ART - not just pretty pics

I loved the clip in Crocodile Dundee (which I can't find a link to sorry) where...

Art Expert admiring spotty disaster in the Tate exclaims " Jackson Pollock ".
Paul Hogan happens to be standing next to him for a moment replies " Nah it's not that bad mate"

'twas indeed Paul Hogan but on that occasion he was acting as Australia's Cultural Ambassador:

'twas indeed Paul Hogan but on that occasion he was acting as Australia's Cultural Ambassador:

Lol well found, but that's an advert spin-off of the original, which I don't have to hand and so cant prove. Fiddling details which wouldn't stop a Trump.

Lol well found, but that's an advert spin-off of the original, which I don't have to hand and so cant prove. Fiddling details which wouldn't stop a Trump.

You might well be right but I have absolutely no recollection of that at all. Mind you, even yesterday's a little hazy.

I shall watch the film/s again. The things I do in the name of art....:rolleyes:

PS: Just discovered that there are 3!! Was only dimly aware that there were two. I'm going out now and I may be some time......

Last edited by a moderator:
Re Crocodile Dundee and Pollocks:

You might well be right but I have absolutely no recollection of that at all.

Have just watched One and Two so the scene (call me Sherlock) must be in Three....
Need a short respite as I'm suffering from croc fatigue.

lol I'm beginning to worry you might be right! Hope you are not losing good trading time. Obviously you should send me the bill for lost profits/ opportunity costs. (c/o HMP Birmingham)

Granted, the Croc' Dundee / Foster ad' is very funny but, at the risk of sounding really, really nerdy, I don't think Paul Hogan was being true to character. Behind the tough, macho, croc' fighting exterior, lies a sensitive man who is in touch with the environment and very understanding and appreciative of Aboriginal culture. As such, (although this isn't shown in the movies), he would almost certainly be familiar with their artwork, much of which is abstract in nature. (As an aside, for anyone who finds it difficult to enjoy and appreciate abstract art, do look at good examples of Aboriginal art, some of which are staggeringly beautiful.) The irony here is that, although I don't know this for certain, I'd happy wager that Jackson Pollock was very familiar with - and influenced by - Aboriginal art. It's as obvious to me as, say, Oasis fans detecting the influence of the Beatles in their songs.
Tim.

Last edited:
lol I'm beginning to worry you might be right! Hope you are not losing good trading time. Obviously you should send me the bill for lost profits/ opportunity costs. (c/o HMP Birmingham)

Well, I've now watched CD3 and am now definitely crocked out.....no sign of a Jackson Pollock oeuvre anywhere. As for your offer of compensation: that's another matter entirely - my "lost profits/opportunity costs" are astronomical on a normal day so all gifts will be gratefully received. Let me know when you've finished working your magic in that Brummie slammer and we'll talk again:p

Granted, the Croc' Dundee / Foster ad' is very funny but, at the risk of sounding really, really nerdy, I don't think Paul Hogan was being true to character. Behind the tough, macho, croc' fighting exterior, lies a sensitive man who is in touch with the environment and very understanding and appreciative of Aboriginal culture. As such, (although this isn't shown in the movies), he would almost certainly be familiar with their artwork, much of which is abstract in nature. (As an aside, for anyone who finds it difficult to enjoy and appreciate abstract art, do look at good examples of Aboriginal art, some of which are staggeringly beautiful.) The irony here is that, although I don't know this for certain, I'd happy wager that Jackson Pollock was very familiar with - and influenced by - Aboriginal art. It's as obvious to me as, say, Oasis fans detecting the influence of the Beatles in their songs.
Tim.

Rest assured Timsk, it doesn't sound in the slightest bit nerdy! ....quite deranged and possibly symptomatic of a serious personality disorder but nerdy, never.....:D

Jimmy Page's stuff

Enough of all the Brexit nonsense! Very interesting interview on BBC Today programme this morning with Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page – all about his Burne-Jones pre-raphaelite tapestries now on view at Tate Britain.

He talks about his time as an art student and being unable to afford a couple of hundred quid for something that is now extremely valuable!

View attachment Led Zep Jimmy Page.mp3

Burne-Jones The Golden Stairs.JPG
holy grail.JPG

Hi Pat,
I found this on YouTube and thought of you - I think you'll like it. I actually agree with many of the points made; certainly there's a lot of bad modern art but, as I make clear in the comments section - it's not all bad. Anyway, enjoy . . .

Hi Pat,
I found this on YouTube and thought of you - I think you'll like it. I actually agree with many of the points made; certainly there's a lot of bad modern art but, as I make clear in the comments section - it's not all bad. Anyway, enjoy . . .

Thanks Tim for such an educational and informed video. The lad seems to have rumbled the BS of modern art.

I found this video about AI " art " interesting.
The phrase " monkeys could have done better " though does spring to mind.

Hi Pat,

I sympathise with his socio-political analysis, and a lot of his argument as to why modern art is as it is and why it is revered. But I don't think he understands much about the point of art in the wider sense - he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

Good art in my book is that which is pleasing to the senses or clever.
Much of old art doesn't fit this analysis either.
I look at the stolid and boring old masters' art and see nothing aesthetically pleasing. They may have values on them of multi millions but not for me.

I sympathise with his socio-political analysis, and a lot of his argument as to why modern art is as it is and why it is revered. But I don't think he understands much about the point of art in the wider sense - he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.
Yeah, spot on Tom. Fair play to Paul Joseph Watson though - he's done a great job of picking some really bad examples of modern art and providing a sound rationale as to why they're bad - albeit one that's infused with a (right wing) political agenda.
Tim.

he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

Good art in my book is that which is pleasing to the senses or clever.
Much of old art doesn't fit this analysis either.
I look at the stolid and boring old masters' art and see nothing aesthetically pleasing. They may have values on them of multi millions but not for me.
Hi Pat,
I've absolutely no beef with your choice of art - you like what you like and loathe what you loathe. That's fine. However, a purely subjective opinion is no way to assess whether or not art is any good (or not) or, even, if it warrants the label of art. After all, what you find pleasing to the senses or clever - I might think is puke making and stupid - and vice versa of course.
Tim.

Each to their own obviously but I can't help thinking that the huge prices for modern art is just a fad bubble.
One day it will burst and their prices will tumble.