Assemble a Desktop for Trading

not sure how much you want to spend...

I'm not techie, got some advice with matrox, ram, graphics cards etc but the bottom line was that I didn't know what i was really doing, nor why i was buying something, so just took the plunge.

4 screen set up:

Dell Precision T3400| XP professional |core2 QUAD CORE Q9300 2.5GHz/1333/6Mb cache | 4Gb 667 RAM 2x2 | 250Gb 7200 disk | DVDRW |TWO 256Mb NVS 290 graphics cards | X-Stock 1 year Collect and return warranty
£579.00+VAT (free shipping) - this PC builds on Dell now for £829.00+VAT and shipping.

Bought three 22in widescreen monitors to add to my existing one-cost £350 w/delivery and VAT.

Then this stand to hold them
Ergotron 33-324-200 - Ergotron Quad Monitor Stand (2x2) Black

Works like a dream:)

I think it depends on what you want to spend/how involved you want to be in it. I know other people get local PC shops to build special systems for them-maybe use this spec for the base unit that I' ve given above to a shop and see what they can come up with.
Hope this helps.

Thats a gd setup just on the costly side tho.

Would it not be better to by a projector, or a 50inche TV? do you use all screens?

I'm not techie, got some advice with matrox, ram, graphics cards etc but the bottom line was that I didn't know what i was really doing, nor why i was buying something, so just took the plunge.

4 screen set up:

Dell Precision T3400| XP professional |core2 QUAD CORE Q9300 2.5GHz/1333/6Mb cache | 4Gb 667 RAM 2x2 | 250Gb 7200 disk | DVDRW |TWO 256Mb NVS 290 graphics cards | X-Stock 1 year Collect and return warranty
£579.00+VAT (free shipping) - this PC builds on Dell now for £829.00+VAT and shipping.

Bought three 22in widescreen monitors to add to my existing one-cost £350 w/delivery and VAT.

Then this stand to hold them
Ergotron 33-324-200 - Ergotron Quad Monitor Stand (2x2) Black

Works like a dream:)

I think it depends on what you want to spend/how involved you want to be in it. I know other people get local PC shops to build special systems for them-maybe use this spec for the base unit that I' ve given above to a shop and see what they can come up with.
Hope this helps.

I know sweet FA about computers so could someone tell me what the graphics card does and why do I need it to add extra screens? Can not just use a splitter cable?

Thanks

I know sweet FA about computers so could someone tell me what the graphics card does and why do I need it to add extra screens? Can not just use a splitter cable?

Thanks

A graphic card puts the data on a monitor , ie charts, trading platfom info etc, so you get a visual , it can only do so much work, depending on your needs, everyone is different, I use one for charts etc, and a laptop for my trading platform, but I can get away with using just my desktop pc if I need to,or even add on another monitor to my pc, and not use the laptop,as my desktop pc has a graphic card that has 2 inputs so I can run 2 monitors, it really depends on your requirements, a day trader is more demanding that a guy who trades a couple of times a month, hence he needs a different setup,but there are people who use just one pc and it works perfectly well for them, and others who need 2-3-4 monitors.....