Assemble a Desktop for Trading

frumnat

Hello guys,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered in this forum.

My current desktop is old and obsolete now. I am thinking of assembling a desktop mainly for FX trading purpose. As I'm not very tech-savvy, could anyone enlighten me on the key components I should use for the desktop? I thought I want to assemble one rather than buy from Dell, HP, etc so that I can customize to my liking.

I’m sure the RAM is important. Other than RAM, what else is really important to allow the new desktop to be able to run fast and also last for a fairly long time?

Thank you. :D

The most important thing is knowing your limitatons!

Ask someone to build the machine for you or simply get a dell I am sure it will meet all your requirements for the next 3/4 years.

The most important thing is knowing your limitatons!

Ask someone to build the machine for you or simply get a dell I am sure it will meet all your requirements for the next 3/4 years.

Thanks Gamma.

Would you mind expounding on "knowing your limitations"?

I could go to a shop and ask them to build me the ultimate machine. However, they may not know what is really the best for trading (I guess they're not traders themselves). Also, I do not wish to overspend on things that I don't need.

The best way to go is to ask fellow traders ya? :clap:

Just ask yourself:

How many applications will you be running at one time.
How many screens you need.
Will you be using it for other purposes (games etc).
Is sound quality an issue.
How much memory will you need for all your applications / programs / music / videos.

Hello guys,

My current desktop is old and obsolete now. I am thinking of assembling a desktop mainly for FX trading purpose. As I'm not very tech-savvy, could anyone enlighten me on the key components I should use for the desktop? I thought I want to assemble one rather than buy from Dell, HP, etc so that I can customize to my liking.

I’m sure the RAM is important. Other than RAM, what else is really important to allow the new desktop to be able to run fast and also last for a fairly long time?

Best way to go would be with dell as you will not have to worry about any support - tech issues after you put you machine together. You dont want to get in trouble with the Motherboard and end up changing all parts before realizing its the MB. Dell has Next business day warrantys.
I would recommend buying 2 or more screens preferably you will research online to find a cheap price. 19" and higher is the way to go. Depending on the nuber of screens you need chose the PC. newer cards use PCI express slots on the mother board. most PC's in the market have 1 only. Dells xps 630 and higher models have 2. You can always install a PCI video card to add monitors. make sure cards are from same anufac (Nvidia or ATI) and have compatible drivers.
Ram - 4gb should be good. you dont need whole lot of HDD space unless you want to store music or pics and stufff. I recomment not instally many apps. like itunes and games on this PC just slows it down a bit.
Processor. buy one with Quad basic processor as they are cheap and come std on most new PCs.
I think this should give you alot to think about.
If you are really techie and can trouble shoot PCs run to a store and buy parts and thats the only time i would recommend to built your own. save the money on these websites that sell PCs for trading and just buy a good warranty from dell.

happy hunting.
Joker(y)

:smart:
Hello guys,

Still if you want to assembel one - let me know your budget for PC + monitors . I can give you some reference what to get !!

O and Yes very Imp. thing - Internet connection is the most Imp. factor other than you PC. an average PC will be brilliant with a fast connection. Try to get some in access of 5-6 mbps in internet speeds.

Joker

yep, I recommend Dell too, I have got two of em on my home setup & all Dell monitors. You can customize the construction configuration to your specific requirements using the online build tool. And the build quality is very high - my Precision has CPU heat pipe + exhaust, slide out PSU, a lot of the important components have tool-less access if you want to upgrade or add drives, etc. Due to their econonies of scale, they have extremely competitive prices.

If your local PC shop can do something cheaper than Dell, you really have to question the component quality

Check here, choose and then select configure to build out your dream machine:
Dell Precision Workstation Computers

If your local PC shop can do something cheaper than Dell, you really have to question the component quality

True for lower and mid range machines - you might be able to save a few quid doing it yourself but if you don't know what you are doing then it's just not worth it.

At least here in Aus, if you are looking at high end machines (eg Intel i7) doing it yourself is substantially cheaper. I've been looking at the price of i7 Dell recently and was shocked - I can put together what I want for half the price (and in a tool free box).

If you work for a company which imports dells, ask the techy, I get a 30%+ discount :).

Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to write a sticky note - a "how to" - in which it describes the best method of setting up multiple screens etc.

hi mate if your still building ur own pc you need the following

Ram (the more the better) go 4 at least 2gb
Hard drive
Motherboard
CPU
Fan
CD and floppy drive if required

gd deal for motherboard bundles are on ebay.

audio and graphis cards could also be used but not nessaery for what you doing.

hi mate if your still building ur own pc you need the following

Ram (the more the better) go 4 at least 2gb
Hard drive
Motherboard
CPU
Fan
CD and floppy drive if required

gd deal for motherboard bundles are on ebay.

audio and graphis cards could also be used but not nessaery for what you doing.

Hey mate,

I'm still thinking of building my own machine! :D

I gather from the various responses, it seems like the RAM and processor are the key components to building a relatively decent desktop, ya?

I know it's an investment. Thus I want to customize a good one to last for at least 2-3 years.

Cheers!

Personally would stay away from Dell, I use these guys . . .: : : CyberPower PC UK : : :

I have just bought a PC from these guys and completely endorse DB's recommendation. You can either build a PC yourself from the infinitely variable options on the website or just call them and they'll talk you through it. I spec'd it myself on the website, and got a friendly call five mins after placing the order to say - look, component X doesn't go brilliantly with component Y, so we'd recommend Z instead - very helpful.

Having said that, our traders at work are running off Dell hardware, not sure what models although presumably fairly high-spec.

yep ram and the processor are the main components,

Try to get at least 4GB of ram DDR3
And with the processor go an Intel quad core, expensive but well worth the money. You can get some processors that have a extend manufactures warranty for around 3 years.

Hey mate,

I'm still thinking of building my own machine! :D

I gather from the various responses, it seems like the RAM and processor are the key components to building a relatively decent desktop, ya?

I know it's an investment. Thus I want to customize a good one to last for at least 2-3 years.

Cheers!