Crime and punishment

I agree with her sentiments. But the police haven't done themselves a lot of favours over the years by their inward-facing and defensive attitude, and their own timidity in policing in order presumably to avoid political back-lash or civil cases for damages.

Let's face it, when the police had greater resources a few years back, does anyone recall seeing anything like zero-tolerance policing, frequent police patrols, numerous stop-and-search operations, security roadside checks, even traffic policing?

The police don't really have the commitment to aggressively meet some current and serious crime issues -

How would Thornton feel about motorcycle pursuits?
Why are there no police patrols on motor bikes at night? (never seen in the UK)
Actually, where are the police motor bike patrols?
Would she welcome army street patrols as in France?
Shouldn't tasers be issued to ALL police officers?
Why can't UK citizens carry defensive devices like tasers and pepper sprays? What about pepper sprays at a private house, or behind the counter in a late-night shop or petrol station?
Why do police officers have the choice as to whether they go armed or not?

I agree with her sentiments. But the police haven't done themselves a lot of favours over the years by their inward-facing and defensive attitude, and their own timidity in policing in order presumably to avoid political back-lash or civil cases for damages.

Let's face it, when the police had greater resources a few years back, does anyone recall seeing anything like zero-tolerance policing, frequent police patrols, numerous stop-and-search operations, security roadside checks, even traffic policing?

The police don't really have the commitment to aggressively meet some current and serious crime issues -

Why can't UK citizens carry defensive devices like tasers and pepper sprays? What about pepper sprays at a private house, or behind the counter in a late-night shop or petrol station?

About time our politicians stopped being weak and soppy !
Crime gangs are on an upsurge thanks to feeble politicians.
Show some grit before it is too late.
( I nearly wrote balls ) !

Last edited:

Problem is that there appears to be a creeping authoritarianism in UK police coupled with the totalitarian laws introduced by govt policy.

Introducing non-crime hate crime and hate laws themselves are a joke, where have they come from? My guess is post-grad think tanks and other non real world sources with no experience of real crimes and real society.

For ordinary coppers it must be a nightmare trying to keep up to date, no wonder we are seeing defensive police that think they know the law when in fact they don’t or simply lie to the general public. There is a sub culture in policing that is giving them a very bad name.

It is happening hand in hand with the changes and divisions we see growing in society over the last few years, promulgated by the very hate laws that govt introduces supported by the police.

The TOP priorities of every Govt. should be the safety and well being of its citizens from internal and external threats. Not getting rich and self important like Blair.

International crime is a very real problem and grows with little difficulty in some countries. They own the politicians through bribery and intimidation. Unfortunately the UK police cannot do much damage to them as they operate from abroad.

Last edited:
2 teenagers and 2 men stabbed to death in the last 5 days. The Met has launched 110 murder investigations so far this year.

For some reason, whatever action in response the London Mayor has in mind might take 10 years before we see whether it's worked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46095279

If the Mayor can't say anything concrete, what do the Met themselves say they are doing? At their website home page, there are 12 buttons to click in order to pass information to the Police, 1 from which to get crime figures for your postcode and 1 which gives information on something called Project Servator, which seems to be just a pompous title for actual policing: the explanatory page does not detail what the project does or has achieved but of course there's a comprehensive series of ways the public can pass information to the police. Not a great start.

Using the home page search button with "knife crime" gives a first item as "Stop knife crime" and this claims to detail ways in which the public can prevent knife crime and where we can deposit our knives to keep the streets safe. Nothing about the 4 murders in 5 days or the 110 murders this year and what they're doing. The Met seem more preoccupied with telling us what we can do for them than what they are doing for us.

At this point I have temporarily lost the will to delve further into what these t0ssers have to say, maybe I'll pick it up later.

Politicians should realize that the cracking down on criminals is a vote winner.
In some countries like the Philipines dodgy people have got elected mainly on that promise. Drug dealers are shot there with no trial now, it has got that bad.

Brazil has just elected a similar sort of man as their President.

The great do-gooding experiment seems to have failed in that respect anyway.

2 teenagers and 2 men stabbed to death in the last 5 days. The Met has launched 110 murder investigations so far this year.

For some reason, whatever action in response the London Mayor has in mind might take 10 years before we see whether it's worked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46095279

If the Mayor can't say anything concrete, what do the Met themselves say they are doing? At their website home page, there are 12 buttons to click in order to pass information to the Police, 1 from which to get crime figures for your postcode and 1 which gives information on something called Project Servator, which seems to be just a pompous title for actual policing: the explanatory page does not detail what the project does or has achieved but of course there's a comprehensive series of ways the public can pass information to the police. Not a great start.

Using the home page search button with "knife crime" gives a first item as "Stop knife crime" and this claims to detail ways in which the public can prevent knife crime and where we can deposit our knives to keep the streets safe. Nothing about the 4 murders in 5 days or the 110 murders this year and what they're doing. The Met seem more preoccupied with telling us what we can do for them than what they are doing for us.

At this point I have temporarily lost the will to delve further into what these t0ssers have to say, maybe I'll pick it up later.

It’s not just the headline grabbing stabbings that are on the rise, there are large increases in acid attacks, rapes, sexual assault and other violent crimes.

Rising crimes against females in particular are a concern.

Politicians should realize that the cracking down on criminals is a vote winner.

In some countries like the Philipines dodgy people have got elected mainly on that promise. Drug dealers are shot there with no trial now, it has got that bad.

Brazil has just elected a similar sort of man as their President.

The great do-gooding experiment seems to have failed in that respect anyway.

If this is the attitude, then there really is no hope for a ‘crackdown’.

Labour frontbencher faces probe into why she promoted her son
https://dailym.ai/2PJN4jQ

I was talking to a village school teacher last week and she was complaining about how abusive and nasty the children are now. Never in my day.

So it seems necessary to bring back the cane and some discipline imho. It would be doing a favour for these budding savages.

Censorship of violent TV and movies too ?

I was talking to a village school teacher last week and she was complaining about how abusive and nasty the children are now. Never in my day.

So it seems necessary to bring back the cane and some discipline imho. It would be doing a favour for these budding savages.

Censorship of violent TV and movies too ?

Teachers have wanted it both ways for so long. Typical slack leftist thinking. Set up some constantly receding ideals, expect someone else to sweep up the collateral damage.

Actually, I have enjoyed some violent TV and movies. It isn't right I should not be able to watch The Sopranos so that somebody else's kids also can't watch it.

Thinking back to school days. a few teachers made the lessons fun and interesting while others were SO boring they should have been sacked for wasting time.

It’s not just the headline grabbing stabbings that are on the rise, there are large increases in acid attacks, rapes, sexual assault and other violent crimes.

Rising crimes against females in particular are a concern.

All crimes of violence and sexual crimes are rising so it seems likely females are disproportionately affected.

But rising or not, there are things that our police could do which they cannot currently resource but even worse, they have never been able to countenance - e.g. -

self-defence sprays or radio/sonic alarms for women travelling on public transport (pick it up from a dispenser when you swipe your Oyster in, return it when you swipe out)

police patrols on public transport

linking Oyster card use with police database of persons with an outstanding warrant

banning certain convicted offender types from public transport

ID checks at stations, bus stations etc.

Political support is needed to, where new legislation might be needed -

Currently, persons with outstanding warrants are only identified by police if they are either seen by an officer or reported by a member of the public (who knows somehow there is a warrant) or maybe if they drive a vehicle registered to them past an ANPR camera (though I'm not sure this is the case). When a person with a warrant against them reports to any public office to use a public service, it would be nice if the warrants database pinged the local police when the person verified their ID in order to utilise the service.

Currently, records on the UK database are deleted if the person is not charged or they are charged but not convicted. If we're really serious about tackling crime, DNA samples should be permanent and should be taken also from every patient at any NHS point of treatment they go to and added to the database.

All crimes of violence and sexual crimes are rising so it seems likely females are disproportionately affected.

But rising or not, there are things that our police could do which they cannot currently resource but even worse, they have never been able to countenance - e.g. -

self-defence sprays or radio/sonic alarms for women travelling on public transport (pick it up from a dispenser when you swipe your Oyster in, return it when you swipe out)

police patrols on public transport

linking Oyster card use with police database of persons with an outstanding warrant

banning certain convicted offender types from public transport

ID checks at stations, bus stations etc.

Political support is needed to, where new legislation might be needed -

Currently, persons with outstanding warrants are only identified by police if they are either seen by an officer or reported by a member of the public (who knows somehow there is a warrant) or maybe if they drive a vehicle registered to them past an ANPR camera (though I'm not sure this is the case). When a person with a warrant against them reports to any public office to use a public service, it would be nice if the warrants database pinged the local police when the person verified their ID in order to utilise the service.

Currently, records on the UK database are deleted if the person is not charged or they are charged but not convicted. If we're really serious about tackling crime, DNA samples should be permanent and should be taken also from every patient at any NHS point of treatment they go to and added to the database.

Lots of good points and unfortunately necessary as per the current state of affairs, which seem to be getting worse.

Perhaps all registered persons including babes should have their DNA on their identity cards. Yes a high price but again unfortunately necessary.
With the most powerful man on the planet a self confessed groper of women's private parts and sex and violence everywhere in ads/movies/TV/internet etc. Well what do you expect.

Bring back prison ships with no stabilisers, make them swab the decks or be keel hauled, North Atlantic would do the trick, who would want to go back to the clink after that experience?

You would need a special kind of prison guard to go with it, I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers, for the right money :LOL:

Bring back prison ships with no stabilisers, make them swab the decks or be keel hauled, North Atlantic would do the trick, who would want to go back to the clink after that experience?

You would need a special kind of prison guard to go with it, I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers, for the right money :LOL:

This feeds into the debate as to whether prisons are places where criminals are physically prevented from committing more crime or places where criminals are encouraged to refrain from committing more crime.

The UK prison system currently fails on both counts and actually cannot succeed. Debate over "high security" or "open" prison regimes just muddies the waters.