Spyware problem

clylbw

Hi,

Recently my laptop has been repaired due to a HD problem, and the whole system has been reinstalled as a result.

Since then, 5 entries of spyware have been repeatedly found by the scans of Ad-Aware and Spybot. I delete them each time, but the same 5 entries always re-appear in the scans the next day. It seems either Ad-Aware and Spybot have not deleted these 5 entries of spyware properly, or these entries somehow manage to re-generate themselves each time after deletion. I wonder how I can delete them permanently.

BTW, I now use the built-in on-screen keyboard of Windows XP to enter passwords without actually typing on the keyboard. Is this an effective way of preventing the spyware from accessing my personal information?

Many thanks indeed.

Yes, the "screen Keyboard" will defeat spyware/rtojan attempts to get your data.
Dunno about the spyware though.... what are they called and have you searched google for a solution?

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, they are indeed DSO Exploits, oatman.

New spyware entry

Thanks really oatman for the link.

With the instructions in it, I have finally managed to download the long overdue updates for Spybot. :eek:

The DSO Exploits are now fixed, but a new spyware entry has been found. It is identified by Spybot as SchedLgu.txt, a back-up file located in C/WINDOWS/SchedLgu.txt. In the first time, Spybot was unable to fix the problem and recommended a restart of my computer. After the restart, a new scan was performed and the entry was spotted again, yet Spybot was still unable to fix it. However, neither Ad-Aware nor PestPetrol identified this entry.

I wonder how I can tackle this new problem. And really sorry for being so messy. :eek: