Are you addicted to trading?

Rambo35

I have met a few traders who appeared to be addicted to trading and even though they were not professional traders they tended to make their daily decisions based on their trading and often cancelled or rescheduled planed events during the week due to trading.

I think they did that because they were not profitable and believed that they need to be glued to their screens in order to finally turn around and generate profits on a few trades. They seemed addicted to it which influenced their lives in a negative way. You always read about the positives in trading, but very few mention the negative impacts a lot of people suffer (besides losing your capital).

1. Am I addicted to trading?

NO

2. Would I rather be at my screen watching the market than doing things that most other people find interesting?

YES

That is why I do this.

I have met a few traders who appeared to be addicted to trading and even though they were not professional traders they tended to make their daily decisions based on their trading and often cancelled or rescheduled planed events during the week due to trading.

There always will be gamblers, no matter where you are. If there is involved adrenaline rush and risk of losing money or chance of winning big - you will see these type of people almost 100%.

Always Yours, CO :)

I think they did that because they were not profitable and believed that they need to be glued to their screens in order to finally turn around and generate profits on a few trades. They seemed addicted to it which influenced their lives in a negative way. You always read about the positives in trading, but very few mention the negative impacts a lot of people suffer (besides losing your capital).

The belief that you need to be glued to your screens is simply indicative that the trader does not have a valid trading methodology.

Less screen time is actually a better approach - not only is it less demanding but in my experience it is counter-productive.

Last edited:
There always will be gamblers, no matter where you are. If there is involved adrenaline rush and risk of losing money or chance of winning big - you will see these type of people almost 100%.

Always Yours, CO :)

That's why so many fail as traders (y)

ok i'll be the first to admit my problem - apparently thats the first step..

my name is dealer911 and I am a trading addict (round of applause please and a group hug)

does anyone find themselves looking at numbers in daily life in a different way?

No I am not addicted to forex trading . forex trading is a way of earning for me . If I am not successful I will not stick with it . I will do another work for my living. Some people are so much addicted that they loose again and again in forex . They must first trained them self in trading.

Ok, so what's the difference between addicted trader and just a gambler?

I guess essentially they are the similar in many points, but an addicted trader may follow some sort of strategy which is not producing the desired results and they feel they have to be glued to their screen. On the other hand I am sure gamblers state that they follow a strategy.

Sometimes it is tough to draw the line between dedication and a mild addiction. If you're really dedicated to getting a head you need to put in a lot of time as with anything else in life, so I don't think there is really an issue as long as you're getting better over time. If you never make any progress I suppose it may be wise to pursue other ventures, but usually hard work pays off and being slightly addictive to a productive activity probably isn't a bad thing. I think where a lot of traders make a mistake is studying the wrong material and searching for the "holy grail" while totally neglecting risk management.