Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Japan down a little and Hong Kong up, but very choppy.
AUD/USD opened lower, but now climbing and closed the gap from Friday.
EUR/USD also closed the gap, but now heading lower.
Looking at the FTSE in the past when it goes over 6000 it spends a lot of time above 6000.
2 years in some cases with only a couple of short pops below 6000.
6500/600 looks possible in the coming weeks.
A 3% correction would be good in Feb first, which would see 6100
Would then be good to see strong support from 6100 to 6200, before the move higher.

Exclusive: Bank probes find manipulation in Singapore's offshore FX market - source | Reuters

Last edited:
Morning Guys, still think u have to look for entry points on sell offs into these markets, 14k on the dow is going to happen this week IMO, also NFP friday looking for a nice juicy number above 200k

Morning.

89% are still short the FTSE. This morning 57% of trades on FTSE were buys.

what do these stats actually mean? IMO it perhaps does not tell even half the story.

a) we dont know position sizes - so the 11% buys could be bigger in size than 89% shorts.

b) we dont know net positions - so the longs in individual stocks could have been hedged by shorts in indices

c) we dont know the timeframes - there could be long running shorts with proper money management.

without any of those not sure what does it really indicate. also not sure how much to rely on SB data.

having said all that I think the extreme shorts do show that the market still has significant fear and till then perhaps are not in bubble territory and will continue to rise

anyone watch the cityindex trading academy? the chap who won the competition did not have a clue about trading, the city index pro's did not teach him anything worth knowing and this is why 80% of the "trained" contestants lost money

if spread bet clients knew about hedging,money management (what ever that is) then 80% of them would not lose money.

the market has significant fear and thats why the VIX is at 5 year lows

if you short the FTSE100 and use a stop, you are "signalling" to the market that you are a buyer 30-50pts above the market, the insiders all the need to do is move the market to your stop and then sell you the index 30-50 above your entry,

FTSE is 6290 imagine if a forced buyer was at 6330, you can set your algo to buy every upto 6330, and you will have a buyer who is forced to take what u are selling. and if u can spike it 20pts through the bulk of shorts even better.

this is a long winded explanation of stop hunting

why do people fight the trend, the pro's have been bullish indices and have been looking for 1530/1550 sp500

mornin' all

ftse trading flat to strongish vs dow this morning.

I've still got 65 of the ftse constituents in swing up trend, but an increasing number moving to neutral (by failure to make new highs after retracement) and a few rolling over to swing down trend (by virtue of breaching previous swing low). Things may be beginning to change.

On the other hand we're in the isa selling season so there's plenty of cash being dragged in to fuel the market.

As usual, it'll go up or down from here :LOL:

mornin' all

ftse trading flat to strongish vs dow this morning.

I've still got 65 of the ftse constituents in swing up trend, but an increasing number moving to neutral (by failure to make new highs after retracement) and a few rolling over to swing down trend (by virtue of breaching previous swing low). Things may be beginning to change.

On the other hand we're in the isa selling season so there's plenty of cash being dragged in to fuel the market.

As usual, it'll go up or down from here :LOL:

Following on from this (miners are particularly iffy as a group) and melding with "fighting the trend".

On the equities I will still be favouring longs but will take half position shorts if they come up. I will move to full position shorts if and when the short side is proving more fertile than the long and I will drop to half position longs when the first potential trend change light goes on with FTSE.

I don't really trade FTSE directionally, as you know, but so what if you keep favouring longs. If the thing does turn down it only means that you find yourself trading counter trend for a bit where the ground is less fertile.