Best Thread Capital Spreads

When I use to arb between the SB firms, OR when I was getting out of a position, I use to know they recognised my voice ( apprarently I was in IG's top 5 most active financial SB'ers in 1999/2000) so I tried to disguise my voice hoping that they wouldn't read me! ( not sure it ever worked!)

Darren

Thanks for the answer never thought of that (good job you cant see my red face) Just shows you never stop learning I,ll see if I can think of another stupid question.

Many people have their telephone set to "Number Withheld" option or dial 141 first and so there would be no way that anyone would know who is calling them.

Paul

There is software available which does what 2468steve suggests - it recognises the incoming number and automatically brings up the customer's record. It's quite common on CRM (customer relationship management) systems used by callcentres, etc. Not sure though if SB companies use it - yet. But perhaps we've just given them an idea.

Using 141 is the only way out of this.

As an aside, I use telephone banking on one of my accounts. If I just use my ordinary number it gets answered by Indian folk, in India I believe. When I put 141 in front of the number, I get some nice Scottish laddies and lassies.

Answer to all,

In all honesty I can only back up Darren's comments. Never give an instruction to just 'close all my positions' without some indication of what the price will be.

The only time when this instruction might be sensible would be out of market hours, when you might give an instruction to close (or open, of course) a position on the market open.

Our systems are built with internet trading in mind (rather than telephone) so I would suggest that if you are going to trade in a 'professional' manner you should invest in broadband ,if possible, and thus aquire the ability to trade wherever the price is best and also to look at charts at the same time.

As with any product in any field if you limit yourself to one source you can never be sure that you are not being taken advantage of. If you were building a conservatory in your garden you may only get one quote but you certainly would not tell the builder that fact!

In answer to steve's comments concerning telephone recognition. Our systems do recognise all incoming calls and we will link them to the customer records sometime in the future (not in place yet we have more important things to work on) but is part of the original design specification that we wrote when contracting for our software application. To be honest internet trading takes, to date, 99.2% of all trades so our phones do not actually ring that often. You never know we may be so pleased to actually talk to a client that we may give you a better price! (but don't hold your breath).

Simon

Last edited:
Simon
Not having access to broadband I have to trade in the most "professional" way that i can, because i cant have a live feed chart on my screen at the same time as your site I choose to have a live chart and telephone trade, unless of course there is some techie out there who could suggest a solution to this problem. Merry Christmas to all.

Spreadbetterstop - Get Broadband if you can! best trading investment you can make in terms of technology!

Anyone using IG realised how bad their slippage has got recently . Used to be 0 now getting several points on a FTSE 250 company and without news ....CS - how are you guys like with this ?

If it gets worse its probably worth me using guarenteed stop losses!

jk

the only slippage we have had on any stop so far was in the wall street when it open 150 points up on the previous day following Saddams capture.

We have not had that much trading in the 250 yet so it is difficult to give you a definative answer. I do know that volumes are not very high at the moment which might explain your slippage but as I have stated many times I cannot comment on other SB companies. (sorry)

Simon

jklondon

i would like broadband but it doesnt look promising in my area in the forseeable future. I dont really like phone trading but if i want a live chart on screen its the only option ive got

last November I started using Capital Spreads because of the service they were offering and the spreads you were advertising were alot tighter than IG.

I have not had to use the telephone to place bets as the internet site is so easy to use, I really like the fact that the price you see on screen is the price you actually get (well 99% of the time).

However, Recently I have noticed that the spreads have been getting wider and wider.

A typical example of this today was,

Derwent Valley-IG Index spread was 6 Capital Spreads was 12
DVSG- IG spread 6 Cap 10
Northern rock IG 0.5 Cap 6
Fleming Merc- IG spread 6.5 Cap 14
Gallaher IG spread 1 Cap 4

I have not gone seaching through the sites looking for the differences, I actually wanted to place bets on the top 3 but was put off by the 14-15 point difference when comparing it to IG.

has anyone else noticed or
Am I missing something?

Mr Squad

Last edited:
Mr Squad

having checked our prices against IG in the markets you mention I am at a loss to know where the prices you quote are coming from.

I fear you may have been looking at the IG spreads for 14th Jan i.e today.

The prices for the stocks that you mention in the march expiry were

Derwent Valley IG spread 8.4 CS 6.0
DVSG IG 3.2 CS 4.2
Northern Rock IG 6.8 CS 4.5
Fleming Merc IG 9.8 CS 9.3
Gallaher IG 5.4 CS 4.8

we beat IG on all but the davis group quote

Simon

at least there is no massive slippage like the big SB companies.............even tho i was sceptical initially i am gradually warming to Capital Spreads cos of their reliability.........i'm even thinking of making my CS account bigger (at the expense of the ones with the bigger SB companies) than it is now.

Simon,

Since my post I have been talking to one of your colleages, he too thought I may have been looking at the wrong expiry date.
After running through the quotes (listed above) with him we found that they were right.

He informed that he would look into it, and now like you have said they are back in line with IG (sorry BETTER than IG.)

I used IG for about 12 months and have been using Capital Spreads since you convinced me to try your company last November, in that time I have

a/Set up a simulated account and was actually trading in minutes.
b/ Set up a real deposit account within 30 minutes.

You have
c/supplied me with a very easy to use web site.

you
d/ Supply me with prices as shown on screen, almost everytime.

and
e/ I do not get penalised with a larger spread for having a deposit account.

The spreads I gave above were correct when posted, just goes to show you listen to your custimers as well!!

A satisfied

Mr Squad

I will have to keep a closer eye on the quotes in the ftse 250 stocks. We may have a glitch in the system that comes and goes.

Today has not been a great day for system stability. Our developers are looking into it.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

I have been trying your trading platform over the last week and overall I am am happy with it. If I could make a few changes they would be...

1) when the automatic orders are opened on a new position it would be useful to prompt the client for the the stops/limits OR allow the user to accept the default values generated by the system.

2)narrow the mimimum distance from the price on limit sells/buy orders. An example is S&P, which I think is a minimum of 2 points, currencies 20 points?

I cant tell you what values are used on Fins, S&P can be very close to the price but not sure on currencies. Maybe swings and roundabouts here, as your spreads are better than Fins.

Nice platform, excellent handling of support issues and only a few glitches that I know of so far.

Kevin.

Simon - one other thing. Any plans to extend your currency range? AUD/USD, USD/CAD & NZD/USD would be nice :cheesy:

Kevin.

Simon

Nice to see a representative of an SB co posting on here.

Particularly as you seem to have some satisfied clients as evidenced by this thread and you appear to actually have good customer service.

will have a look at your website.

Can you tell me if you allow "if done" orders. This is the main feature I am looking for in a sb account.

Also, do you have spot fx? what are the spreads for the majors and euro crosses?

Simon,

Just been looking at your site and see you do daily fx.

Have registered for demo account. Can you clarify something about fx spreads. They seem to fluctuate. Earlir in the thread, it was stated as 5. When I first logged in, they were all 5, but now seem to be fluctuating. ie eur/gbp 3/4. eur/usd 4/5.

Whats going on. Have you reduced the spread or do you have a fluctuating spread.

PS. This also seems to have coincided with df4 spreads appearing to have reduced. Eur/usd 3, gbp/usd 4. usd/jpy 3! wow!

Also, if I use daily fx, Is there anyway I can set up to automatically roll all apen positions. ie as per df4? (As you may have guessed, I use d4f). I use spot charts to trade from and like to use the equivalent priced product for direct comparison.

Cheers