Best Books on TA

mothman

There is a lot of TA discussion on this board - most of it over my head!. What are the best books on this subject to give someone a solid grounding.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mothman
The best book as an introduction & general guide to TA in my opinion is ....

Author: John J. Murphy
Title: 'Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets'

appx £20 on amazon & worth every penny - referred to by many in the industry as 'the bible' of charting - if you could only buy one book, then this is the one ....... !!!!! :cheesy:
also if you get interested in candlestick charts Steve Nison 'Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques' is very good too but I would read the John J Murphy one first ....
both books are recommended by the New York Institute of Finance
Good luck !
:D

mothman said:
There is a lot of TA discussion on this board - most of it over my head!. What are the best books on this subject to give someone a solid grounding.

Thanks in advance.
McGee's Technical Analysis of Stock Trends is about 700 pages long but well worth the time spent reading and digesting the charts.
I have read many books on TA and this is the absolute.

twiggytwo said:
McGee's Technical Analysis of Stock Trends is about 700 pages long but well worth the time spent reading and digesting the charts.
I have read many books on TA and this is the absolute.

You might also be interested in Schabacker's book, which is the source of Edwards and Magee's book (above). Schabacker is often out of print, but is currently available, and the price is very reasonable.

There is no BEST book on trading............. much depends on how and what you intend to trade. However in general I concur with Bartham, "Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets" is a most useful "Bible" for someone wanting to understand Charting and Indicators. Another book is "The Way to Trade" by John Piper, which deals with the psychology of trading - in other words "Know Thy Self" before you attempt to trade.

John

very interesting to see others thoughts on books they have found useful - definitely a couple mentioned I would like to read so I'm off to check out the 'Price of Books' thread on the general board (thought I'd mention this just incase others were thinking the same thing & hadn't noticed this thread was going on :D ) as there are a number of post containing internet sites which offer these type of books at very good prices compared to the shops :cheesy:

Thanks for all the suggestions - have bought the Murphy book as well as a few others.

Thanks again;
Moth

mothman said:

Thanks in advance.
On T.A. try "computer analysis of the future markets" by C. LEBEAU &D.LUCAS.This is probably the best.

‘Elliott Wave Principle : Key to Market Behavior' by Frost and Prechter is a theory of Price Movement. Quite subjective and for the more 'visually oriented' chart reader, it is something that is immediately understandable or best dropped.

Tdr,

I would object strongly that the prechter book should be avoided but this is based on my attempts to trade it. I am curious to know whether you have a history of consistently trading their ideas or if (like me when I first read it) this book simply appeals to your sense of market order. 6-12 months of successful trading based on the book would be enough.

Kwi

How they work

47.gif
New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems by J. Welles Wilder

Original work on how indicators predict tops and bottoms.

Uncle said:
There is no BEST book on trading............. much depends on how and what you intend to trade.

Kiwi, EW isn't a trading system, it's a theory of Price Movement.

A pdf that provides a method of EW based trading is available in post # 436 at: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11590&page=44&pp=10

EW is a 'use it or lose it' theory that relies upon being 'visually oriented'. As Connie Brown comments in her 'Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional', some people simply won't get it.

Thats interesting trdr. And thanks for the link.

Do you use it effectively for you trading? Has it passed the six month test I mentioned in my last post?

In answer to the threads originator though I should probably mention that I liked "the way to trade". I also recommend Chick Goslin's Trading Day by Day, John Hill's The Ultimate Trading Guide for a great overview of a lot of potentially effective strategies, and Mark Douglas's "The Disciplined Trader."

barthtam said:
Hi Mothman
Author: John J. Murphy
Title: 'Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets'

appx £20 on amazon & worth every penny...

I only see it used and that for a steep £51.
:cry:

If its good enough for John Murphy its good enough for me, this guy speaks with a clarity and logic that is unsurpassed by any other investment author.

the book is on amazon cheap roughly £20 ....

the £50 version you are refering too is the hardback edition .... i suggest you look again

hope that helps