Corrupt config

Racer

Shut down my computer last night, was working no problems.
Today won't boot, comes up with
'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
windows\system\32\config\system
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original set up cd rom. select 'r' at the first screen to start repari'

I can't get to the cd to do that... I changed the BIOS to boot from CD and get the same error message.

:(

Thank you, but if I press F9 on boot I get to
verifying DMI pool data,
then
no HPA enabled drive, press any key to boot.

Arrgggg...

And I get the same error trying to get into safe mode! (F8)
:(
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original set up cd rom. select 'r' at the first screen to start repari'

Racer, this happened to one of my machines on Sunday and another one yesterday.

Coincidence or what?

...and...isn't that interesting...?

:rolleyes:

As it currently stands neither machine is showing any inclination to be re-configured (even after hard drive formats) and I'm on the point of ordering 2 new hard-drives. I can't believe it either, but I have tried everything else I can think of.

Oh dear..
I was thinking of new hard drive too...

Odd that fomattng didn't work?

Formatting worked just fine, on both m/cs.

Re-install XP Pro worked fine on both.

Re-boot....didn't....

I don't suppose you've looked at c:\windows\repair\config.nt by any chance?

I suspect it might be worth your while copying this file into c:\windows\system32\...

etc.

Cheers

Mayfly

I would like to be able to copy something, but I can't get into safe mode.

Oh and I had to move the hard drive connection on the motherboard and then switch it back again

Hello everyone,

Im having exactly the same problem ... coincidence .. on one of my machines. Safe mode doesnt work and when I do the recovery console after selecting 1 and pressing enter it freezes. What I mean is there is some text,

"1: c:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?"

And I type in '1' and press enter then it freezes and nothing happens, I cant type anything and the keyboard doesnt appear to work and the CD doesnt eject

All this happened after my computer was frozen and I pressed the reset button, is there were all my problams began?

And if I dont do anything the computer wil not start but displays

'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

I am at a total loss as my pc wont start, safe mode wont boot, and recovery console frozen.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

:cry: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One trick I found was hold the key down 'all' the time, not just press a bit on boot

(BTW am using the computer I was having problems with to type this and virtually back to normal now.... needed a few drivers and program re-installs)

All this happened after my computer was frozen and I pressed the reset button, is there were all my problams began?
I shut down normally and computer was running okay.. then it went wrong

No the mouse and keyboard are not wireless.

One trick I found was hold the key down 'all' the time, not just press a bit on boot

(BTW am using the computer I was having problems with to type this and virtually back to normal now.... needed a few drivers and program re-installs)

Do you mean holding down the key to boot in safe mode or on the recovery console, also how did you get it working - did it just start working.

Thanks

BTW I have tried to reconnect all my connections .... nothing

Really strange though that my recovery console thing freezes I have tried different keyboards nothing - any ideas? Really strange that the same problem happened to three of us during a week.

I can get to the sage mode options but I get the same error message If i try safe mode, I cant log on ...

Thanks again

Found out it is not an uncommon problem with XP!

No it didn't just start working I had to use this

!!!WARNING, please confirm this on another web site in case I have copied it incorrectly as this can cause serious damage to your computer if incorrect !!!

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

that destroyed all system restore points, the reason I had to re-install things like drivers for internet etc.

when I got it up and running again, first thing I did was check for spyware and viruses but it was clean apart from 1 cookie I didn't want ( I am very careful and do spyware delete every day)

Last edited: