Reinstalling Windows! (And keep files!)

dougy_gb

11 0
I have reinstalled windows in this manner. It replaced files that were possibly corrupted or that have been overwritten and were incompatible versions. I did not overwrite redundant files or drivers from devices that have been removed so I did not remove any conflicts it might have. It was essential that I made a backup of my files! I used a 'windows boot disk' to restart my PC. Then I reinstalled windows from a Microsoft Windows 98 2nd Edition CD. It might tell me it has found a file that is newer than the one it is about to install. I kept the newer files when I was prompted! If this did not help clear up my problem after I had finished the reinstalation I would repeat the reinstalation process then when asked do I want to replace the newer files I would say no. I have done this on my system and it has not removed any of my business files. This way just overlays windows files on top of my existing files. PS. I """Avoided""" "FDISK" + "Formating" these would wipe out my system clean!
- http://search.eu.microsoft.com/default.asp?siteid=us:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ChartMan

Legendary member
5,580 46
Further to that, On W98/W95 simplly delete "WIN.COM" and re-install windows .) This overwrites all windows system files, but leaves everything else intact. Just watch for the screen that says
"INSTALL TO WINDOWS.000" or "other directory". Chose " other directory" and enter "WINDOWS".
Failure to do this gives you a second Win98 system under windows.000 directory :(

dougy_gb

11 0
Windows missing file!

Do you have a vxd file or some other file missing off your Win 98 system. Search and reinstate it in "windows" type in "sfc" in the "run" box. (In Windows me/xp use "System restore")

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock