Best Thread Capital Spreads

Aslo it is not true that orders go through automatically and your dealers don't notice small bets. They do keep £10pp trades unfilled for minutes all the time, they then reject them if they don't fancy your trade but you can't actually cancel them while the ticket asks you to 'please wait'.

How hard is it to get this stuff fixed, Simon mate?

By the way Steve concerning your last post, as you mention Argos Online, please see below the clause taken from the Argos Terms and Conditions

4.2 The price you pay is the price displayed on this website at the time we receive your order apart from the following two exceptions:
a) For products reserved online for store pick up or any other reservation service the price you pay is the price in store on the day of collection.
b) While we try and ensure that all prices on our website are accurate, errors may occur. If we discover an error in the price of goods you have ordered we will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it. If we are unable to contact you we will treat the order as cancelled. If you cancel and you have already paid for the goods, you will receive a full refund

Obviously they can, and do, put clauses to protect themselves from price errors in their contracts. I think that this rather refutes your entire argument.

Simon

Nonsense Simon, Perhaps you haven’t taken the time to read the last four or five posts which I have made on the matter. The part of the Argos T&C which you post reinforces the points which I have raised and certainly doesn’t ‘refute’ them as you suggest.

Simon, I think that you will find, if you read their T&C carefully, that they state that no contract is entered into at the moment the client places an order even if payment is taken. This gives Argos time to review and reject pending orders if the price is wrong. Earlier pricing errors were enforceable by clients because the various firms issued conformations, instantaneously, which confirmed that orders had been ‘accepted’.

This is the section on ‘Order Process’ taken from the same T&C which you have also quoted from;

2. Order process

2.1 Please see the Home delivery information and How to use this website section for information on how to place an order. All orders that you place on this website will be subject to acceptance in accordance with these terms and conditions.

2.2 The 'confirmation' stage sets out the final details of your order. Following this, we will send to you an order acknowledgement email detailing the products you have ordered. Please note that this email is not an order confirmation or order acceptance from Argos.

2.3 Acceptance of your order and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on despatch to you of the products ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order or you have cancelled it (please refer to Returns and refunds).

Also;

4.4 Title to any products you order on this website shall pass to you on delivery of the products provided that we have processed and received payment in full for the products.

I hope that you can see how the firm have circumvented the problem of pricing errors? They simply keep ALL orders as ‘unaccepted offers’ until they are ready to dispatch the items. Term 2.2 clearly states that emails confirming orders does not constitute ‘acceptance’ with Term 2.3 clearly stating at what point a contract is legally formed. Term 4.4 clearly illustrates the points I have made in previous posts regarding ‘legal title’. The point which you seem to be missing is the point at which CS actually form a contract, in regard to the individual bets, with its clients. Argos gets around the ‘pricing issue’ by not forming a contract with their clients at the time the clients place their orders. Meanwhile you seem to be arguing that you can ‘cancel’ bets AFTER acceptance has occurred – you then quote a section of Argos T&C (out of context since the Terms of section 2 are vital in setting out the framework as to when a contract is actually formed) which you imply is doing the same thing when in fact they’re not. The terms which you post are merely demonstrating Argos’s rights to reject clients ‘offer to contract’ which has yet be accepted. At no point do Argos appear to be claiming a right to cancel or reject an order after acceptance has occurred.

Their use of their terms and conditions appears fair and unbiased. Whilst the firm keeps orders on its systems in an unaccepted state the client retains the right to withdraw that order and therefore the T&C don’t cause an imbalance in the rights of the clients. All they are really doing in the T&C is moving the point of acceptance and therefore removing the grey area of potential ‘implied contract’. An issue known as ‘Behavioural Acceptance’ is recognised in law. When you walk into a shop for a sandwich at lunchtime you might pick up a pack of BLT and plonk it on the counter along with a drink. The cashier might then type the cost of the items into the till without so much as a word. You then hand over a fiver and wait for your change. At that point ‘behavioural acceptance’ has occurred; the cashier, acting on behalf of the business, has accepted your offer to buy the items at the prices indicated on them. At no point did the cashier actually utter the words “Trade accepted” and subsequently reiterate the terms of the contract back to you yet a contract was formed. My point is that it is legitimate for a firm like Argos to clarify, through its T&C, that there is no such behavioural acceptance in simply taking an order onto its system even if money changes hands. Again, in early cases of internet price errors, firms were forced to deliver goods to clients due to implied contracts brought about by behavioural acceptance mainly caused by the processing of payments.

The problem which you have with is a spread bet error is fact that the contract is already formed before you notice that an error has been made. By that time ‘legal title’ of the position / contract has passed from yourselves to the client. Legally speaking you cannot just snatch that legal title back just because your back-office systems allow you to do it. It could be determined that doing that was ‘Theft’ from a legal perspective.

I should point out that, having written all of these posts, I don’t actually have a gripe with CS or indeed any spreadbetting firm. I’m just very interested in these legal matters and don’t like to see clients bullied.
Simon, I don’t want this to come across as an attack on CS or indeed you. It’s just that you are the only one who is up for the challenge of sparring with clients on a message board!

Take care,
Steve.

Simon,

The question I would be asking myself is quite simply this:

Why has there been a huge number of negative comments about CS but not about IG ?

There is clearly a major difference in something they are doing that CS is not doing or we would see the same comments as has been levied at CS on here. In the past I have been a company director and the only aim of our business was to destroy our competition. That meant that we constantly benchmarked our performance against our key competition. Where they were better than us we set up project teams to not just catch up but be even better in that area where they had once been better than us. To do this we used a structured problem solving process and a number of continuous improvement philosophies, tools and techniques. Over time we became the preferred choice of almost all our competitors. This is something that CS would greatly benefit from as there is no doubt that the negative publicity must be having an effect.

If you beat your competition in all areas that matter to customers then you will get the lions share of the business which I presume is what CS would want to do. As things stand now IG are in this position.

Paul

Simon,

Ifs, buts, whens. Clauses don't refute anything - they merely compound confusion and create uncertainty and ambiguity, and a lack of professionalism.

Grant.

Simon,

The question I would be asking myself is quite simply this:

Why has there been a huge number of negative comments about CS but not about IG ?

There is clearly a major difference in something they are doing that CS is not doing or we would see the same comments as has been levied at CS on here. In the past I have been a company director and the only aim of our business was to destroy our competition. That meant that we constantly benchmarked our performance against our key competition. Where they were better than us we set up project teams to not just catch up but be even better in that area where they had once been better than us. To do this we used a structured problem solving process and a number of continuous improvement philosophies, tools and techniques. Over time we became the preferred choice of almost all our competitors. This is something that CS would greatly benefit from as there is no doubt that the negative publicity must be having an effect.

If you beat your competition in all areas that matter to customers then you will get the lions share of the business which I presume is what CS would want to do. As things stand now IG are in this position.

Paul
A short comment on this, could the reason be that IG does not have a company representative on these boards? Also tighter than normal "fixed spread", is definitely a problem for some SB's to handle. The real market has in fact at some instances wider spread, for example FTSE previous to news releases. I am not defending SB's, just merely trying to understand some of the causes for their behavior.

Gle101,

Two possible explanations:

1) Lack of sophistication in running a book. We know the markets are largely unpredictable but mm's (read SB's) make contingencies via hedging strategies, etc. This isn't apparent here.

2) They know exactly what they're doing and simply pulling 'fast ones' on customers who lack sophistication.

Grant.

trader 333

i think you will find huge areas on different threads where our competitors get just as much grief as I do sometimes here! You must weigh it up by taking into account that it is the same three or four people who place adverse comments every time. We have a huge number of clients who are very happy with our product. You will always find those who complain ad-nauseam (generally about a problem that happened a year ago and was, in most cases, due to an action by themselves).

We have opened 100s of client accounts who have some through from t2w links. If the claims of some were true don't you think this thread would be ten times longer and filled with bile.

Price Errors.

aside from actual instances where clients may wish to place comment can i suggest that the legal discusion is not one that will not be solved on this thread (which is not really here for such things) might I suggest that somebody open a specific thread for discussions on this matter rather than repeat on the CS thread the same points over and over again. The comments are quite long and involved and rather clog up the flow of the thread

not that they are not occassionally interesting

Simon

Simon,

There's no obligation to read anything. Moreover, this thread provides a context.

Grant.

rather than repeat on the CS thread the same points over and over again

-------------------------------------------------------

Simon,

In which case, would you please answer the questions that all this discussion seems to be boiling down to. Namely,

1. At what point in time is a contract placed with CS and enforceable on both sides.
2. In order for it be enforceable by the customer, how do we get to see the price data from which you evidently are able to claim that a trade is placed on an incorrect price.

Thank you.

Dave

trader 333

i think you will find huge areas on different threads where our competitors get just as much grief as I do sometimes here! You must weigh it up by taking into account that it is the same three or four people who place adverse comments every time. We have a huge number of clients who are very happy with our product. You will always find those who complain ad-nauseam (generally about a problem that happened a year ago and was, in most cases, due to an action by themselves).

We have opened 100s of client accounts who have some through from t2w links. If the claims of some were true don't you think this thread would be ten times longer and filled with bile.

Price Errors.

aside from actual instances where clients may wish to place comment can i suggest that the legal discusion is not one that will not be solved on this thread (which is not really here for such things) might I suggest that somebody open a specific thread for discussions on this matter rather than repeat on the CS thread the same points over and over again. The comments are quite long and involved and rather clog up the flow of the thread

not that they are not occassionally interesting

Simon

We are not here to entertain you mate. why donthca just fix your pathetic platform?

1- Don't fill orders you said was rejected

2- If you are going to take time to see if you like my trade, then give me a chance to cancel it while you make up your mind. If you want to requote, do so.

3- If you want to take money out of my account, let me know

4- don't take minutes to fill orders (accept, requote or reject)

You say this problems don't happen. You are a liar, Simon, because they do happen. These are the problems you need to sort out and I bet no one is going to be interested in you or what you say until you do that, and when you do that, we are going to be even less interested. Trader333 told you what you need to know. You think your platform is a good as IG's? You must be dreaming mate.

By the way, this is not a personal attack: I care about you personally as much as I care about the boss of Woolworths. It is just that your platform is useless for high frequency day trading and I find it outrageous that you think it is acceptable to expose people to so much risk.

Am I repeating myself 'ad nauseum'? yes I am. As I say, my purpose is not to entertain you.

... And we're still waiting to hear from those people who've been in losing trades and then heard that there's been a palpable error and the money is back in their account...

i think you will find huge areas on different threads where our competitors get just as much grief as I do sometimes here!

I was not referring to other competitors only IG and I have not found any complaints about them elsewhere. In my view they are the industry standard benchmark and it would make sense to measure yourself against this and put in place measures to improve in areas where they are clearly performing better.

Paul

I was not referring to other competitors only IG and I have not found any complaints about them elsewhere. In my view they are the industry standard benchmark and it would make sense to measure yourself against this and put in place measures to improve in areas where they are clearly performing better.

Paul

They are miles ahead of everyone at the moment as SB goes,good platform instant execution and your able to place your stop before each trade,Their charting package is very good as well.

They are miles ahead of everyone at the moment as SB goes,good platform instant execution and your able to place your stop before each trade,Their charting package is very good as well.

I agree with Paul (Trader333) that IG are clearly the benchmark in spreadbetting but Im not sure that you have to have ambitions of matching them in order to have a successful business. Coca Cola are the most successful soft drinks company in the world but Im sure that there are other companies who are successful and have a loyal following without having even 1/10th of the turnover.

You dont have to be the biggest or the best to be 'good'.

Steve.

I agree with Paul (Trader333) that IG are clearly the benchmark in spreadbetting but Im not sure that you have to have ambitions of matching them in order to have a successful business. Coca Cola are the most successful soft drinks company in the world but Im sure that there are other companies who are successful and have a loyal following without having even 1/10th of the turnover.

Steve.

Capital Spreads are like Del Boys tap water.
YouTube - Only Fools And Horses MOTHER NATURE'S SON PART 6

Paul

Totally agree about IG, no issues at all. Fills are precise and instant. Prices closely marked to market(s).

It does raise the issue, as has been rasied before: Why all the fuss about CS not being up to scratch? OK, so if it isn't as good as IG, why spend all that effort arguing with Simon on here. Just walk away and use another provider.

When I was shorting EUR/USD today, I was using IG, not worrying about whether or not CS was working or not!

Totally agree about IG, no issues at all. Fills are precise and instant. Prices closely marked to market(s).

It does raise the issue, as has been rasied before: Why all the fuss about CS not being up to scratch? OK, so if it isn't as good as IG, why spend all that effort arguing with Simon on here. Just walk away and use another provider.

When I was shorting EUR/USD today, I was using IG, not worrying about whether or not CS was working or not!

I made some money from IG today as well, but I think we have a duty to make others aware of what is going on with terrible bookies like Capital Spreads and not let the bookie get away with unacceptable standards.

I agree Steve but you do have to be able to match the quality and in particular address quickly any "dissatisfaction" factors that customers consider of importance.

Paul