Big Ben on the FTSE100

I don't want to sound cocky, but my main concern now is what the SB company will do if I continue taking regular money from them.

Hi Tomorton,

thanks for the reply.

what would you consider a too big range?

Hi RT - 80% of the Average True Range (i.e. 14-day average of the daily high-low ranges). Has occurred twice in the last 20 sessions - charts are wiped now but I think one would have hit target and one would have expired slightly negative.

:clap: well the numbers look good to me and with any system it is possible to make it your own. If the numbers hold true in the longer term and good money management is applied, then who knows. Anyway I am sticking with it for forseeable future it is similar to system I have used for awhile with good results but this is better:cheesy: I will try not to ruin it by picking stops out of thin air etc but I think we (me) need to experiment to find something we are comfortable with.

My view is a lot of system will work but it is only when it has truly become your own that you (me) will be happy with it.

I am still learning but every week things slowly start slotting into place and my account has grown nicely with few drawdowns so all can not be too bad (as been increasingly more disciplined over last 6 mths)

Out around 16:20 for +7. We live to fight another day.

Tomorrow could be a slight deviation from standard method for me. My boss has very inconsiderately called a meeting from 9 to 11. I am thinking I may have to get orders in using the 08:00 to 09:00 range (should we call it Little Ben?) but probably cut the position size to balance the lack of clear data.

tomo

don't go mad :) just forego the trade unless you can manufacture an urgent call of nature around 10:01am

jon

I'm cutting my size by half if BB range hasn't been triggered by 12, according to 12.00-14.00 time range only having 2 hits (1 win, 1 expired) and may revisit before retail sales at 13.30

the data volatility didn't get us through the sell stop so i'm excited now that if we do get below it it could be a more 'real' signal. stop in at 5550 and waiting with patience.

Take your pick -
strong US retail figures
worrying UK inflation rates
weak European industrial production data
optimism re yesterday's positive data from China
good news yesterday from banks from Basel
record high price of gold

Some or all (or none) of these were factors today, but at 10am this morning, it was impossible to say they would interact so as to drive prices so far down then so far up. Could easily have been a different result, another win for a Big Ben trade.

Should've stayed in that meeting, Tomo :) Now the boss is looking down his nose at you too :(

jon

Yes. I did my utmost to end the meeting quickly and repeatedly volunteered when something new was raised, 'Should I draft something and send it round?'. Came out with an arm's length of stuff to do at 20 past 10. Got my orders on straight away and then bang!
Sometimes you have to wonder why you bother.

i reckon today the sell was 5555.8 taken off my ig chart. currently short and in profit. let's hope we can get the follow through we lost out on yesterday

Short. Nearly made target, the went halfway from entry towards stop, now dithering about like a politician at the door of an adult cinema. Looks like it might go all the way to the US close.

i'll close with the expiration at 4.30.

triple witching on fri so god only knows what strange path we'll tread till then.

still the level gave us a shot and a good chance to manage out at a profit if we'd wanted. they are proving to be levels worth noting.