Copper sector

bgold

Established member
532 5
Copper is still in a clear bull trend but look at the chart of an price index of copper stocks (sum of PD, FCX and PCU - PD has about 50% weight!). Not perfect, but it seems much weaker than the metal.
I see a triple top with several lower lows and highs since.
Volume at tops are weak and rise near bottoms (bottom piucking?). Momentum indicators are weak.

Is there a Head & Shoulder formation?
Seems to be more pronounced in PD (see next posting)

Keen to hear your insight? :)

Attachments

• copper index.png
    copper index.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 373

bgold

Established member
532 5
PD in possible H&S formation?

Very aggressive players short PD here (81.70) with stop just above Shoulder at 85. Others might wait and sell break of neckline 2 (~77'ish if soon).

With an initial target: $65-60, this looks like a reasonable swing return.
(not sure if the $65 target arrow qualifies under TA rules?)

What do you think?

Attachments

• pd.png
    pd.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 322

bgold

Established member
532 5
Phelps Dodge

PD seemed to have made a temporary bottom on back of impressive copper recovery. Copper trend appears to be still up which will probably delay the PD's slide (?).

I was stopped out at 74.80 for a $7 gain. Can't complain other than that position was just 1/4 size. Will be looking for good short entries nearer to the neckline 2 or even higher.

Attachments

• pd20apr.png
    pd20apr.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 344

PeterTT

87 1
mmm not sure I would want to short this one here .. I think the base metals are just ranging here and cannot see them breaking down yet. I am small long copper from few days ago so enjoying this rally! If Phelps went through 70 then I might get more excited about shorting it.

Peter

bgold

Established member
532 5
PeterTT, i would agree. I was short from 81.90 down to 74.80.

Copper is either in what what seems to be a contracting triangle wave iv with wave d projecting ~135 and wave e sub~130 in next few weeks. thereafter a wave v (circled) rallly beyond ~142. Or, completed wave 4 and thrust up into wave 5.

As you say, not yet a good time to be short PD.

Attachments

• dcpa.gif
    dcpa.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock