Crashing computer

Paul

Frag Guard function can monitor PF and MFT fragmentation and is called from the drop down Action menu on my version (7.0.413.0) Looks different to your earlier post so yours may be later/upmarket version. I don't use it for some reason that escapes me but following Help extract explains.

Frag Guard
Frag Guard and the Diskeeper Boot-Time defragmentation feature combine to defragment two critical areas of Windows NT/2000/XP disk volumes the Master File Table (MFT) and the paging file and to keep them defragmented automatically.

Frag Guard has an online mechanism that prevents MFT and paging file fragmentation, greatly reducing the need for boot-time defragmentation runs. This mechanism also monitors the fragmentation levels of the MFT and paging file, and automatically sets a boot-time defragmentation operation to run when either of these levels exceeds a threshold that you set. The boot-time defragmentation will only occur during a time period you specify.

When enabled, Frag Guard ensures the MFT and paging file can grow in a contiguous manner. If either the MFT or paging file do become fragmented, the Diskeeper Boot-Time feature is called upon to restore the MFT and paging file to a defragmented condition.

On any disk volume that has a fragmented MFT or paging file, first run a full Boot-Time Defragmentation of the volume to "clear the way" for Frag Guard to function fully.

The dialog box that controls the Frag Guard settings is displayed during setup, but can also be accessed later from the Action menu. Click on the various parts of the display below to see a description about that section of the display.

unquote

Possible same sort of feature called by another name in yours?

Regards

ps Just remembered! I don't use it because I don't need it because I set the PF to be a fixed size

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks again for everyones help. It now seems to be all sorted :p

....apart from 2 mice!!! :devilish:
I've tried using system restore but that doesn't work. I have a feeling it is to do with windows update.
Anyway, where can I get the latest driver for my graphics card and I haven't got a clue which card I've got :(

And when you've found out what your g card is go to its manufacturers website and download the new drivers from there. BTW Win XP updates should have alerted you to the fact that there are new drivers (bottom of 3 options at LH side of screen and allowed you to down load them as part of the Win update).

FTSE Beater

Belarc Advisor will tell you what graphics card you've got - you can download it here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Also, it'll highlight the WinXP Hotfixes that failed verification - in other words that need to be re-installed. All round, it's great program.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly