my size (5 lots) at 8938 for +30. Stop moved to break even and 5 lots running to 8908.

A free trade and +30 pips is quite a nice end to the week!

Closed out remaining 5 lots at 8908 for +60. Im going to watch from the sidelines for the next hour. If no set up comes, Im off to the Lake District! Good trading all.

zuke said:
Closed out remaining 5 lots at 8908 for +60. Im going to watch from the sidelines for the next hour. If no set up comes, Im off to the Lake District! Good trading all.

nice one.

i'm waiting for the NY options cut off @ 15:00. could see some more action after that.

keep an eye on eur/usd @ 1.2725. looks like a key pivot level.