ART - not just pretty pics

Here's a nice seasonal picture! (regret colours not reproduced absolutely right - but you get the idea)

Nocturnal Tree.JPG

There's a Pierre Bonnard exhibition at Tate Modern from Jan 23rd. Some of his work was superb, with his use of colour opening up new insights and sensations. Worth a visit for the open minded and curious.

Well, we've all had enough of looking at Westminster TV's ya-boo chamber! Here's a much nicer view from a distance with the added benefit of a moat to keep those pesky MPs well away.

1552671161454.png

"Decisions" by Max Angus

Each to their own obviously but I can't help thinking that the huge prices for modern art is just a fad bubble.
One day it will burst and their prices will tumble.
Well they are no where near tumbling just yet. Billionaires have to stack their wedges somewhere I guess.
But UK Gov seems to pretend it knows best.

Art is like comedy - when desperate for something original try " toilet " art.

The Golden Age of art to my preferences is impressionist and a little later.
I grew up in an arty family. My mum exhibited her work at the best galleries of GB, France and Italy and studied at The Slade.

Art is like comedy - when desperate for something original try " toilet " art.

The Golden Age of art to my preferences is impressionist and a little later.
I grew up in an arty family. My mum exhibited her work at the best galleries of GB, France and Italy and studied at The Slade.
What do you think about the Dutch school of painting? Honestly when thinking about it subjectively it wouldn't be my first choice, but when visiting a gallery I can spend a lot of time looking at Dutch landscapes, there is just something about them.

Sign of our times...

Notice the spectators gallery. Joe public chimps too... :) :love: :)

That got sold for close on 10Million, didnt it?
Anyway, to be accurate, BoJo would need to be represented as a bonobo?
And Corbyn as a ringtail lemur.

Anyway, what does the art you are drawn to say about you? ( in terms of style and subject)
One of my all time favourites is Van Gogh.
VanGogh_StarryNIght.jpg

That got sold for close on 10Million, didnt it?
Anyway, to be accurate, BoJo would need to be represented as a bonobo?
And Corbyn as a ringtail lemur.

Anyway, what does the art you are drawn to say about you? ( in terms of style and subject)
One of my all time favourites is Van Gogh.
View attachment 267955

Those swirls tell me Van Gogh and you; were/are moody, dark and passionate characters. (y)

Those swirls tell me Van Gogh and you; were/are moody, dark and passionate characters. (y)
At'- how come you're not this diplomatic on the the Brexit thread?
trendie - what At' is trying to say is you're completely loco!
:LOL:

I think Trendie is deep. Very deep. Deep deep thinker. Not loco at all. As they say still waters run deep.

You on the other hand dear Timsk... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: 🤪

(y) :)(y)

I'll let you know if I ever cut my ear off. :)

I think the art we are attracted to is a kind of Rorschach.
We connect with our intuitive right-mind, bypassing the logical left-brain.
I wonder how many go for realistic renderings, and who go for non-realistic images.
And whether we go for portraits, landscapes, dream-like, abstract, etc.

Another of my faves. Kandinsky.

kandinsky.jpg

Last edited:
Art is a great relaxer. After finding which style interests you most why not try and emulate it. OK it may look a bit crude at first but the naivety often has its own charms. Below is a simple step by step approach. Imagine how great it would be to be complimented by others for your efforts.

. . . Imagine how great it would be to be complimented by others for your efforts.
Pat,
This is paint by numbers. Get an adult colouring book instead - it has more integrity to it as the 'artist' isn't trying to fool anybody that they've got any skill or talent. The only compliments you're going to get for producing paintings like this are from people who have little or no understanding of art and no taste.

We all know that hitting the buy and sell button doesn't make one a trader; there are no short cuts. The same is true in art; it takes a lot of time and effort to achieve anything that's even half way competent. If you want to paint figuratively you first have to learn to draw. To learn to draw you have to learn how to observe. And if you want to do that you'll need to find a really good teacher - which is as hard as finding a really good trader willing to teach you how to trade. A starting point might be your local life drawing class. Having said all that, if paint by numbers gives you pleasure and you find it relaxing - that's great, all power to you - go for it!
Tim.

Art is a great relaxer. After finding which style interests you most why not try and emulate it. OK it may look a bit crude at first but the naivety often has its own charms. Below is a simple step by step approach. Imagine how great it would be to be complimented by others for your efforts.

Well said, my mother used art (and needlecraft) for relaxation, she maintained it despite her lifelong condition of rheumatiod arthiritis until her condition made it impossible, she went to classes and became quite accomplished, she has produced works that would be the envy of many a local artist. Maybe I'll get some images for this thread :)

Pat,
This is paint by numbers. Get an adult colouring book instead - it has more integrity to it as the 'artist' isn't trying to fool anybody that they've got any skill or talent. The only compliments you're going to get for producing paintings like this are from people who have little or no understanding of art and no taste.

We all know that hitting the buy and sell button doesn't make one a trader; there are no short cuts. The same is true in art; it takes a lot of time and effort to achieve anything that's even half way competent. If you want to paint figuratively you first have to learn to draw. To learn to draw you have to learn how to observe. And if you want to do that you'll need to find a really good teacher - which is as hard as finding a really good trader willing to teach you how to trade. A starting point might be your local life drawing class. Having said all that, if paint by numbers gives you pleasure and you find it relaxing - that's great, all power to you - go for it!
Tim.
Are you setting yourself up as the great art critic Tim ?
The quality of art imho is in the eye/brain of the beholder. One should avoid slavishly parroting the critics who are mainly stuck in the past with their own opinions. Most critics go further and try to foist their own opinions onto others.