Best Thread Capital Spreads

sun

I probably made it a little confusing .... what i implied was... if you put a stop on our system at 10503 and you put a stop on City or Fins at a market trade of 10500 you would be filled in both instances at the same price (10503) and on exactly the same print in the market (10500) although on our tighter prices your stop may not actually go off until 10501 trades...which gives you a slight advantage trading on our system.

If the market that you are trading in is a futures based market you will not be filed on our system unless the actual market trades (or the bid offer spread sugests) at a price equivalent to half our spread price away (plus or minus rounding) . As I said City and Fins add the spread after the print if you request a market print stop...we have the spread permanently built in.

Simon

In sun123 defence, What he is saying if he place a screen order at 10500 with fins or city but the market only traded down to 10501then railed 50 points off this number, you would know 100% that you was still long. But with the quote price YOU WOULD GET FILLED.

Even if you left a quote with you self fins or city, you would get filled. But this is based on screen price, and if you got a stop at 10500 but the market did not trade there you be still long, Hope you got the point, I think it's clear what sun123 is trying to say.

CJ

yes i know what he is saying but in the same way with us if you put your stop at 10497 and the low was 10501 you would not be filled either.. Is what I was trying to say ! ...... but that if 10500 did print both stops (city and us) would be activated just the same.

I think it is often a point of elegance, it is nice to see the actual print !

I think we are trying to argue about how many angels can dance on a pin !!

Good luck in these quiet markets

Simon

Simon

Me again, .If I was to trade a modest 2 time a day trading the Daily Dow future, it would cost me 3 ticks to get in and 3 ticks to get out trading with capitalspreads.Over one weeks trading I would need 60 points just to cover the spread. Furthermore trading 2 times a day. You offer 5 points to trade the daily Dow future,which is no different to fins, cityindex ,or igindex they also off 3 points to get in, and 3 out.

If you want to beat them, offer you clients 3 points to get in and 2 points to get out on a stop. Then this would be a true 5 points spread.For a trader leaving orders with you. I would say 100% of the time they are paying 6 point spread round turn,although you claim to offer 5 point spread.

For the traders out there who can cover 60 points a week for trading 2 times a day,just to cover the spread, good luck.

Regards

CJ

cj12

well if you believe that then no matter what i say is not going to make a blind bit of difference. I am not sure how, when we quote a five point spread you can somehow work it out to be six points !! and then equate it to city and fins etc who do indeed quote six (by the way we do quote our front month Dow (December at the moment) at 6 points wide)

Frankly we have got better things to do than manipulate stops at the very lowest low of any move... and anyway how do we know what is the low print until well after the event. All I can say is that we have a great number of trade 2 win commentators as clients and if we were treating them as you seem to suggest dont u think they would be commenting on this thread.
Yes we do get the odd minor dispute about stops etc... show me any broking company that doesnt...you would hardly believe me if i said otherwise...

our quotes on the indices are based upon the bid/offer not on the print. So if the low bid/offer in the dow was 10500/10501 then our low quote would be 10498-10503 if it went offered at 10500 then our low would be 10497/10502..As I have repeatedly said we do not bias our prices at all... it is just a computer looking at the real bid/offer in the market (for the underlying product) and then if it shows a stop should be activated our dealers will look at it and decide whether it is 'fair' or not.

But as I said, if you dont believe me, then whatever i say is pointless.

Good luck everyone

Simon

I assume that if I have a target order in your system when either the market closes or, in the case of FX, the time you stop quoting and the market opens way past my target price I'll be filled at the new opening price and not at my original target price?

Minx

Yes if you hold overnight and it gap down you get filed when C.P opens.example You had a stop at 10400 but overnight it went down and was trading at 10350 at about 7.15am when C/P open You get filled 50 points lower than you stop.

Simon

I leave this drop now we beg to differ, on the screen price compared to quote price,

But what about this in the future, or maybe you could be first in this. Here it goes. In this example the instrument is the daily Dow future.

You dont offer a spread us such, You offer the underling market offer and bid, so everyone is trading at a real market price.

But on a fill you would then add a 2, maybe 2 and half spread on the fill. The same with stops Do you think one day this may come in to play

Regards,

CJ

dear capitol spreads ,i still think putting stops in mkt is asking for trouble in lots of markets , what happens if news etc simply widens the spread? suddenly even if the market hasn't gone against you ,your stop can be inside the spread?, and i still stand by my feeling that pros trading (even liquid stocks say) won't want too many knowing where their stops are,( you can see the paranoia this generates by the sophisticated methods "pros" use to hide their large value stops /orders like iceberg , and invisible stops etc..but then your not actually a pro trader are you ?

Simon

When viewing spreadbetting companies I consider 'fair value' as very important. When the spreadbetting first appeared the spreads were IMHO ridiculous, as this market has expanded pressure by competition has forced spreadbetting companies to reconsider. I believe spreadbetting has a place within the trading industry because they offer an alternative to market players. It allows the private trader to enter this world without the need to risk vast sums of capital and in doing so permits much lower trading capitals for the testing process and the development of the trader before moving onto conventional trading instruments or both.

I applaud your company for recently introducing rolling cash bets and in particular your FTSE bet with a spread of just 2 points, this I feel is 'fair value'. The spread on the FTSE LIFFE Futures tends to bounce from 0.5 - 1.5 points so there is enough for you to make a profit on from any deal with a 2 point spread. When I first consider the FTSE about 4 yrs ago spreadbetting companies were quoting spreads of between 6 - 10 points. I felt they were greedy because my understanding of how spreadbetting companies work is that they make the profit from the spread.

With this in mind I know that your DAX rolling cash bet has a spread of 3 points and while this is attractive within the spreadbetting fraternity it is non the less 200% wider than the real market at a spread of just 1 point. Would you consider just as you have with the FTSE that a spread of 2 points on your DAX rolling cash bet would offer that 'fair value,' I feel more than 2 points is excessive. After all your other DAX instruments can be held at the wider spread.

I would be interested for your explanation for the wider spread.

Regards

Kevin

I'd like to support an idea from CJ12 here -
a problem, for myself, is that I am downloading esignal data for RT, EoD analysis I will use Sharescope data or TC2000, I'm looking at 'real' prices. I then decide that I want to trade XYZ at $20.30 only to find a bias in the spread for XYZ December becuase, presumably, CapitalSpreads agree with me that XYZ is a bullish chart. I'd MUCH rather have a 2pt penalty attached to the current market bid/ask and suddenly I can TA based on 'real' price charts instead of wishing I could download the SB company's version of OHLC info.
Now, allowing for the fact (sadly, "fact " is IMO the appropriate word here) that mostly everyone does well to be right 50:50, then I don't really see why, over time, the SB companies need to move their quotes? Assuming capitalspreads is actually not right so often they ought to trade rather than offer a platform, then why don't they adopt this idea, secure in the knowledge that the underlying market will play out and neither they nor their customers are 'right enough' to make price bias a sensible idea?

Why isn't my AAPL quote the same as I get RT from esignal but with a slightly larger spread? To my mind I'd rather have a bigger spread centred on reality, allowing me to choose from the spread width to decide whether to trade or not, than to have a nominally smaller spread that actually centred itself to one side of the underlying market .... I've analysed on 'real data' and it annoys me greatly to complete an analysis only to find a sizable difference between what the share is trading at and what SB companies are quoting for it.

A 2 pt spread on the FT is ***** all use if it's at 4750, I think it's going to 4800, only to discover the SB company is quoting 4790-4810!

I'd like to compliment CS, by the way, I had a long bet on MSFT when they announced a $3 handout - I was out for the day, CS closed my existing bets and opened new ones $3 lower. If MSFT hadn't then dropped like lead balloons I'd be quids in. <g> My exit strategy needs more work I think...

Dave

Dave

That is one of the big problems trading with a spreadbetter but applying real price data unless you are swing trading over several days or weeks then anything shorter IMHO is a waste of time. I always trade and chart the spreadbet price because you are playing from there own prices and rule book.

Kevin

DaveJB said:
I then decide that I want to trade XYZ at $20.30 only to find a bias in the spread for XYZ December becuase, presumably, CapitalSpreads agree with me that XYZ is a bullish chart.
Dave

Hello Dave,

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs here but.......I'm pretty confident that for shares, the price is the market price, plus an interest charge. So for example, you buy a share where the market mid price is £1, expiry date 3 months time. The SB co charges, say 6% PA, so the mid price for the sb quote would be £1.015, to reflect the lost interest over the quarter. If the price of the stock doesn't change then in 3 months tiime, just before expiry, the quote would have ramped sown to £1.The price is thus relatively easily calulated.

The above is slightly simplified as on top you have to add market spread (which may change as for any share) and the SB co comission, around 0.5 - 1% - which is fixed.

In short, for shares, there is no SB bias and the actual forward price is calculable. However, I do trade over weeks and months and might not notice small discrepencies in the quotes.

You did mention indeces and it is true that these are based on futures prices with some SB bias.

Hope this helps, all IMHO.

UTB

Damnit- gonna give this Logitech mouse to the kids, it's got a tiny button on top to go back to the previous page and I've lost count of the times I've been 3 chapters into a reply only to hear 'the click of lost posts'....

Ahem, try again....
I have a long trade open on MERQ for example, current Bid/Ask is 46.15-46.16 so centre price is 46.155... the Cspreads spread is 9 pts, (as I type it's gone to 10 pts), so logically the Dec price would be 46.11 - 46.20 or perhaps 46.10-46.19/20 say. The actual price quoted is 46.16-46.25.... CS think it's bullish as well, and whilst they haven;t moved the price a LONG way from centring on the current actual share price it's definitely about 4-5 pts (ie the entire downside spread) higher than centre.

As I understand (possibly the wrong word here) the idea, CS are betting against me being right - I can follow the logic of the spread being wider with 3 months to go than with 2 weeks to go, but not the logic of applying interest etc apparently only to the long side (this may well be a point I am failing to grasp <g>).

If I wanted to short MERQ I get a price of 46.16 which is where the price actually is, and where CS put the current price, long I get 46.25 which is 9 pts higher than the market currently prices it. To my mind it would be logical for an SB company to say 'the price is 46.16, we want 4 pts either side so 46.12-46.20, we also want an X% p.a. interest fee so that's 46.09-46.23 with 3 months to go, dwindling to 46.12-46.20 on expiry day. Whether I think it's appropriate to charge interest on holding my money is another issue!

Dave

DaveJB said:
Damnit- gonna give this Logitech mouse to the kids, it's got a tiny button on top to go back to the previous page and I've lost count of the times I've been 3 chapters into a reply only to hear 'the click of lost posts'....

Ahem, try again....
I have a long trade open on MERQ for example, current Bid/Ask is 46.15-46.16 so centre price is 46.155... the Cspreads spread is 9 pts, (as I type it's gone to 10 pts), so logically the Dec price would be 46.11 - 46.20 or perhaps 46.10-46.19/20 say. The actual price quoted is 46.16-46.25.... CS think it's bullish as well, and whilst they haven;t moved the price a LONG way from centring on the current actual share price it's definitely about 4-5 pts (ie the entire downside spread) higher than centre.

As I understand (possibly the wrong word here) the idea, CS are betting against me being right - I can follow the logic of the spread being wider with 3 months to go than with 2 weeks to go, but not the logic of applying interest etc apparently only to the long side (this may well be a point I am failing to grasp <g>).

If I wanted to short MERQ I get a price of 46.16 which is where the price actually is, and where CS put the current price, long I get 46.25 which is 9 pts higher than the market currently prices it. To my mind it would be logical for an SB company to say 'the price is 46.16, we want 4 pts either side so 46.12-46.20, we also want an X% p.a. interest fee so that's 46.09-46.23 with 3 months to go, dwindling to 46.12-46.20 on expiry day. Whether I think it's appropriate to charge interest on holding my money is another issue!

Dave

Hi Dave,

according to the SB companies(!), they make their money from the spread. The create a market in the derivative so in theory when everything is rolled up, your up bet wil be balanced by someones down bet - whichever way the price moves they win + lose = zero, leaving the profit from the spread. For larger players, or maybe when a lot of business is done one way ,they may also take out their own hedge with someone else (though I don't know who).

I only buy shares that have risen rapidly in price, and I haven't noticed the SB bias. But as I said previously, I may not pick up on fractions of a % shift, and maybe I should. But you would expect if they were to bias any trade, it would be this type.

They clearly state that the prices for indeces and sectors are based on their opinion of the market. The prices here tend to lead (in my experience) so if you take a contrarian view you benefit if you get it right, if you go with the trend you lose out. Again, the price bias is only significant to the target price (ie for bigger moves, it's less relevant, obviously).

As for interest charge -this isn't in the spread, it's in the mid price. this may be the shift you mentioned with the CS quote The mid price is higher than the mid price of the thing you're trading. This gradually tightens as the expiry date approaches. So if you're short, the price comes down at the rate of interest charges, and you benefit. If you were long, you'd lose. Note also that any dividend payment is priced in, as you wouldn't receive the dividend. So if the yield on the share is higher that the interest, the mid price would be less than the market price! If you take a long / short strategy, as I do, the effect of interest is zero.

Regarding them charging gor holding your money, I do a lot of trading through a credit account (sorry CS). I've used my old trading pot to offset the mortgage so I'm 6% PA better off, when combined with a long / short strategy. Like I say, as you benefit from the interest charge when short, it seems pretty fair to me :p Note here, for frequent trading the credit account co's, such as IG, don't compete with CS on spreads, so best avoid.

Hope this helps a bit dave.

UTB

Last edited:
Capital Spreads and other spread betting companies are making their money from their spread and the bias from the direct market price.

If you watch the market closely against the spread bet company, you will see that the spread bet price is not exactly the same as the market. This might depend on if you are long or short in a particular product.

You must remember that when spread betting you are betting against the spread bet company, not taking a position in the market. The price you are offered is biased.

They are all up to many tricks, to grab your hard earned cash:

If you click on the web site to buy at 1.00 and in the seconds it takes for the dealer to approve the trade the price has gone to 1.02 there is a good chance your trade will be rejected !

However if you buy at 1.00 and in those same seconds price goes to 0.98 you can bet your hard earned dollar that you will get filled.

Very dodgy !

well, at the risk of repeating myself, this just isn't my experience. So I suspect it's just something the individual has to see for themselves.

UTB

Mmm,
I don't have any beef regarding rejection etc as the price moves - the thing that makes me consider the difference between the 'real' mid price and the SB mid price to be an SB company bias, rather than an interest charge, is that your scenario only holds good for up bets... if they are adding interest to a mid price then they are making it overly attractive as a short! I quite understand I'm competing with the SB company here, if they wanted interest on top etc then surely the logical path is to apply the spread plus interest as a plus/minus to the underlying market price - not to apply the spread after applying interest in one direction only.

I don't consider bias underhand - I figure the company is quite likely to bias in a different direction to my own choice of direction now and then, allowing me to get an SB on at (effectively) zero cost compared to the actual market price being quoted.... it could be a smallish annoyance if I'm long and lose a few points on taking a biased entry, then when I want to exit the bias is to the short side and I lose another few points.
My main (slight) degree of annoyance is that if I knew the spread on XYZ to be say 10 pts and I knew it would be centred between the current bid/ask then I'd be happier trading the charts I'm looking at - I'd know the long bet was a bit higher than the chart showed, the short bet a bet below... I'd not swap to the SB site and find the 10 spread applied as 5 pts either side of centre... not 10 on the long side and 0 on the short.

Dave

Yes, interesting ... I _think_ I see what you mean. I must admit that I look at it rather differently (and probably not necessarily very wisely, but it's just what I'm used to): I never look at the SB price at all until I'm absolutely ready to trade. I make my decision from my own charts. If I'm trading from (for instance) a 30-minute chart, I'll look at the 5-minute chart to select a good moment to trade, and then simply click on the appropriate thingy on the SB page (already open in another window). It suits me, anyway.

I suppose the key to this is to use an SB firm you trust. (I certainly wouldn't ever want to trade with Finspreads, for example, but that's just my own opinion, and as the saying goes, yours will be completely different!). But I don't honestly think that this alleged "bias" itself is very material either way, in the long run. Call me naive, but In my opinion, this whole business is _greatly_ exaggerated by traders as an excuse for all sorts of problems they have. And if there is a "bias", I'm probably taking advantage of it anyway.

I'd be interested to see what Simon has to say on the subject, actually: it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn than there's no "bias" at all at CapSpreads.

Roberto said:
....I'd be interested to see what Simon has to say on the subject, actually: it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn than there's no "bias" at all at CapSpreads.

In post 946, Simon states that Cap Spreads don't ever bias prices.