A crime in Crimea?

Ehemmm... wrong part of the World. Shouldn't you be buying Gas? :idea:

Well it dropped sharply when the vote for russia went peacefully, I was hoping that yesterdays reversal signal, before the shots were fired would of been an opportunity.

Its beginning to look like i was wrong :mad: - 60 points down

Last edited:
Ehemmm... wrong part of the World. Shouldn't you be buying Gas? :idea:

Can you be more specific which gas futures contract? Cos the common gas futures contract is ehemmm wrong part of the world.

Can you be more specific which gas futures contract? Cos the common gas futures contract is ehemmm wrong part of the world.

Don't trade Gas but just commenting on an idea if I were to trade I'd buy gas rather than oil. If global economy is hit then if anything demand for oil likely to fall imo. Gas likely to have more upside.

Let's hope Ukraine (or whatever rump is left after the Soviets [ooops, Russian fraternal brothers] gobble up their fill) is not allowed to join NATO . I can't really blame the Russians for feeling a bit annoyed/threatened even when they see the Baltic states and Poland and others in NATO. The Russian psyche is understandably paranoid and no-one really wants what they view as a hostile military entity bang on their borders. We wouldn't, the Americans wouldn't.
In a sense there are advantages to what has happened. The European states will suddenly realise it's not a good idea to be so energy dependent on Russia, and develop other energy sources. Nor to be almost militarily defence-less. Long periods of peace make people complacent.

I am in total agreement sir. A honest to goodness all out proper war. None of this suicide jihad nonsense that a tank can't take aim at. If we introduce conscription but only for the over 50s we do two things (1) reduce the aging population problem and all their whining about pensions being eroded by low interest rates and (2) free up a number of jobs for young people, albeit primarily in consultancy, that are currently held by smug over 50s.

A third benefit of which I've only just considered is that a war with aged resource would run its course at a somewhat slower pace and the downsized defense and armament production capabilities more able to keep up with demand.

Here is an interesting letter from a man called David. An above average objective gentlemen imo. (y)

US Secretary of State John Kerry has criticised the Russian movement of troops into the Crimean region of Ukraine, as breaching international law.

Is he representing the same United States government that daily sends drones over Pakistan, against the will of Pakistan’s government, to kill Pakistan nationals with remotely fired missiles; that has had occupying troops in Afghanistan for over a decade; that had occupying troops in Iraq for a decade; that assisted France and the UK with military logistics to invade Libya to remove President Gadaffi’s regime; that still retains military bases in Germany and Japan 60 years after the end of the Second World War; and is covertly assisting opposition forces in Syria to depose its government?

I only ask.

Dr David Lowry, Stoneleigh, Surrey

And here is another! One has to ask what were the Europeans and yanks really thinking here? :idea:

The current agony in Ukraine highlights the incompetence of the EU’s “diplomacy”, and in particular the over-promoted Baroness Ashton and her absurd office.

The ludicrously premature entry of Bulgaria and Romania into the EU raised unwise and impossible expectations in western Ukraine. But to ignore the failures and corruption of Ukraine’s leadership since the Orange Revolution, the special status of Crimea and the mindsets of the ex-KGB rulers of Russia, and to expect Ukraine to move almost seamlessly out of the Russian sphere of influence and towards “Europe” overnight, without even any EU financial aid, displayed a worrying level of ignorance and naivety.

Sensible negotiations for gradually increasing ties with the EU should have kept Russian interests in the loop, including some benefits to Russia such as a renewed pledge that Ukraine would not join Nato, as we promised Gorbachev. But currently the strident rhetoric of the western democracies seems bent on exceeding even our Syrian own-goals, and as long as we follow the Blair/Brown policy of significant dependence on Russian oil and gas, Putin will reign supreme.

John Birkett, St Andrews, Fife

One hopes reason will prevail. :innocent:

Re the first letter,
The difference Attila, is very simple.
If we are doing it, it must by definition be right .
If they are doing it, it must by definition be wrong.
There's a great Dylan sing entitled, " With God on our Side" which says it all.
Richard

OK, OK. But apart from the Charge of the Light Brigade, Florence Nightingale and the Victoria Cross - what have the Crimeans ever done for us?

OK, OK. But apart from the Charge of the Light Brigade, Florence Nightingale and the Victoria Cross - what have the Crimeans ever done for us?

Perhaps Herr Steidelmayer, the question should be - what has the Crimea not done for us?

The answer being they haven't given us 40 million dead and untold numbers of wounded.:p

Let's hope Ukraine (or whatever rump is left after the Soviets [ooops, Russian fraternal brothers] gobble up their fill) is not allowed to join NATO . I can't really blame the Russians for feeling a bit annoyed/threatened even when they see the Baltic states and Poland and others in NATO. The Russian psyche is understandably paranoid and no-one really wants what they view as a hostile military entity bang on their borders. We wouldn't, the Americans wouldn't.
In a sense there are advantages to what has happened. The European states will suddenly realise it's not a good idea to be so energy dependent on Russia, and develop other energy sources. Nor to be almost militarily defence-less. Long periods of peace make people complacent.

I, very much, go along with your line of thinking. The West has, suddenly, taken the attitude that they can go into any country they wish, in the name of democracy, but I am not too sure of the new takeover in Kiev. They may be ok, but there are a lot of Russians in Ukraine who are, still, pro-Russian.

The best that we can do, IMO, is cool it. We are, by far, too meddlesome.

Your last paragraph, too, about energy dependency. We have to find something else. Too much oil is in the hands of too few and that is not a healthy situation.They say that necessity is the mother of invention so, we'd better get cracking.

let's get cracking by fracking

I'm not too sure about that, either. Frack where there is no danger fo population- Fracking offshore, on the Spanish coast, had to be abandoned because of tremors and, certainly, keep foreign interests out of what is a national matter.

I see what you've done here, Pieter!!! You ARE a breath of fresh air, yes, you are!

I am surprised, though, that you Germans have an appreciation for British classics!

I see what you've done here, Pieter!!! You ARE a breath of fresh air, yes, you are!

I am surprised, though, that you Germans have an appreciation for British classics!

No flies on you sir. They are much appreciated by my compatriots and my generation specifically.

Perhaps Herr Steidelmayer, the question should be - what has the Crimea not done for us?

The answer being they haven't given us 40 million dead and untold numbers of wounded.:p

Statistics for the wars are notoriously unreliable, but I believe a consensus exists at around 50-80 million in WWII and around 37 million in WWI. (Civilians and military including death through disease and starvation).

Then it occurred to me that perhaps you were just counting figures for your side.

Indeed, that's why I said "us" rather then the world.

Apart from which Germany was not responsible for all the deaths and suffering.

And no individual is responsible for the actions of their leaders or nations. It's just that people hold nations and "peoples" ( a meaningless term since we are all intermixed and all human ) responsible when as individuals they should only be held to account for their own personal actions.

There were many good Germans during the war, of course, though I can't help thinking the balance between good and bad Germans has reversed compared with the 30s and 40s.

If we get into the subject of fighting for your own country and being forced to follow orders as a soldier then this exchange of views will never end. Not to mention different perceptions and moral relativity.

One day we will leave the little windowless boxes we live in and understand that we are all human and leave exclusive nationality behind.