A Trip Down T2W Memory Lane

Didn't JonnyT quit in the end?

Quit trading you mean? I've no idea - he seemed to be addicted to mechanical systems and had one that was all the rage for a while. I was only a part-time peruser back then so my memories of that era are a bit.....patchy.

Around the time i joined T2W, he was quite active, he posted several free mechanical breakout systems on T2W, mostly for the FX, but a few SIF systems too.

He got a good following from newbies and so decided to become a system vendor.

He sold two or three systems. His final one was a rip off of a free system on the MoneyTech forum, a weekly breakout system on the GBP called SIBKISS. He took it, modified it a bit (he added a fixed profit target) and sold it for 300 quid a pop.

I remember some of the guys who paid for it were a bit pissed off to say the least as all they got for their money was a couple of pages in a PDF document describing a simple breakout system.

Anyway that particular system was curve fit and had stellar past performance only to fail miserably going forward.

He gave up system vending and went full time trader for a while, only to give up after a few months.. Went back to work and stopped posting here.

There was another Mech Trader alias Sidinuk who posted one of the first articles in the T2W Knowledge lab (remember that?), that system also had a nice steadily rising equity curve in backtesting only to flatline after he published the article. I wonder what happened to him?

Last edited:
Fettered Chinos
Johnny T

When i joined two of the moderators were FTSE Beater and SkimbleShanks.

I dont think FTSE Beater ever made it as a trader, but Skimble gave the impression she was a profitable ES trader.

damn shame :( working through the animal stories it would be nice to have his input :smart: if my conclusions and understanding is correct (n)

A damn shame you say? How ironic. It is ignorant, rude, petulant, unpleasant insufferable individuals like you that drive the holders of valuable trading knowledge away from these forums. You can attempt to entertain us (but mostly yourself) with your idiotic one liners as you jump from thread to thread begging for information, but one day you will find yourself in desperate need of information and it will be withheld. I am telling you this for YOUR benefit, not mine. Don't expect me to tell you if your understanding of the animal allegories are correct. Go and spend 1000's of hours of your time and $1000's of your own money figuring it out. Maybe then I will have some degree of respect for you. Until then, I strongly advise you not to annoy me anymore.

I don't think that dilesh23 needs to go "begging for information" he has already proved himself to have sufficient trading knowledge to do well without the help of others :cool:

While we take look back with rose tinted glasses at the past here on T2W it may be worth noting that the current membership aren't without trading skill you know. Take a look at the Beat The Broker thread, Mic Mills of ETX was most impressed that T2W members consistently filled the top 60 list all week, thousands entered, so was a worthy achievement. Plenty of members here were placed and won prizes.

Given a choice I personally wouldn't turn the clock back. Then it was a den of multinicks, closet vendors and trolls. Now you have a reasonably clean site (as far as we know), plenty of members who know what they are doing if you just look around.

Given a choice I personally wouldn't turn the clock back. Then it was a den of multinicks, closet vendors and trolls. Now you have a reasonably clean site (as far as we know), plenty of members who know what they are doing if you just look around.

Still waiting for the links to 3 threads that offer; in-depth, detailed, discussions in furthering the understanding of markets and participants. (no leading to pay rooms or pay tutoring, or 'short-cut' setups.. proper understanding) Tony and Albert may have been a pain in the ass at times but at least they made you think.

Anything pre 2005 really...

Who to listen too, wow, not so easy but the array was so much better and the tpoics so much more in-depth. EVERYONE seemed eager and intent on learning and discussing and helping but off the top of my head......

TheBramble
Socrates
BBB
Thirteen
DaveJB
Frugi
Chartman
MrMarcus
Sandpiper
CharlieChan
DC2000
Dbphoenix
Ducatti

The list could and would go on and I'm sure others could add to this too..... (some members will argue they shouldn't be in the same list and some will say others shouldn't be in the list at all but they all contributed nuggets and gems for different merits.)

No btw, no word document! Sorry...

I was quite surprised when Thirteen got banned and I think it was a political mistake.

He was a bit of a rough diamond but I suspect he had a lot more to contribute.

dd

I have a lot of sympathy with the comments made by Wasp and others. On the face of it, if there was a chart of T2W for its content and informed debate about trading, I suspect it might look like something from the banking sector. However, I also think that Don is right - there is lots of good stuff here - it's just hard to find. Although Sharky will disagree, I think T2W is just too big to function effectively. If you log on just once a day, there can easily 5 pages of new threads to wade through. I suspect, like most people, I look at very few of them. Some sort of filter has to be applied and, for me, it's a combination of an attention grabbing title and/or the thread is started by a member I know and respect. I often wonder how much good stuff I miss amongst all the dross. In the 'good ol' days' when the likes of Skim' and Chartman were around, there were less that 30,000 members; now there's five times as many. Inevitably, the ratio of quality content relative to total cr@p is always going to be small and, as the site continues to grow exponentially, the good stuff will become ever harder to find. If I still had my 'T2W Advisor' hat on, I think I would be pushing for the site to be divided in some way to help filter the wheat from the chaff. I realise there are all kinds of problems associated with this but, sooner or later, I think it's going to have to be considered if the issues raised by Wasp and others are to be addressed.
Tim.

I have a lot of sympathy with the comments made by Wasp and others. On the face of it, if there was a chart of T2W for its content and informed debate about trading, I suspect it might look like something from the banking sector. However, I also think that Don is right - there is lots of good stuff here - it's just hard to find. Although Sharky will disagree, I think T2W is just too big to function effectively. If you log on just once a day, there can easily 5 pages of new threads to wade through. I suspect, like most people, I look at very few of them. Some sort of filter has to be applied and, for me, it's a combination of an attention grabbing title and/or the thread is started by a member I know and respect. I often wonder how much good stuff I miss amongst all the dross. In the 'good ol' days' when the likes of Skim' and Chartman were around, there were less that 30,000 members; now there's five times as many. Inevitably, the ratio of quality content relative to total cr@p is always going to be small and, as the site continues to grow exponentially, the good stuff will become ever harder to find. If I still had my 'T2W Advisor' hat on, I think I would be pushing for the site to be divided in some way to help filter the wheat from the chaff. I realise there are all kinds of problems associated with this but, sooner or later, I think it's going to have to be considered if the issues raised by Wasp and others are to be addressed.
Tim.

Didn't we do this already and the lack of input and change from Sharky was what caused firewalker and I, and others, to go to Tlab and/or chatzy in the first place.

Yes...that's exactly what they made me think.

You cannot deny that, aside their nightmare persona's, they provided 10 times the content of half the posters currently.

Yes I agree wasp.
Also like Tim's post ref splitting....maybe members have to earn their stripes to be invited on to the next level...and so on...judged by their peers at that level before moving up again...just bouncing ideas.

Well, I'm going to don my rose tinted glasses, drink up and say adieus as there is nowt here for me anymore...

Attachments

• cowboy-sunset.jpg
    cowboy-sunset.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 175
To me internet forums like T2W have three main purposes.

1.Keeping up with Industry changes (eg new exchange products, regulations, outages etc)
2.An entertaining passtime (sharing anecdotes and such like).
3.The odd social meetup with like minded people

Education was never really on my list, if i want to learn about trading in general or a specific topic i can buy a 300 page book on it written by an expert who has spent years researching the subject, rather than a web post knocked up in a couple of hours at most.

In these respects T2W continues to be useful to me atleast.

....I agree some very good people have left or do not contribute any more.....This site used to be one rare exception to the other sites...but I am sure that there will be others who will fill in their shoes......But for me it will not be the same.....Perhaps I am getting old...!!

A damn shame you say? How ironic. It is ignorant, rude, petulant, unpleasant insufferable individuals like you that drive the holders of valuable trading knowledge away from these forums. You can attempt to entertain us (but mostly yourself) with your idiotic one liners as you jump from thread to thread begging for information, but one day you will find yourself in desperate need of information and it will be withheld. I am telling you this for YOUR benefit, not mine. Don't expect me to tell you if your understanding of the animal allegories are correct. Go and spend 1000's of hours of your time and $1000's of your own money figuring it out. Maybe then I will have some degree of respect for you. Until then, I strongly advise you not to annoy me anymore.

Or what, you'll internet slap him?

You have to be the rudest member on this site! :LOL:

Didn't we do this already and the lack of input and change from Sharky was what caused firewalker and I, and others, to go to Tlab and/or chatzy in the first place.
Now you mention it - it does ring a bell! But why not revisit the idea? I think it's time that something is done; ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. As for Sharky, well, I would have thought he'd be open to any idea from vet's and advisors to improve the site so long as it doesn't sap his time or his (bulging!) wallet.

The obvious problem with sectioning off - or dividing - the site is that there will, inevitably, be a vociferous minority who will feel victimized and alienated etc. They will start threads that will become very popular and get listed on the front page etc. Ironically, in so doing, this course of action is likely to fan the raging fire of non trading rich content. Even so, I think it's time to bite the bullet and go for it.
Tim.

....I agree some very good people have left or do not contribute any more.....This site used to be one rare exception to the other sites...but I am sure that there will be others who will fill in their shoes......But for me it will not be the same.....Perhaps I am getting old...!!

its the old cycle.

newbies joining to learn. asking (same old) questions. experienced members replying.
newbies latch onto something they can work with (be it indicators, candle-patterns, PA), and start to filter their reading towards it.
at some point most of their questions are answered, and they settle into a rhythm.
use site for banter rather than education.
newbies become experienced, legendary members.
some leave, as there is nothing new to do, except have fun.

new set of newbies arrive. asking same old questions. the old newbies answer some questions, since they are now the experienced ones.

so the cycle continues. maybe T2W has an approximately 4-year cycle for this.