Anyone in Thailand?

dutchy124

Hi, I live in Thailand and it would be great to meet up with any investors for a chat and a drink. Although I live Near Korat I do get around the country quite a bit. If you fancy a chat drop me a line.

Hi, I live in Thailand and it would be great to meet up with any investors for a chat and a drink. Although I live Near Korat I do get around the country quite a bit. If you fancy a chat drop me a line.

i'm in Bangkok. let me know next time you're coming down here

Hi - dug out this thread to ask about trading in Thailand. I live and work in Australia (ex-UK) but go to Thailand regularly (Wife is Thai). I wanted to ask about what trading platforms people use and broadband/wireless access(speed/reliability).

Hope you can help. PM me if you want. (Garry - I sent you a pm)

Cheers,

swiss

Trading platforms

Hi Swissy,

Sorry I did not get your PM message. Never mind. For trading platforms I use FXCM in Switzerland and gain Capital in USA. I opened those accounts from here with no trouble at all. I also use spread Betting companies in the UK which have been opened a long time before I moved here.

I live out in the countryside and do not have a land line, I use a satellite internet connection and it is pretty good, except it can run away a couple of times a day when usage is high. Also the weather can create a few problems. Having said that I have never missed a trade or not been able to close a trade as yet due to the internet problems.

As for Bangkok I have been told internet access is no problem and high speed connections are available.

Hope that answers your questions.

Clive.

Hi Swissy,

Sorry I did not get your PM message. Never mind. For trading platforms I use FXCM in Switzerland and gain Capital in USA. I opened those accounts from here with no trouble at all. I also use spread Betting companies in the UK which have been opened a long time before I moved here.

I live out in the countryside and do not have a land line, I use a satellite internet connection and it is pretty good, except it can run away a couple of times a day when usage is high. Also the weather can create a few problems. Having said that I have never missed a trade or not been able to close a trade as yet due to the internet problems.

As for Bangkok I have been told internet access is no problem and high speed connections are available.

Hope that answers your questions.

Clive.

Thanks Clive - useful info. Sounds like you have a pretty extensive set up and have got it sorted - it must be a challenge trading in the sticks there - well done (and you can grow your own fruit/veg as a sideline!).
Good luck with your trades!
Best,
Swiss

I live in Bangkok & the internet is fine here, although slower than back home.

I'm not trading actively at the moment but I have Tradestation up & running and it's fine when being run for backtesting & analysis.

For my business - my internet connection costs around $3000 a month but at home it's around $15 so if you want a really high speed line - it's pretty expensive.

HI Fellow Traders, I will be retiring to Udon area soon from the USA. I will be going through the same things. Where would I go for satellites and such? Also does anyone know what is the tax burden on Forex gains in Thailand? I just joined today here and hope to hear from some of you and when I get established in Thai to meet you as well. Thanks Darrell 52

I like to holiday in Phuket. Usually in January when its coldest in the UK. I'll let you know my plans closer to the day.

HI Fellow Traders, I will be retiring to Udon area soon from the USA. I will be going through the same things. Where would I go for satellites and such? Also does anyone know what is the tax burden on Forex gains in Thailand? I just joined today here and hope to hear from some of you and when I get established in Thai to meet you as well. Thanks Darrell 52

Keep your accounts outside of Thailand, don't declare your earnings here or you'll put yourself in a position where you'll need a work permit.

You will not get a work permit for trading here.

Thanks for your reply. What about internet ,DO you have any valid info on that. Again thanks. Good trading Darrell

Thanks for your reply. What about internet ,DO you have any valid info on that. Again thanks. Good trading Darrell

I live in Bangkok - I have a 2gig leased line in the office & ADSL at home and botha re fine.

I have 1 friend who had a satellite link out in the boonies but that was 3 or 4 years ago, the performance was not as good as leased line.

I know Udon is out in the sticks a bit - but don't presume True or TOT can't get an ADSL line out there - are you living near the town or in a small village ?

Hi Guys I live in the Uk and get bad eczema. I have travelled South east Asia extensively and know from my time there that my skin clears up straight away. I am aiming to become a good enough trader to hopefully move out to Bangkok or Pattaya where I have friends. I use capital spreads to trade with and obviously would put my money in to UK banks so I am not worried on this score. My only concern is with the speed of the internet connection I have heard they really slow when the children get home from school which obviously would be about when i want to start trading
Thanks for any info guys

Internet connections are no problem at all, atleast in Bangkok. The only real problem will be the power blinking off on you, but that's easy enough to sort out. I think it's called a USB, it keeps the computer on for a while if the power poops out. I've got 1MB or GB, I don't know, from True, and have never had any problems. I'll normally have streaming quotes running from atleast 2 or 3 different platforms at the same time, and have never had any difficulty. The Thai market itself has problems supplying data feed, but that's nothing to do with an internet connection.

This is so wonderful that there are so many traders in Bangkok. I'm a newbie myself. I've been paper trading futures, mainly the YM, and trading on the American and Thai markets with real money for about 1 year now. I spend everyday studying, and am very active over at freetradingvideos.com. Sorry to plug another site, I'll plug you over there too!

Anyone here trade on the SET?

The packages are pretty bad. You can get a data feed for about 100 bucks a year and buy a platform like metastock.

Kimeng has liberty, which is half decent. It's a streaming chart with all your basics. Not great, but tradeable. It took me a while to find liberty, first I was using they're real time charts. It's worth checking out.

There are alot of other problems with the Thai market as well. No electronic stops, dodgey data feed, no market internals, and I think massive corruption. I've noticed that just before major players unload intraday, the market's data feed freezes for about 20 seconds. Then it starts back up again once a massive number of shares have allready been dumped.

There are advanteges believe it or not. No day trading rules, no capital gains tax, and well, that's about it. There is no way to hedge yourself, you can only buy long, and you can't even trade pre market.

I'll let you know if I find another advantage.