Best Thread Capital Spreads

But are they ever 100% hedged? Their main income probably comes from knowing that most punters will lose, with no help from designer slippage and other dirty tricks (allegedly), whether the spread is zero, ten pips, or whatever.

It ain't that pipstar, it's the interest rate spread.

It's brilliant, cause they only pay interest on the net position (assuming 100% hedged), while they charge all clients on the clients' positions. So say you have 100k shares long 120k shares short they have a position of 20k shares, if on margin, but get the income from 220k in terms of interest fees :D

Although I originally misunderstood what Gle101 was saying regarding interest my point above in my previous post is still valid. It's a lucrative business. The spreadbet company is earning right, left and centre:cheesy:

uummm

sorry for being an idiot but when we hedge with a market maker they also charge us interest (1pc over Libor if u want to know) and ask for rather more margin (real money) than we ask from our clients.

they will charge us the 1pc over Libor interest even if they have another client on the other side as well.

what are we supposed to do? match you all off and then charge a few people who make up the difference (how do we pick the people to charge, not exactly TCF!) ?

If you have a leveraged position you can hardly claim that you should not pay for it just because somebody else has an equal and opposite position.

trying to make an issue out of financing charges is odd

Simon

I don't care what you do, I'm not even a client in any significant sense... I'm just pointing out how lucrative a moneyspinner it can be for you if the book is relatively balanced :)

From Paddypowertrader (Capital Spreads skin) weekly update email:

“The US dollar didn't fair well either on the poor data coming out of the US as its two month rally on both the Euro and the Pound was brought to an abrupt halt. Down on both this week, 3.5% on the Euro to 1.2817, and 2.3% against the pound sterling to 1.5600.”

Dollar has been weakening in the past 2 months, this week the dollar strengthened, not weakened!

Mwhahahah!!!!!

Capital Spreads, apologies if this has been asked before but, are you planning on releasing an iphone app? If so, do you have an ETA?

Thanks

JD

jaydee

iphone is just about ready... in testing and shud be available by the end of sep (hopefully before). Android is looking like 4th qtr

simon

Oi Simon is this you who's being lulzily sued by some bint? I saw it in the Metro as "London and Capital" or something but that sound strange...

Edit: Quick google shows there's some comppany that's actually called "London and Capital" so we can assume it's then. Question turns into: What you gonna do about this ****ty company stealing your name? :LOL:

Simon, we had a discussion on another thread about the size of FX compared to other instruments. How many trade FX in percentage at CS compared to other instruments?

Otherwise, I must say that at the moment CS deliver a good SB service, as far as I am concerned.

jaydee

iphone is just about ready... in testing and shud be available by the end of sep (hopefully before). Android is looking like 4th qtr

simon

Great, thanks.

From what I've read, the majority of people with smart phones are using them to trade more than their PC now. I think this is a good move by yourselves.

gle101

as with all things the percentage of FX spread bets changes in relation to its volatility versus other markets.

with the big moves in the euro/dollar/pound/yen this year there has been a slight uptick in overall FX volumes

in H1 2010 it was just under 38pc of all trades up from 34pc last year. This does not include our institutional FX platform which does about $1.5 bln (!) a day

arabian

no ... not me . But on the subject of names i think London and Capital actually pre date us . Much as i like to believe that we are a very well run and honorable company, I have to accept that being a 'bookie' is not seen, in some eyes, as being entirely respectable. So I am not sure who would be damaging who in this instance.

Simon

Last edited:
gle101

as with all things the percentage of FX spread bets changes in relation to its volatility versus other markets.

with the big moves in the euro/dollar/pound/yen this year there has been a slight uptick in overall FX volumes

in H1 2010 it was just under 38pc of all trades up from 34pc last year. This does not include our institutional FX platform which does about $1.5 bln (!) a day

Simon
Interesting, thanks a lot for the information.

no ... not me . But on the subject of names i think London and Capital actually pre date us . Much as i like to believe that we are a very well run and honorable company, I have to accept that being a 'bookie' is not seen, in some eyes, as being entirely respectable. So I am not sure who would be damaging who in this instance.

Simon

glad to hear it... probably more respecable than yer arcade beginnigs ;)

what a scam ! AUD/USD market has been closed more than 40 minutes , noticed this while playing on the demo , lol .