Laptop breaks down

clylbw

Hi,

My laptop has been acting oddly since Friday. After running perfectly for an hour or so, it seems to stop taking orders. For example, I cannot open a programme by clicking its icon on the desktop. The quick launch buttons in the task bar have also stopped functioning. I am even unable to shut down the machine; when I click the Start button and then Turn Off Computer, nothing happens, although the mouse and the keyboard are working.

Everything is fine after restarting, but the problems appear again after a while.

Virus and spyware tests have been run, but nothing has been found. I wonder what has gone wrong. Thanks indeed.

clylbw said:
Hi,

My laptop has been acting oddly since Friday. After running perfectly for an hour or so, it seems to stop taking orders. For example, I cannot open a programme by clicking its icon on the desktop. The quick launch buttons in the task bar have also stopped functioning. I am even unable to shut down the machine; when I click the Start button and then Turn Off Computer, nothing happens, although the mouse and the keyboard are working.

Everything is fine after restarting, but the problems appear again after a while.

Virus and spyware tests have been run, but nothing has been found. I wonder what has gone wrong. Thanks indeed.

Hi
just a few questions- what operating system do you have - and what virus and spyware have you run for the tests.
As a first step - if you are running windows xp try restoring your computer to a previous date/time (before you started having this problem) and see if that resolves anything - if it does resolve the problem then have a look at any programmes you may have installed after that date/time. Give me a call on [email protected]

Has the processor cooling fan stopped or slowed down? Most BIOS's have a CPU temperature indication, though probably not on laptop motherboards...

Many thanks to you all.

Hi mariner, ChartMan,

Unfortunately, Restore does not solve the problems, and the CPU fans are working fine.

I suspect it is not a software problem; some hardware seems to have broken down.

1. How long have you had the machine?

2. What programs did you load/unload on Friday?

3. What have you downloaded since Friday?

4. Which new websites did you visit since Friday?

Hi Tony,

I have had the laptop 1 year as the second user; the first one had it for 2 years, I believe.

However, I did nothing special on Friday: downloaded data using QCharts as usual, and visited the websites I visit everday. I have not downloaded anything new or visited any new websites since Friday, either.

Maybe you want to take it into a computer shop. There are many around these days that don't charge if they can't fix it so perhaps that's worth a try.

Thanks anley; I am planning to do that.

Have read the thread about Dell problems and agreed with it - both my machines are Dell. Normally Dell is great, but can cause headache when something goes wrong.

Sounds like a possible hard disk problem to me. Do a "chkdsk /f" (or windows equivalent) to check the integrity of your main drive.

Check in taskmanager [hold down ctrl-alt-delete buttons] i suspect that ur cpu is running at 100%
Under the "Processes" tab u should be able to see and close down the process that is using a high percentage of ur cpu if indeed this is the cause.
Apologies if u are aware or have allready checked this out!

My laptop is back from a repair centre; it was indeed a HD problem.

Thanks oatman for the link; I have downloaded and installed HD Tune 2.10. The temperature can go up to 48 degree, yet the fans are still not initiated into functioning. Incidentally, the up/download speed of my ADSL connection has been very slow for the past days. I wonder whether there is a connection between these two.

Thank you indeed.

Pleased that it's fixed. If you're running slow, run the Pitstop test as recommended earlier. It's a good place to start looking for any problems. No personal information is gathered. It will show how your machine is performing, what processes are running etc.

Thanks indeed.

Hi Paul,

I perform the in-house scandisk for error and defragmentation functions of Windows XP regularly. Do you think it is better to have external house-keeping programmes such as the one you have recommended?

Thanks indeed.

My Connection Problems

There have been problems for my ADSL connection for about a week.

1. The speed is very slow, especially between 6:00 to 10:30 pm.

2. The connection cuts off itself automatically about 5 to 6 times per day.

3. I cannot have ADSL connection and phone calls simultaneously. The connection cuts off automatically whenever there is a phone call.

Since my connection is via a USB 2.0 cardbus adaptor, I wonder whether the problems are due to the adaptor, the computer, or the phone line? Or are they due to the filter, as suggested by the technical support people of my ISP?

Many thanks indeed.

Who is your BB ISP?

The slowdown in the peak usage times may well be a simple contention issue. If you're on a 'standard' 50:1 contention that means you share your 512K (or whatever package you have) with 49 other subscribers. Normally (statistically) it wont be a problem, but at peak times, you might just find you'll experience this phenomena. This is why I stump up for a 20:1 ratio and am quite happy at 'just' 512K.

As for the service breaks, (again depending on your ISP) could be a pre-programmed cut-off point after so many hours?

You're incoming calls should not be dropping your BB connection. It's nothing to do with the micro-filter - all that does it make is possible to have a conversation without having to shout above the carrier!

One other thing, your hot-running laptop, have you installed cpuidle?

http://www.cpuidle.de/