Memory

JTrader

Hi everybody

my PC runs with 512 mb DDR RAM - 2 * PC333 256 mb DDR RAM memory cards.
I have another memory card from my old PC. This is a PC133 256mb SDRAM card.

My idea is that 512mb DDR RAM +256mb SDRAM will equal 768mb in total.

I have a spare memory slot on my asrock K7S8X motherboard. Can i add the 256 mb PC133 SDRAM memory card?......will it work with the 2 * PC333 256 mb DDR RAM memory cards?

is it possible to combine DDR RAM and SDRAM memory cards within a PC?

Are any problems likely to arise?

What is likely to happen if i try adding the 256mb SDRAM?

Many thanks

jtrader.

What is likely to happen if i try adding the 256mb SDRAM?

Your machine probably won't boot as they are incompatible.

If you are unlucky the motherboard will pop.

JonnyT

Last edited:
It's dependent on your motherboard. One of my machines here has slots for each of SD and DDR RAM, and they both work fine combined.

However, if I've got your motherboard correct, then the spec is as follows:

ASRock U-COP
FSB 333MHz
DDR400/333/266, Max. 3GB DDR266 memory
1 x AGP 8X/4X 1.5Volt
6 PCI slots, ASROCK I/O - default 4 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports on rear panel, default Game/MIDI port.
ATA 133 supported.
5.1 Channel audio.
Multi-languages Quick Installation Guide.
Bundle CD includes Anti Virus Software, ASRock PC DIY Live Demo, Audio Player, etc.

This states that it only has space for DDRRAM, so you won't be able to put it in.

Note: DDRAM is a different size and does not fit into slots for SDRAM, and vice versa, so if there is nowhere on your motherboard to slot the SDRAM into this is the best way to be sure. Don't force anything in if it doesn't fit!

Also, although you can mix SD and DDR in the same motherboard if it is supported, it isn't always a good idea. it could even reduce the performance of your system if you already had plenty of DDR memory anyway.

Hope this helps

I've not seem any boards that support both types of memory simultatenously but I have a couple that support both types, the type being decided via jumpers.

It would be pointless having DDR with SDRAM as the DDR couldn't be used correctly and thus you might as well just have SDRAM.

JonnyT

Thanks guys.....

Do motherboards only tend to support one version of a RAM type. For example, if DDR SDRAM is to be used - is it ever possible to combine any of PC133, PC266, PC333, PC400 etc. in the same motherboard? or do motherboards tend to require one version of the DDR SDRAM only?

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
Volatile -
However, if I've got your motherboard correct, then the spec is as follows:

ASRock U-COP
FSB 333MHz
DDR400/333/266, Max. 3GB DDR266 memory
1 x AGP 8X/4X 1.5Volt
6 PCI slots, ASROCK I/O - default 4 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports on rear panel, default Game/MIDI port.
ATA 133 supported.
5.1 Channel audio.
Multi-languages Quick Installation Guide.
Bundle CD includes Anti Virus Software, ASRock PC DIY Live Demo, Audio Player, etc.

Hi the above information that Volatile found does seem to suggest that combining DDR400/333/266 memory on the one motherboard (my motherboard) can be possible.............

Cheers

jtrader.

Different speed DDR can be used but the board will have to be set to the lowest speed memory.

This could have a dramatic affect on performance depending on the processor employed aswell.

JonnyT