Anyone in Thailand?

Does anyone here happen to have a quality Internet package through TOT? I purchased a condo out in Chaeng Watthana and will be back there soon for an extended period. I do have Internet access, but not real happy with the bandwidth. Prior to calling the company and trying to explain something to them, I thought perhaps one of you would be able to give me some idea as to what package I should ask for. I just don't want to spend half an hour on the phone with someone and then have to start over with someone else until they finally say they have what they think I want; then I end up with something else entirely. Thanks for the help and unfortunately I will not be back to Thailand until 8 March and will miss out on the festivities of the 6th.

Hi Ezreddy,

as Pedro pointed out, apparently the one to go for is the SME business option, at approx 3,500 baht I gather. He seems to be very pleased with that option.

One thing I have learnt from experience is that your choice of platform may complicate/ease things. For example yesterday I changed from Tradestation over to eSignal - I have been holding off doing that for ages(1 year), but you need to be able to see your charts for starters. So far so good, but only time will tell.

Last summer, when True residential lines were performing very badly, True gave me a 1 week trial of the SME Business package, but the speeds for me were the same as the normal line, when speedtesting to US servers and sites (dslreports.com and speedtest.net etc). TS charting was also experiencing huge lags, or blank charts, sometimes during the daytime, but especially at the opening bell in the evening). I obviously didn't go ahead, but things may either be better now, or may be better in your area. Hope this helps you a little.

I wish you luck, smooth trading and lightning fast connections in the Land of Smiles :)

Seymour

Hi Ezreddy,

as Pedro pointed out, apparently the one to go for is the SME business option, at approx 3,500 baht I gather. He seems to be very pleased with that option.

One thing I have learnt from experience is that your choice of platform may complicate/ease things. For example yesterday I changed from Tradestation over to eSignal - I have been holding off doing that for ages(1 year), but you need to be able to see your charts for starters. So far so good, but only time will tell.

Last summer, when True residential lines were performing very badly, True gave me a 1 week trial of the SME Business package, but the speeds for me were the same as the normal line, when speedtesting to US servers and sites (dslreports.com and speedtest.net etc). TS charting was also experiencing huge lags, or blank charts, sometimes during the daytime, but especially at the opening bell in the evening). I obviously didn't go ahead, but things may either be better now, or may be better in your area. Hope this helps you a little.

I wish you luck, smooth trading and lightning fast connections in the Land of Smiles :)

Seymour

My issue is that I have TOT and not True at my condo. It is a year old condo and I was told that True is not available there at this moment. I will start working on this via phone when I get back in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

Thanks

i wondered are you guys banging hookers everynight after trade? lol

1. that would make it about 4m in the early morning :sleep: , you idiot

2. we're mostly all married :love: family men (or as good as) :innocent: , you idiot

3. you're post is offensive :mad: , you idiot

4. only at weekends or when the wife is away :devilish:, :cheesy: :cool:

My issue is that I have TOT and not True at my condo. It is a year old condo and I was told that True is not available there at this moment. I will start working on this via phone when I get back in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

Thanks

Where is it ?

I just moved into a new place in Ekkamai - there's no True lines there, as I'm an SME user, they hooked me up in the new place within 4 days.

1. that would make it about 4m in the early morning :sleep: , you idiot

2. we're mostly all married :love: family men (or as good as) :innocent: , you idiot

3. you're post is offensive :mad: , you idiot

4. only at weekends or when the wife is away :devilish:, :cheesy: :cool:

Plus most of us can trade more than we can have sex....

Where is it ?

I just moved into a new place in Ekkamai - there's no True lines there, as I'm an SME user, they hooked me up in the new place within 4 days.

I am up in Chaeng Watthana. I have just checked out some information on Thaivisa and I may not have a problem with TOT. I will have the wife check this out and see what she finds out through TOT. I don't expect the information to be accurate, but TIT.

Hi Ezreddy,

Seymour

Seymour,
Thanks for the info. Have started trying out eSignal here and ran into some lagging problems on level 2 information. Do you have any specific setups for Thailand that you use? Thanks.

Seymour,
Thanks for the info. Have started trying out eSignal here and ran into some lagging problems on level 2 information. Do you have any specific setups for Thailand that you use? Thanks.

Hi Ezreddy...

funnily enough I am now having problems with Esignal too, and my broker/prop firm's platfprm which is Laser through CY Group, hwoevere I have moved back to London(!). This means no trading after the NY lunchtime, meaning any profits have to be made and taken by 5-6 pm here. It seems like you ALWYS need a business /sme line, less people on the line (called Lower contention rate), ESPECIALLY during those important trading hours, no matter where you are.

What do you mean setups? Internet or trading setups? Internet - I have nothing, trading - lots of nice setups!

good luck, go for the biz line if you can get it, as Pedro said, being a SME biz user, means they can often get a line installed anyhow(ie it's worth their while!). Given the amount of money you stand to lose by missing out on the action, it could be an idea to fork out for 2 different biz lines from different providers.

S...

Last edited:
Hi Ezreddy...

funnily enough I am now having problems with Esignal too, and my broker/prop firm's platfprm which is Laser through CY Group, hwoevere I have moved back to London(!). This means no trading after the NY lunchtime, meaning any profits have to be made and taken by 5-6 pm here. It seems like you ALWYS need a business /sme line, less people on the line (called Lower contention rate), ESPECIALLY during those important trading hours, no matter where you are.

What do you mean setups? Internet or trading setups? Internet - I have nothing, trading - lots of nice setups!

good luck, go for the biz line if you can get it, as Pedro said, being a SME biz user, means they can often get a line installed anyhow(ie it's worth their while!). Given the amount of money you stand to lose by missing out on the action, it could be an idea to fork out for 2 different biz lines from different providers.

S...

Same problems with Esignal here. Changed to Sierra with IB Hong Kong server feed. OK now.

Hi everybody!
I am from Germany and I will move to Thailand the next months.
To create an income I want to do some daytrading.
I have to buy a computer now and I chose the following components:

Intel Board - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
CPU-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Cool Master HyperTX 2
Speicher A-Data DDR2-1066 4 GB
Asus EN9600GT / HTDI
2 x Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB
LiteOn iHAS422
Cooler Master Centurion 5
Cooler Master RealPower M 520W
USV Powerware 5115 1400i

I am sure, it would be easier and maybe cheaper for me to buy all this in Bangkok then in Germany. :)
But is it possible?
Did you make any experience with buying an "individual computer" in Bangkok?
and if yes, can you give me some recommendations where I can ask about it in Bangkok?
thank you very much!

sven

Hi everybody!
I am from Germany and I will move to Thailand the next months.
To create an income I want to do some daytrading.

sven

Sven,
I do not know the going rates in Germany, but you can certainly buy computers and peripherals in Bangkok. Any major mall will have equipment and some type of computer type place, but you probably want to go to Panthip Plaza and shop around the many floors of computer equipment if you want the best price. I don't have the going rates now, but you will definitely know after a few hours what the best price is and who has that price. You can then go back and work on some lower pricing or additional free equipment.

Internet connections are not too bad...well...they are better than most countries were fifteen years ago. If you have only been to Thailand as a tourist, then you may have an idea what type of customer service to expect when you have problems. Let's just say that lightning quick German response and laser like attention to detail will be sorely missed.

As for your plans on daytrading, it is certainly possible in BKK, but I would hope you have already established a winning history of trading prior to your relocation.

Good luck!
ez

Same problems with Esignal here. Changed to Sierra with IB Hong Kong server feed. OK now.

daxbr,
Are you in Thailand as well? I cannot say that I had the best response time, but it was sufficient for me most of the time. I was stuck with TOT up in Chaeng Watthana and don't have any other options in the condo that I own. Will be headed back to stay next month and will see if I run into any issues with eSignal then. I actually had a better response time with eSignal there than my other streaming data. The first time I tried eSignal in Thailand back in March 2008 it was the other way around. I was able to pinpoint that to eSignal and their extensive issues around the world at that time. Quite a long forum post on their site at the time with some real angry customers. The only way you could have made it worse was if you stated that the plane would (would not) fly.

Thanks for the assistance and leave me some Singha!
ez

Sven,
I do not know the going rates in Germany, but you can certainly buy computers and peripherals in Bangkok. Any major mall will have equipment and some type of computer type place, but you probably want to go to Panthip Plaza and shop around the many floors of computer equipment
hey ez!
thanks for your quick reply!
that sounds very good. but i cannot only buy the equipment and fix it by myself. I am not a pro in technical things.
where did you all buy your computer? in bangkok or did you bring it to thailand?
Let's just say that lightning quick German response and laser like attention to detail will be sorely missed.
hehehe, yes i don´t expect this kind of service.
I already got told that i have to be patient. that i should ask CAT for their service and that i probably just have about 2mbit..

As for your plans on daytrading, it is certainly possible in BKK, but I would hope you have already established a winning history of trading prior to your relocation.
Good luck!
ez
thank you very much!
I think i will go to ko samui and trade there. i have no winning history so far because i work for a bank at the moment and i am not allowed to do intraday trades.
trades on paper work but i know that i cannot compare.. :)
so thank you very much and i will have a look for panthip plaza!
sven

hey ez!
thanks for your quick reply!
that sounds very good. but i cannot only buy the equipment and fix it by myself. I am not a pro in technical things.
where did you all buy your computer? in bangkok or did you bring it to thailand?

This is Thailand, not the moon. Go to a shop, buy a PC, take it home, switch it on. Pretty much the same brands here as at home.

hehehe, yes i don´t expect this kind of service.
I already got told that i have to be patient. that i should ask CAT for their service and that i probably just have about 2mbit..

Good luck with the Communications Authority of Thailand... wrong bunch I'm afraid. They own the international lines but you don't go to them for an internet package.

You need either TOT or True. I'd recommend True's SME package.

true internet

thank you very much!
I think i will go to ko samui and trade there. i have no winning history so far because i work for a bank at the moment and i am not allowed to do intraday trades.
trades on paper work but i know that i cannot compare.. :)
so thank you very much and i will have a look for panthip plaza!
sven

Good luck.

Good luck with the Communications Authority of Thailand... wrong bunch I'm afraid. They own the international lines but you don't go to them for an internet package.
You need either TOT or True. I'd recommend True's SME package.
true internet
Good luck.
hey pedro01!
thank you for your response!
I am sorry, but what do you mean with TOT or True?
Everybody told me i should ask CAT.
that true or tot wouldn´t be able provide the lines they promise and that the lines wouldn´t be as stable as Cats.
you write CAT owns the international ones. but i need the international ones because i have my account in germany. or is there a mistake in my thoughts?
as i wrote above i don´t have much knowledge of the technical side.
thank you!

sven

Hi everyone,
i'm currently on Koh Samui, and will be here until the 15th May.
if there's anyone on the island who is a trader, i'd love to catch up for a chin wag.
hope to hear from someone,
Dawso

hey pedro01!
thank you for your response!
I am sorry, but what do you mean with TOT or True?
Everybody told me i should ask CAT.
that true or tot wouldn´t be able provide the lines they promise and that the lines wouldn´t be as stable as Cats.
you write CAT owns the international ones. but i need the international ones because i have my account in germany. or is there a mistake in my thoughts?
as i wrote above i don´t have much knowledge of the technical side.
thank you!

sven

You need to contact TRUE and get an "SME" internet package. I have been using TRUE internet for years, I have also used Loxinfo & other ISPs. I am writing this message whilst connected via a TRUE internet connection. I use Tradestation & Strategy Runner on True & it works perfectly IF you have the SME package.

CAT is not the organization you need to contact - whoever is telling you that does not have the correct information.

I have been living here for 12 years. Trust me on this.

Hi,

Im thinking about moving to thailand to trade...
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the average monthly costs for living.
Rent? Food? Internet??
What can I expect to be spending, in Baht.
Also...Is it cheaper to live in cities other than Phuket and BKK?
And if so,....is the internet less stable there??

Thanks