9/11 short sellers

Personally I declined on principle to short the market when it re-opened.
There were plenty of opportunities when it bounced.

out of intrest, anyone who made alot of money on 9/11. did you feel you should of donated that money to charity etc due to the way it was made. and did you?

I was working in a Bar that night - the mood was a mix of sobriety / "Drinks on me, and one for you mate". So yes, I did make more than I usually do in tips. No I'm not giving any of it back. Why?

(Not unless it is to contribute towards this 1mm GBP)

Personally I declined on principle to short the market when it re-opened.
There were plenty of opportunities when it bounced.
An interesting and somewhat understandable POV Richard. Although it wouldn’t have been an issue for everyone – for sure.

I was busy losing money on options in Railtrack at the time as I had then yet to discover the joys of losing money on the US markets, but if you had already been in anything to the short side, you wouldn’t necessarily have closed in principle would you?

I appreciate you’re a day trader and this occurred prior to US open so you probably weren’t or wouldn’t already be in any trades in any event, but you get my gist.

An interesting and somewhat understandable POV Richard. Although it wouldn’t have been an issue for everyone – for sure.

I was busy losing money on options in Railtrack at the time as I had then yet to discover the joys of losing money on the US markets, but if you had already been in anything to the short side, you wouldn’t necessarily have closed in principle would you?

I appreciate you’re a day trader and this occurred prior to US open so you probably weren’t or wouldn’t already be in any trades in any event, but you get my gist.

If I would have had any open shorts, Tony, I honestly don't know if I would have covered them once the market re-opened. I suspect I would have waited till the downward momentum seemed to die and covered in full or scaled out.
I just felt it would have been all wrong to profit from those deaths by doing something actually positive and shorting. I do realise it's a nice distinction.
I long ago gave up thinking about what was right or wrong on moral issues and have just followed my feelings.
Richard

If I would have had any open shorts, Tony, I honestly don't know if I would have covered them once the market re-opened. I suspect I would have waited till the downward momentum seemed to die and covered in full or scaled out.
I don't think any trader worth their salt would have reacted any differently. To do so would have gone against every atom of instilled discipline. Hard won discipline too in many (most?) cases.

I just felt it would have been all wrong to profit from those deaths by doing something actually positive and shorting. I do realise it's a nice distinction.
I genuinely don't believe I would have expended any effort in the analysis had I been in that position at that time.

What happens in the market is largely disassociated from real life events. If you had been trading without any TV/News/Squawk Box/Radio/Internet news feeds etc – you would have traded as you should have traded.

As over-arching as those events were – you, or anyone else trading the results of them on the markets, will have made no difference to those events, or the people involved – before, during or after.

Back in Black

acolbran, please trade the markets I trade, and trade them in size.

Thanks in advance.

Please be patient, as soon as I find out where I can get access to CFD tick data, either via a trading account which streams the information in clear or an FTP source, then we can play index...

Free Trade

You trade ticks?
Yes but Id rather not. Due to limitations in access to the an optimal data feed. A feasible solution is an alternate but proportional feed to enable longer term (2-30m) analysis and forecasting to facilitate longer trades in either direction.