Memory

JTrader

All alone in the moonlight, i can smile at the old days.......
Oops sorry, started day dreaming again!

MEMORY - RAM - Regarding adding two graphics cards to a PC such as having an AGP card & a PCI card, i have been taught that it is a good idea to mix two different brands. Because if you have two of the same make in a PC, they have the same/a very similar chipset, and they can interfere with each other, not combining well.

I want to add more RAM to my systems one spare memory slot.
Does memory work in the same way as graphics cards, in that it is a good idea to use different makes of memory?
Or, is it a good idea to use the same makes of memory?
Or, as long as they are compatible in terms of specifications like DDR, 184 pin dimm slots, PC2700, is the actual manufacturer unimportant?

Many thanks.

PS. here are some useful memory links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

All alone in the moonlight, i can smile at the old days.......
Oops sorry, started day dreaming again!

MEMORY - RAM - Regarding adding two graphics cards to a PC such as having an AGP card & a PCI card, i have been taught that it is a good idea to mix two different brands. Because if you have two of the same make in a PC, they have the same/a very similar chipset, and they can interfere with each other, not combining well.

I want to add more RAM to my systems one spare memory slot.
Does memory work in the same way as graphics cards, in that it is a good idea to use different makes of memory?
Or, is it a good idea to use the same makes of memory?
Or, as long as they are compatible in terms of specifications like DDR, 184 pin dimm slots, PC2700, is the actual manufacturer unimportant?

Many thanks.

PS. here are some useful memory links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

No the reverse holds for Ram chips.

Ideally you should have the same chips with same speed and size in pairs.

Manufacturers don't really make that much difference unless you really have a top end system imo.

How many slots do you have 2 or 4?

Make sure they are identical pairs with same speed and size you should be ok.

Thanks Atila

I currently have 512mb via 2 * 256mb. I have a third slot available. The total memory capacity of my motherboard is over 3gb. Therefore running XP home, i am thinking about adding 512mb or ideally an extra 1gb.

My ASROCK K7S8X motherboard will handle the following -
- 3 x DDR DIMMs, DDR400/333/266
- DDR 266/200 Max. 3GB
- DDR 333 Max. 2GB
- DDR 400 Max. 1GB

I already have 512mb via DDR 333 (PC2700) therefore, i can add an extra 1.5GB in theory in the 3rd slot, i believe to make up the 2gb limit.

Running a full scan at http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ i received the following report -

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?
A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200,DDR PC4000 speeds.
Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?
A: 3072MB.
Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?
A: No.
No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?
Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

It sound pretty flexible, as it says i can use PC2700, 3200 or 4000. As seen as i presently have PC2700 DDR, perhaps i am best advised to stick with this type. Or, because my motherboard will take it, and DDR 400/PC3200 is a step up from PC2700, perhaps i would be better off adding PC3200 DDR RAM :confused:
I will need 184 pin DIMM RAM sticks, as all DDR memory sticks seem to come in. Therefore it looks like I would be pretty hard pressed to find one that is not compatible.

Last edited:
Thanks Atila

I currently have 512mb via 2 * 256mb. I have a third slot available. The total memory capacity of my motherboard is over 3gb. Therefore running XP home, i am thinking about adding 512mb or ideally an extra 1gb.

My ASROCK K7S8X motherboard will handle the following -
- 3 x DDR DIMMs, DDR400/333/266
- DDR 266/200 Max. 3GB
- DDR 333 Max. 2GB
- DDR 400 Max. 1GB

I already have 512mb via DDR333 (PC2700) therefore, i can add an extra 1.5GB in theory in the 3rd slot, i believe.

Running a full scan at http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ i received the following report -

It sound pretty flexible, as it says i can use PC2700, 3200 or 4000. As seen as i presently have PC2700 DDR, perhaps i am best advised to stick with this type. Or perhaps i would be better off adding PC3200 DDR RAM :confused:
I will need 184 pin DIMM RAM sticks, as all DDR memory sticks seem to come in. Therefore it looks like I would be pretty hard pressed to find one that is not compatible.

I think that means installing 3 x 1 Gb Modules.

You can't get 1.5Gb RAM. They come in 256 - 512 - 1 Gb - 2 Gb sizes.

I'd go for the faster chips like PC4000 if your system can support it. There are also now DDR 1 - 2 and DDR 3 chips out. Really must learn all their differences but all too complicated.

Be warned ordering the wrong type of RAM for your PC can damage your wallet.

I have 2 Gb in mine and that's plenty for my demanding usage. :)

Good luck...

There is no problem is using identical graphics cards - it's probably better to not mix them. I have a machine with 3 x Nvidia NVS 280 - two PCI and one AGP - running Linux. I have also run various odd ball configurations with up to 4 different graphics cards.

If you are adding memory you should try to get the same as what you already have - eg if you have PC3200 get more of the same. Also get memory with the same timings eg CL 2.5 etc. Identical to what you already have is the best as you will almost certainly not have any problems.

Yes what i mean is, i already have 512mb in the form of 2 * 256mb, and i intend to add 1gb to the third slot to make 1.5gb in total.

These links are also handy -
http://computermemoryupgrade.mysuperpc.com/dimm_memory_upgrade_tutorial_finish.shtml

http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/memorytype.asp?model=&memtype=CHOOSE
it's okay to mix the speed of the memory in a system. Just keep in mind that your computer is made to handle a specific memory speed, so even if you add a faster speed memory, your computer will only allow it to run at the speed your computer was made to handle............
It might seem confusing, but faster memory will NOT necessarily make your system faster. Your computer will run only as fast as the "slowest link" in your system, so you can't speed up your computer by adding faster memory. The way to make your system faster is to add more megabytes (MB) of memory.............

What does "CL" stand for?
CL stands for CAS (column address strobe) latency, which is the number of clock cycles it takes before data starts to flow after a command is received. Low CAS latency at a given frequency is faster than high CAS latency at that same frequency. (For example, CAS2 is faster than CAS3.) However, lower CAS latency will NOT necessarily make your system faster. Your computer will only run as fast as the "slowest link" in your system, so you can't speed up your computer by adding memory that is faster than your current memory. The way to make your system faster is to add more megabytes (MB) of memory.

In general, we recommend using parts with the fastest speeds. This will give you the highest level of compatibility and future upgrade path.
Thererore, it seems that i can add PC3200 or PC4000, but because i am using 2 * 256mb of PC2700, the new memory that i add will only perform up to this level. However, buying PC3200/4000 at the same price of PC2700 is preferable, in case i want to transfer this RAM stick to a newer PC, or replace the 2* 256mb with something better.

Last edited:
When i added 256mb to the existing 64mb on my old PC that used SDR, for some reason that I can't recall, only half of the added 256mb was recognised, giving me 192mb & not 320mb.
I guess this is one of the main situations that it is important to avoid when adding more RAM.

Update

I added 1gb of PC2700 memory (same as what it already had in) that i bought off ebay for a very reasonable price, and my machine now performs 2-3 times faster with 1.5gb memory, than it did with just 512mb.

This upgrade in effect probably saves me around 5 minutes total waiting time per day!

hi JT,

just ran the check on the site you provided. i am completely and absolutely computer illiterate, so have no idea what is my problem exactly. so will describe:

running several programs renders computer mega slow. i open task managers and see performance. there is a huge number of processes running. with 1 or 2 procesess taking a large chunk of CPU and Memory usage.

I really suffer because i have had to forget about using Skype (which i used and used a lot) because it would kill my trading.

results on scan were as follows

current memory 512 in 2 slots and no empty slots.

suggested memory: 1 GB in 2 512 components-slots

I know the question is stupid, so be kind with me. what should i do. upgrade or look for a bug somewhere else within my system? I really dont have a clue.

Any takers to butcher my ignorance and mock me, or kind souls to help a poor bu99er.

thanks in advance

j

EDIT: this is what it said:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Available Memory Slots: 0
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
CPU Speed: 334 MHz

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 1024MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

errr :eek: :eek: :eek: where do i know about the motherboard?

feel like the wife of a banker with a landrover broken down on the m25, calling the AA only to find out that I need to fill it up with petrol :LOL: :LOL:

edit: product specs say that 1gb is the max. (computer specs. still looking for the mother)

j

Last edited:
hi mayfly,

thank you very much too.

this is what it says.

Board: Sony Corporation Q-Project 02
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD R0110X1 05/19/2004

and it has this footnote
b. Data may be transferred on the bus at one, two, or four times the Bus Clock rate.

thank you in advance. now i feel like the wife inside the landrover telling the AA guy over the phone that the petrol indicator is exactly where the Empty sign is :LOL: :eek:

thank you again,

jacinto

hi mayfly,

thank you very much too.

this is what it says.

Board: Sony Corporation Q-Project 02
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD R0110X1 05/19/2004

and it has this footnote
b. Data may be transferred on the bus at one, two, or four times the Bus Clock rate.

thank you in advance. now i feel like the wife inside the landrover telling the AA guy over the phone that the petrol indicator is exactly where the Empty sign is :LOL: :eek:

thank you again,

jacinto

Bus speed of 133MHz is dead slow. Snails can hobble along at a faster frequency than that.

Buy a new PC.

Spending money on old RAM is waste of money imho.

Also, Skype taxes your PC a great deal. Sends lost of adware, spyware and 000s of other links to lots of websites you can not dream of. On checkpoint firewall logs it had 4000 entries in two hour period.

If you must use Skype get a special hand set and avoid using it via your PC.

Dell's recommended by me. Standard hardware and should be around for another 3 - 5 years to provide support.

thanks atilla,

feel like taking a long on cable at 1.9920 on thursday and without a stop because my snail was too low to tell me it was already at 1.9850 :LOL:

j

Last edited:
thanks atilla,

feel like taking a long on cable at 1.9920 on thursday and without a stop because my snail was too low to tell me it was already at 1.9850 :LOL:

j

Also bear in mind...

1. Having lots of yahoo and google bars on your browser slows down your pc.

2. Having Microsoft autoupdate sometimes can dramatically slow down your PC too, especially on startups.

3. MSN Messenger likewise.

There is so much rubbish on PCs these days it's amazing... Be very carefuly of which freebee packages you install. :?:

Also bear in mind...

1. Having lots of yahoo and google bars on your browser slows down your pc.

2. Having Microsoft autoupdate sometimes can dramatically slow down your PC too, especially on startups.

3. MSN Messenger likewise.

There is so much rubbish on PCs these days it's amazing... Be very carefuly of which freebee packages you install. :?:

Deleting all the unneccessary little icons that appear in the system tray from the start-all programs-startup folder may help.

Also, if you don't mind a Retro style Windows 98 appearance - In Windows XP, control panel - display - windows classic should improve performance/speed.

You could also delete any unnecessary services (that load up) using MSCONFIG.

Proceed with extreme caution. You have been warned!!

Also, if you don't mind a Retro style Windows 98 appearance - In Windows XP, control panel - display - windows classic should improve performance/speed.

But IMO this seems to make minimal difference to improving performance...

Basically, if you want to improve speed/performance, the first/main thing to do is install more memory (if possible) - thats what all the experts seem to list as numero uno.

Last edited: