New Trader: What is the point of TA

If I had a hammer I'd ........

agedevil said:
Hi,
I have read several trading books (most are based on fundamental analysis) and none of them mentioned the purpose of TA. I am new to trading; not even in college, but i have read many books on trading. From my perspective, stocks should be chosen based on fundamental analysis and only the part of entering and exiting a trade should be based on TA. Nevertheless, I want this question to be answered because it has confused me for a while now:

What is the purpose of studying TA and does it really work? :confused:

I tried programs such as metastock and seen several charts, trends, MAs, etc. BUT i was not able to make anything out of them. I can only assume! However, in the market is assuming really worth it. I believe it is a risk. However, I am really interested in TA and want to learn about it. Basically, I find it hard to believe that TA can help you make money in stocks (ironically, I know it can).

Basically, i want to know the purpose of TA in the stock market.

Thanks
TA is a tool.

A hammer is a tool.

You can give a toddler a plastic hammer and they will have hours of fun with it, hitting anything that comes into range, but he will not build a house and he will eventually get bored with it.

When the toddler matures and has had more experience with the hammer he might be able to build a house - if he is naturally skilled or is prepared to put enough work into learning how to use it properly.

Others who are not naturally skilled or don't really want to give it that much time will successfully knock in a few nails, perhaps putting up the odd shelf or two, but they will not build a house.

Some just hit their thumb

Charlton