Need advice for buying new trading desktop PC

I run a Dell PCU connected to four Dell 24-inch screens (via one custom video card). Dell has always worked well for me...always had some trouble from other companies like Sony, Toshiba, etc...so Dell is the way to go.

OTOH, the Dell I received in December has exceeded my expectations. And I've been buying computers since the Apple II (still in the basement).

I don't know what happened to mine :confused:
I do have one of the very first MAC computers, an extremely original MAC that was issued to Drexel University students in Feb 1984 prior to public availability! Complete with the Drexel logo molded into the casing along with the precursor to Microsoft Excel...Microsoft Multiplan!

Peter

Howards_Workstation.jpg

I'd stay away from dell -- I've heard some bad things about them. Here's one example.

For everyone 1 unhappy customer I'll bet there are 500 happy ones we just don't hear about them.

I know my PCs and for the price they cannot be beat, I lien them to Ford tractors, solid and will last.

But there's a big caveat with dell and it's their pricing. It's very easy using their website to buy a crap PC (spec wise) for £550 and a great one for £525, they're the masters at playing games.

If anyone wants buying advice then message me, I'll tell you exactly what to get for your needs and tell you why. Nothing upsets me more than seeing people buy the wrong computer, basically one that is already out of date and won't be able to handle the next 2-5 years.

I'd stay away from dell -- I've heard some bad things about them. Here's one example.

Some years ago I remember people having problems with Dells due to non-standard connectors inside etc. Also, on one particular model I think it was possible to induce electrical damage if you connected & powered up the internals in what was regarded by the rest of the world as a standard way - can't remember the details now. Presumably Dells no longer have such problems.....! On the other hand I've seen Dells that were built internally as strong and solidly as a brick-built $hithou$e.

One of the problems with branded PCs is that although they will meet whatever spec you agree, that doesn't necessarily mean they all have identical parts - there are good production reasons for this [one firm I worked for needed 13,000 identical PCs reasonably quickly - you couldn't do that easily then: perhaps it's different now].

I favour (1) self-build - you know what's in it and there will be no problem with repairs because it will be entirely standard modular with no proprietary odd-shaped parts or fixings - though self-build not for everybody. (2) Get a local builder to do it for you - if he's any good he will find out how you intend to use it and spec (and importantly not over or under) it up for you. He will probably also use a decent size case to allow for future expansion - some branded (only some) never allow for this and it's sometimes cheaper to throw away rather than upgrade.

I've always used what's considered to be best quality components and I've never had a failure problem (famous last words) - the only time I did, was years ago using a cheap non-Intel/AMD processor which plagued me for ages with an intemittent fault.

Though I like to roll my own, my alternative would always be to use a decent local guy where I can dump it on the counter and get it fixed (with a loan replacement) or better still he'll come to me (with a loan replacement). IT kit is essential for trading and reliability and availability of repair service is very important. No kit = no trades!

I wouldn't touch the retail park stores for advice on what to buy either!

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a new desktop pc but not sure what spec to look for , The platform will essentially only run eSignal charting platform with 4x 24inch screens.

What processor (for futures time and sales data), how much RAM, what motherboard, graphics card, CPU Cooler, PSU? Optical drive advisable? Guess not for my purposes.

Some guidelines much appreciated and perhaps tips where to buy (in UK). Budget is not unlimited ;-)
Thanks

Take a look on ebay, you can some decent ones that the company build for you. At least half the price of DELL. They are usually AMD ones with 4gb ram, loads of storage, 3+Ghz
around £280

For everyone 1 unhappy customer I'll bet there are 500 happy ones we just don't hear about them.

I know my PCs and for the price they cannot be beat, I lien them to Ford tractors, solid and will last.

But there's a big caveat with dell and it's their pricing. It's very easy using their website to buy a crap PC (spec wise) for £550 and a great one for £525, they're the masters at playing games.

If anyone wants buying advice then message me, I'll tell you exactly what to get for your needs and tell you why. Nothing upsets me more than seeing people buy the wrong computer, basically one that is already out of date and won't be able to handle the next 2-5 years.

Sorry to jump onto an old thread but I'm interested in this advise. Pretty much I've decided on Dell but am looking for exactly what you suggest --- avoid buying a PC that's already outdated. Don't mind spending a little more for a PC strictly for day trading that will last a few years.

Sorry to jump onto an old thread but I'm interested in this advise. Pretty much I've decided on Dell but am looking for exactly what you suggest --- avoid buying a PC that's already outdated. Don't mind spending a little more for a PC strictly for day trading that will last a few years.

I hope it is not too late, but you might want to check out EZ Trading Computers http://tradingcomputersnow.com/ I almost bought a Dell myself until I heard that was not the best choice. I am extremely happy with my computer now and I am also a Day Trader. I spoke to this guy Eddie and he is a trader himself which made the process so much easier. Again, I hope it is not too late!!! You can always return that Dell!!!