A new forum - just for me!

some of the forums out there requires new members posts to be reviewed by the mod before being published ...

Some big forums do this, or simply have a section dedicated to new members. The newbie would post a thread saying "hi" in there and once a mod approves him/her, they are free to post as a member on the boards.

But yes, there is no catch-all solution that I know of. It all depends on resources as T333 mentioned.

Already got that, tar. Most held in the mod queue are because of links in the posts.

Has anyone suggested the type of member voting system ("Likes") that many of the 21st Century websites use? Where comments with the lowest votes get hidden and flagged as spam? Not sure if the 20th Century T2W technology can cope with this. I'm sure someone has mentioned it but it is worth repeating.

Has anyone suggested the type of member voting system ("Likes") that many of the 21st Century websites use? Where comments with the lowest votes get hidden and flagged as spam? Not sure if the 20th Century T2W technology can cope with this. I'm sure someone has mentioned it but it is worth repeating.

IMHO not good for discussion boards ...

It's normally quite obvious on the "New posts" list as the most annoying spammers will post in 10 or more threads in a short space of time, and so the majority of the list will be their posts only. Is there a way to give them a temporary ban automatically if this happens i.e a new poster, posting in 5 or more different threads in a short space of time. Or an old inactive account (that obviously been hacked) doing the same? That then removes the offending posts automatically from the board and gives the mods plenty time to review it and decide what to do.

Another thing I think would benefit T2W would be to take an idea from Big Mikes Trading Forum that works really really well there and introduce a "Thanks" button on the bottom right of every post. It's a big clearly labelled button and is different to the Recommend button that you have, as you are just simply saying thank you to someone for the post. It is heavily used and obviously the most popular posters have the largest amount of thanks received and each members number of thanks given and received are shown below their Avatar with every post. So if members post content of little interest to people, then they don't receive many thanks, so it's easy to see who to follow. But it encourages a much more friendly forum imo, than we see here.

thanks.png

Last edited:
Mr Steve CEO,

I develop & trade my own automated systems, and have been mostly involved in the past on Elite Trader. From times to times, I have a peek a T2W, and the only posts which ever caught my interest where from "The Hare" (I hope I get this right :) - not saying there isn't anything good beyond that, just I didn't get to see it.

Anyway, I had some time to waste tonight & I read through this entire thread. You started on Oct-17 saying you would be announcing changes in a week after taking a break, it is December 17 and unless I missed it you made no announcement (in which case please accept my apologies and point me it).

I'll save my contributions to T2W for better times

Cheers

Mr Steve CEO,

I develop & trade my own automated systems, and have been mostly involved in the past on Elite Trader. From times to times, I have a peek a T2W, and the only posts which ever caught my interest where from "The Hare" (I hope I get this right :) - not saying there isn't anything good beyond that, just I didn't get to see it.

Anyway, I had some time to waste tonight & I read through this entire thread. You started on Oct-17 saying you would be announcing changes in a week after taking a break, it is December 17 and unless I missed it you made no announcement (in which case please accept my apologies and point me it).

I'll save my contributions to T2W for better times

Cheers

I beg u please contribute :|

I
Another thing I think would benefit T2W would be to take an idea from Big Mikes Trading Forum that works really really well there and introduce a "Thanks" button on the bottom right of every post. It's a big clearly labelled button and is different to the Recommend button that you have, as you are just simply saying thank you to someone for the post. It is heavily used and obviously the most popular posters have the largest amount of thanks received and each members number of thanks given and received are shown below their Avatar with every post. So if members post content of little interest to people, then they don't receive many thanks, so it's easy to see who to follow. But it encourages a much more friendly forum imo, than we see here.

View attachment 151670

Thanks for this suggestion, i'll take a look and find out if it is possible and what others think. If it is workable i'll add it to the list of changes I'm compiling from feedback on this forum. meanwhile, any other comments on the idea of a 'thanks' button?

On a broader front, thanks for the replies so far about how to control the people who post excessively and more to the point, needlessly.

It seems to me that there is a concensus that much of this will be solved by more eyes rather than changes to the software, if such changes are even possible.

With this in mind I'm very pleased to let you know that I am very close now to improving our moderating resource and Barjon and CV will no longer be soldiering on alone!

So I think the thing to do here is change what can't wait (like we did with Vendor PM's) and see if more help does cure some of the posting stupidity with the less critical stuff.

I'll announce more about the moderation and some changes I'll be making once I have it all in place.

Thanks again for the contributions.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
It is basically a variation of the "recommended post" function we have now. I can check and see if there is a ready made plugin that can be used with the forum software.

Judging by the dwindling numbers aroung these here parts right now you'll soon be able to have the whole site to yourself Steve. Shame that, this place used to rock out with it's cokc out

So I think the thing to do here is change what can't wait (like we did with Vendor PM's) and see if more help does cure some of the posting stupidity with the less critical stuff.

Steve

Could you confirm the date on which the PM facility was removed from vendors ?

I see vendors have taken a bit of stick in previous posts BUT...........

1. T2W needs income to survive

What's the main objection to vendors ?
As far as I can see it's allowing them to advertise their wares without positive back-up. So encourage vendors to compete and show off what they can do or offer. Just claiming fantastic results isn't good enough any more really.

Most of us are here to make money.

If people are making money thanks to T2W then they are happy and the site will prosper too imho

Could you confirm the date on which the PM facility was removed from vendors ?

I still see the option to send PM to a Vendor is available ! But maybe they don't have the option to reply ?

I see vendors have taken a bit of stick in previous posts BUT...........

1. T2W needs income to survive

What's the main objection to vendors ?
As far as I can see it's allowing them to advertise their wares without positive back-up. So encourage vendors to compete and show off what they can do or offer. Just claiming fantastic results isn't good enough any more really.

Most of us are here to make money.

If people are making money thanks to T2W then they are happy and the site will prosper too imho

pat, capital spreads still contributes, as do etx capital and fxcm. vendors with services that are known and already have a following do well with their threads. these discussions, by and large stay put within their boundaries of topic.

it's the twobit entities that have no users of their services that are the problem. why should t2w members put up with these people either hawking their wares indirectly within every thread going, or posting in a way that is favorable to their agenda everywhere.

the single biggest decision that improved t2w has been done. it's worked well so far, new members will be a lot safer. we were suffering binary option blight at the time of the removal of the vendor badge link through, it almost ceased overnight and the pestilence was largely exterminated. albeit we have since contracted managed forex account fever, but that's a moderation issue rather than a guideline issue. all the first centering of rule attentions in preventing perceived "lulz" has proven mistaken. but still lulz'ish looking posts are targeted first within any multiple vendor linking threads that do appear :confused:

the only thing to suggest to get close to what you would like is get the vendor area back on the discussion table. t2w management already stated they didn't want a vendor area, so not sure if it'll be a runner.

good luck mate, and have a good xmas :D