Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

I have never seen the markets so bullish for a long time, yesterday at open the DOW flew straight up whereas it is normally very volatile in at least a 30 point range till the direction emerges. I do realise that shorting FTSE at the moment is dangerous but for me it is too high to go long. If this last short goes wrong I will keep out of the market till normality resumes.

Ian

Morning Guys, im also in the shorted this morning and have sat here all morning watch it go in my face, true trend is up, but when even the Sun is reporting that equities are pushing up you know its getting toppy !

You can't let it go on for so long, mate. I used yesterday's top and lost 4 points, but, now, I'm 18 up on this trade. Whether I will get it all, or more, I don't know, of course, that is why people use targets. I'm loathe to do that and it costs me! :(

Good morning all.
Closed Monday's short (6355) at a 55 point loss.
Gone short again at 6449 at low stakes. Will let this one have a good run.
Anyone can work out how much VOD spike has added to FTSE, suspect about 30 points?
Ian

I read on Yahoo finance that VOD when up 6.5% today added 22 points to the FTSE

I'm a live coward for +16.

good move it looks, split. Keep your eye on DOW if FTSE outstrips it for a bit - it was +11 for the 11am - noon hour (ie: 11 higher than it should have been just matching DOW)- then it (ftse) likely to come back a bit.

Thanks for that.

Ian

No probs.

I am also short FTSE from 6451. Its a low probability trade as it is counter trend but I thought the risk to reward ratio was good.

The FTSE is at the top of the daily,4 hour,hourly & 30 minutes channel so I was looking for a reversal signal.
On the 5 minute chart there was a bull trend this morning followed by a break below the bull trend line and below the 20 EMA .We then had a test of the days high and a double top.So I see this as a possible short term reversal.

Last edited:
You can't let it go on for so long, mate. I used yesterday's top and lost 4 points, but, now, I'm 18 up on this trade. Whether I will get it all, or more, I don't know, of course, that is why people use targets. I'm loathe to do that and it costs me! :(

Its only 60 ticks offside (DAX) im a swing trader not a scalper im happy to run this thing for a while, i have my entry and exit levels, i bought on monday so i have a decent amount to play with , the top of the recent moves was my entry level, yes its gone through but 8000 should weigh.

Plus ADP numbers double edge sword better numbers means likelyhood of end of QE, the only reason markets are u here

Next couple of days will be interesting with ECB tomorrow and Non Farms on Friday

ECB wont cut or even hint at one, but i think they will downgrade growth forecasts etc so could see risk coming off from that , but as for NFP its still all about QE bad figure means QE for longer which is good, good number is good for economy but no more QE which in equity terms will be bad, madness this is the way markets trade these days.

I thought that there could be a change of trend today, shorted, changed my mind and closed at BE. Now I am holding a six point gain of 6. It does seem to me now, though, that there is some upside left.

I wonder whether, in all the years that I have been trading, I might have been better off going for a set target of i.e.10 points rather than letting winners run. If I had done I would be on the sidelines, now, with a profit.

Interesting setup on S&P futures (looking at, say, hourly chart):

05/03 18:00 H 1542.45
06/03 09:00 H 1544.15
06/03 13:00-14:00 H 1544.65
06/03 19:00 H 1544.15
07/03 9:00-10:00 H 1542.45

Kind of pointing to a down move ?
Of course, it could be nothing.

Attachments

• sandp07032013.jpg
    sandp07032013.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 118