Best Thread Capital Spreads

Guys for god sake , my comment relates to CS and other brokers as well , your trading cost is not just the advertised spread it should be = spread+slippage+rejections effect+dealer referral effect + platform outage effect , so yes if you get what you see without any of these then your cost is 1 point but that's not the reality , i was generous when i said 4 points i would suspect it is much more than that in days like yesterday , i cant believe we are arguing about this .
Gle if you don't get these rejections then that's good but that doesn't mean others don't : maybe you trade counter-trend and others trade breakouts , maybe u trade small and others trade 100p/p , maybe you are not profitable and others make 1K a day , my comment relates to minitrader experience ...
Don't you try to sneak out of the mess you made.:)
Then the same calculation must apply to trading DMA as well. There are internal and external risk parameter that have to be taken in account trading both markets. I think minitrader101 has to give us more information what really has happened.

Don't you try to sneak out of the mess you made.:)
Then the same calculation must apply to trading DMA as well. There are internal and external risk parameter that have to be taken in account trading both markets. I think minitrader101 has to give us more information what really has happened.

Didnt sneak out , yes your real cost is not just the advertised spread . ie : is your trading cost zero points with these zero spread offers out there ? no .

Didnt sneak out , yes your real cost is not just the advertised spread . ie : is your trading cost zero points with these zero spread offers out there ? no .
You made quite a magic trick turning 1 point spread into 4 point spread.:D

tar

you really should trade the platforms you comment on as it devalues any statement you make. taking every minor issue as some kind of conspiracy theory is not rational.

in reality over 95% of all trades/orders get executed at the requested price. to get to a 4 point average on the Dow.... every failed trade would have to then be executedat least 60 points away.

simon

Last edited:
You made quite a magic trick turning 1 point spread into 4 point spread.:D

It is not magic it is simple , during huge swings and high volatility your real spread is much more than 1 , 4 was an average estimate i think it is much more during high volatility ,ofcourse it depends on your trading style and when u trade ...

It is not magic it is simple , during huge swings and high volatility your real spread is much more than 1 , 4 was an average estimate i think it is much more during high volatility ,ofcourse it depends on your trading style and when u trade ...
No, sorry, your explanation doesn't hold together.

tar

you really should trade the platforms you comment on as it devalues any statement you make. taking every minor issue as some kind of conspiracy theory is not rational.

Simon i did trade with CS for a couple of years back in the days , my comments has nothing to do with conspiracy theories it is just trading 101 , i am sure everyone agrees worldspreads and Cantorindex zero spreads offer shouldn't be taken literally ...

Whats going on with LCG shares , everything is ok ?

So Cantor's zero spreads means literally zero ?!
Yes zero spread is zero spread. Whether it mirrors the underlaying or not in the instant you get into the position. It doesn't cost anything to get into this specific product they offer. If they execute properly without restriction or slippage is another issue altogether. Although it is not possible for a market maker in the long run to offer zero spread with some trading restrictions.

Last edited:
shakone
what is the cost of any trading?

on the exchnage if you trade and there is no offer you will not get the fill or if you do market orders you may very well get constsnt slippage.

on Capital Spreads you will only not get the fill in normal circumstances if the trade request is outside the spread when the price engine receives your trade instruction.

so on the dow it would only be rejected if you tried to buy at 13044.0-13045.0 and the bid/offer was 13045.1-46.1 (i.e 13045.1 is higher than 13045.0) by the time the price engine engine got the instruction. So against these times when you might get rejected must also be mentioned the massive number of times when you get a fill at your requested price with Capital Spreads when you would have had to pay up on an exchange.

the problem for us is that the clients just cannot see these events and so only concentrate on the rare rejections.

simon

Thanks. And sure the underlying has a 1 point spread, and direct access will have commission charges, so I understand you can't fill every order at a 1 point spread without slipping. But the question was whether you allow negative slippage or not?

You say the order in the example above would not be filled. But if it were a stop order, it would be filled, right? So the requirement for filling it and allowing negative slippage I guess is that the order must be already placed with you. Is this correct?

So do you also give positive slippage on orders placed with you in advance?

I realise most orders are accepted and filled.

Also like Vasco, would be nice to know how you arrive at these decimal prices :)

orders are nearly all filled at the price requested

a take profit order (unless it is triggered on the opening price of the day) or new orders to buy below the market or sell above the market are always filled at the requested price as they act like boulders in the stream. exactly as they do on the futures exchange. your order is sitting there and any buy order coming through will just buy your sell order at the price set by you. Even if the buy order is a market order up to a higher price than your limit order is set.

stop orders or sell orders below the market or buy orders above the market may be subject to slippage but.. in reality this only really happens over economic/corporate releases.

the decimal place is created by the fair value number put in by the dealers at the start of the day. for the wall street contract it is nearly always a whole number so there is not so much decimal obvious. as the spread is 1 and the futures contract is always a whole number this means that our wall street quote will almost always be nought or point 5

for the FTSE as the futures can be 0.5 points the price options get bigger and you can have 0.3 , 0.5 0.7 or 0.0 plus whatever decimal is put on the Fair Value (FV)

so if FV was nought and the Future was 5445.5-5446.0 Capital spreads would quote 5445.3-5446.3

simon

Last edited:
lol what a lot of replies. Well over the last few days I tried various trades and yes I trade short term the amount varies from £1 to higher stakes. I don't think I have any latency on my system/system route) as I don't suffer these problems when I use other providers, though they don't have 1 point spreads. I used TCPview to see what port and ip address the flashplayer opens up to but I cant test it with ping as I think the host is set not to respond, however when I trace the route its using to get there (I'm on BT) it seems to be relatively fast, e.g. the prices are indicative to reflect what the dow futures on my charting system is reflecting its just the execution. I suppose I wouldn't mind so much if I had some magical fills in my favour but that didnt seem to happen. I have only used the system for circa a week on and off and more over the last 2 days (prior to today) but it just wasn't happening for me, this doesn't necessarily means its the same for others.
If you re able to provide me with a suitable IP address/dns name to test packets against (let me know packet size you want set also) I'm happy to share my response times.

Kind regards

lol what a lot of replies. Well over the last few days I tried various trades and yes I trade short term the amount varies from £1 to higher stakes. I don't think I have any latency on my system/system route) as I don't suffer these problems when I use other providers, though they don't have 1 point spreads. I used TCPview to see what port and ip address the flashplayer opens up to but I cant test it with ping as I think the host is set not to respond, however when I trace the route its using to get there (I'm on BT) it seems to be relatively fast, e.g. the prices are indicative to reflect what the dow futures on my charting system is reflecting its just the execution. I suppose I wouldn't mind so much if I had some magical fills in my favour but that didnt seem to happen. I have only used the system for circa a week on and off and more over the last 2 days (prior to today) but it just wasn't happening for me, this doesn't necessarily means its the same for others.
If you re able to provide me with a suitable IP address/dns name to test packets against (let me know packet size you want set also) I'm happy to share my response times.

Kind regards
Yes a lot of interest in why you can't get a good execution as we have not had report of referral to a dealer for ages. Did this problem with the execution start as soon as you started trading with them or after a few days of trading? I take for granted you are on a wired connection and have tried different browsers.

Yes a lot of interest in why you can't get a good execution as we have not had report of referral to a dealer for ages. Did this problem with the execution start as soon as you started trading with them or after a few days of trading? I take for granted you are on a wired connection and have tried different browsers.

It wasn't a refer to dealer, it was just that the price is not available and so I then have to resubmit an other trade.

It wasn't a refer to dealer, it was just that the price is not available and so I then have to resubmit an other trade.
Well, let me use the term dealer intervention. If there isn't dealer intervention of some sort then there is a latency problem, this as others do not have the same problem with "price no longer valid" messages. You didn't answer my first question in my post?

............as we have not had report of referral to a dealer for ages

Those who are on referral to dealer and there have been many of them .......... well they eventually leave so don't be surprised not to hear their reports any more. That doesn't mean that things have improved as your post would suggest.

Reactions: tar

If this keeps happening on a regular basis you are on dealer referral, there is nowhere else to look. Don't waste your time checking your internet connection. I checked mine many times and it never improved my trade execution where I was put on dealer referral :cheesy:

Those who are on referral to dealer and there have been many of them .......... well they eventually leave so don't be surprised not to hear their reports any more. That doesn't mean that things have improved as your post would suggest.
I don't agree, no reports at all for years (besides midnite101, which we still don't know) suggest there are, at least not a big issue with CS regarding referral to a dealer. You guys read too much of conspiracy theories on the Internet.:)

pipstar

dealer referral is a fact of life ...unfortunately...there really is no such thing as a free lunch. But if a client is getting an immediate rejection response then it is just the computer. I would love my dealers to be that fast but humans must react..pick up..check..respond all of which takes time. I would also love to say that I understood all of minitraders last comment.. but i dont so i will have to refer to my tech guys

Simon