Best Thread Capital Spreads

capitalspreads said:
jyde
FX futures ....

I am afraid that this illiquidity makes it impossible for us to quote it on a daily basis.

sorry
Simon

Simon, thank you for explaining, I am finally beginning to grasp the concept.
Just one small thing, if I may: When I look at the GBP and EURO index futures from CME, they are very(!) liquid. I wholly understand that all other pairs are not.

You know, I have just realised what my basic problem in grasping this is, and it is actually not technical at all. If I phrase my question like this:
When betting on either GBP or EURO with CS, would I be best helped by charting the Spot (ex. EUR-A0 from FOREX) or should I go with the futures (ex. 6E M5 from CME), or even the E-Mini futures (ex. ZE M5 from CME)?

When I trade(d) with your old company, the answer was clearly CME.
Now, if I want to hit not the price, but the ofsett/change to your prices on these two markets best, should I FOREX or CME it?

I think if you could illustrate this for me, I will have my answer and thus will finally stop nagging you about it.... promise!

Thank you again for always taking the time.

All the best...

I wonder of you could comment on this please, Simon.

As you know(!) the dollar made a big move late yesterday afternoon - cable and euro both went through the floor.

Just as this was happening, your platform went down, with markets either closed or telephone only - except that when I rang Capital Spreads I got a recorded message (I assume bulk of calls jammed the switchboard?). So in my case closed with no phone service. Result: losing trade I couldn't trade out of early, and couldn't trade a contra move (had I wanted to).

The platform came back on just in time for the move consolidating.

That well known stop-running bucket shop fxcm (who I don't use incidentally, but friends have) also went down at the same time.

I've always been impressed with Capital Spreads and have recommened you to others, but I though I'd enquire rather than just put 2 and 2 together and make 5.

Hmmmm.....

Simon Same comment as BroadSword.
Also since you upgraded your platform it is Really really slow. aslo the other annoying thing is that before you could leave the "CLOSE" button ON and watch ( also MOve) the box in the window - NOw the blasted BOX is fixed and Gets timed out (is it 4mins etc) Can you please rectify and I think the decent thing would have been to ask the customers what they wanted and then alter things.

rgds
zarif

jyde

you are quite correct when you state that the Eur/USD dollaer is reasonably liquid but i can assure you that the GBP is not. At least not regularly enough which is what we require. If we offer markets we like them to be reasonably in line with the total offerings so just offering one or two daily futures markets on some FX pairs would merely confuse people.

your best bet when using charts on FX is to use the Spot markets. (in fact these are the only ones we offer!!)

Broadsword

I can state without any hesitation that we have nothing whatsoever to do with FXCM , in fact I dont know who they are. The reason we would both have gone down at the same time is that (presumably) we both use the same date feed supplier. This is becoming an increasing problem with trading platforms in that there is a limited number of data supliers but an increasing number of platforms so that when a supplier fails it will generally affect more than one trading site.

Zarif

yes we have put a timer on the deal ticket ... this is because of load levels on the site.. we are getting the floating ticket back again. The IT guys did that without asking and we did not know it had happened until clients mentioned it.

sometimes changes have to be made to unhold the integrity of the site.... sadly if I asked clients do they mind if we limit the time on deal tickets they would have said NO..fair enough... but it was decided that with the steady increase in client levels that the load caused by clients just leaving tickets open for days on end would soon cause problems so we acted before this happened.

Simon

Last edited:
What exactly do you imply by saying that the GBP is not a liquid currency ? Cable is the most liquid currency pair in the majors. Or is is that when paired with an illiquid currency the result is illiquidity by virtue of the other one being illiquid in the first place? Do you mean illiquidity by default ? Please clarify
I am very curious to know your reasoning underpinning your statement, thanks.

Kind Regards.

SOCRATES said:
Cable is the most liquid currency pair in the majors.
Really? I've always assumed that EUR/USD is far more liquid than GBP/USD, and I've always imagined that they "behave" as if that's so, too. But sometimes you see what to expect to see and interpret what you expected to see. I may be mistaken, and as you might gather from the fact that I can use the words "Euro" and "always" in the same sentence, I haven't been trading nearly as long as some people around here anyway.

The Euro~US$ pair may have more movement, but movement in any instrument is not directly linked to liquidity, but a consequence of supply demand shifts.

Liquidity is something different. It implies that a ready, active market exists for the instrument and that it has continuous and for practical purposes uninterrupted paritcipation, thus making buying and selling easy with instantaneous fills and with very narrow spreads and no restriction on size.

And now teatime, Roberto, chat with you later if u like.

Kind Regards.

socrates

GBP/USD SPOT is very liquid but the CME futures are not is what i was saying. My response was due to a request that we (Capital Spreads) launce a Daily Future on the currencies and I was explaining why we, and no one else as far as i can see, cannot actually offer that market.

As i write the CME bid offer is 4 points wide with 20 odd contracts on either side, (20 contracts equates to £60 bet) this is in the middle of the trading day with no volatile movements going on. Quite frequently the bid/offer spread in Cable on the CME goes out to 10 or more points wide.

As you say Cable is very liquid which is why we offer it at the moment on a spread of 3 (no fees or commissions etc) ...Roberto is correct the Euro is the most liquid followed bu USD/JPY and then Cable

Simon

capitalspreads said:
socrates
My response was due to a request that we (Capital Spreads) launce a Daily Future on the currencies and I was explaining why we, and no one else as far as i can see, cannot actually offer that market.
Simon

Simon, Indeed it was, and thank you for that. I will take your advise and stick with the spots.

All the best...

capitalspreads said:
I can state without any hesitation that we have nothing whatsoever to do with FXCM , in fact I dont know who they are.
I wasn't suggesting for a moment they were anything to do with yourselves. (I'm surprised you don't know who they are).

capitalspreads said:
The reason we would both have gone down at the same time is that (presumably) we both use the same date feed supplier. This is becoming an increasing problem with trading platforms in that there is a limited number of data supliers but an increasing number of platforms so that when a supplier fails it will generally affect more than one trading site.
OK, that explains it then! Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

floating deal ticket

I just come on the side of Zarif and saying that it would be good to get back floating ticket .

It was very good feature of your trading platform.

Tighter spreads mean lower dealing costs. With a 4 point spread* on WALL STREET, a 2 point spread on FTSE 100, with Finspreads.

Capital spreads we know you already offer this. but to be a real winner and let the other firms behind give us 4 points spread on the daily Dow future, the same as the Dow cash.

As I think 5 point spread is an odd number. as in you would be 3 points spread on the Ask and 2 points on the bid.

The fairer option would be to have 2 points on the Ask and 2 points on the Bid = 4 points spread.

Its only a matter of time before someone will offer 4 points spread on the dow future. go on be first.I will spread the news if you do. :)

sun

I've tried a search to no avail so apologies if this has been covered, but can anyone explain why I get 'invalid user group' when I try to open a chart.

My apologia simon I had a look at your site and you do offer 4 point spread on the Dow futures daily. My fault i have not looked in to your site for a few weeks as I day trade with IB but I will give your a go with 4 tick spread on the dow future. My account is set up with you.

This is fair 2 ticks spread either side of the ask and bid, well done capital spreads. I would guess you be closing down some of the other companies. the way your are going.because the bottom line is everyone wants tight spreads and you are offering this. keep it up.

Hi Simon,
I can't see volume moving averages as an option - any chance these could be added?

Also, any news on new realtime charts? (well, it's been a few days since someone last asked!).

J.

FetteredChinos said:
thought you were a no indicators man, James ;)

Ah but, but.... erm... but... Moving avs are not really indicators in my opinion, just a way of helping me see the wood for the trees.

I don't use nowt else, honest guv.

We are watching

james6848 said:
Ah but, but.... erm... but... Moving avs are not really indicators in my opinion, just a way of helping me see the wood for the trees.

I don't use nowt else, honest guv.

Hmmm - no backsliding now James ;)