The Journey from the Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlexAndrews

Thank you for your reply

I do not disagree with what you have posted and try to operate in the manner you ascribe to the TP, but I certainly do not think that I even approach the TP described by SOCRATES.

I was thinking more in terms of day/futures trading as opposed to the example you give which is a little more leisurely and forgiving.

My concern was that one might eventually be able to move into the TP successfully but unless one had very good trading skills the absence of the HP would leave one open to dangerous trades.

The point I was trying to make was that TP must not only must have the attributes that SOCRATES has mentioned but must also have the trading skills. Development of the TP without the skills to trade is of no use indeed it could be very expensive

Regards

bracke

Well,
my current response to this would be to exit if I saw a reversal down - let's imagine something like a Harami Cross appears at 516 - whilst if it gets to 520 as 'planned' and the candles are still climbing nicely I'd apply a tight stop underneath and let the trade continue. There is nothing magical about a target, it provides a probability zone, it is the candles/bars on the chart that advise you when the trade should exit... I would, personally, close half the trade at 520 and let the other half run with a tight stop.

That's 'sort of just TA' though, a tactic to use my current state of knowledge, where I know that target prices sometimes work out and quite often don't so my tactic has to be written to take account of this. Provided this is my tactic and I stick to it I am using my TP - whether that TP can be improved so that my tactics no longer have to account for a realtively inaccurate target calculation will be interesting. If at 520 I dither, because in reality I have not had much of a plan for what to do in the various possible outcomes, or becuase I decided to do as outlined but now I'm at 520 I'm having second thoughts, then I have allowed my HP to overcome my TP and I will probably mess it all up in the near future.

I would even argue that if your original plan included 'if crude goes up I'll raise the target by n per dollar the crude goes up' that you'd be sticking to your TP to continue the trade in the way that the HP description offered.

The TP is the mindset that enacts the tactic without emotion, but if you aren't very good at picking the target, the trade direction and such then you might find it difficult to actually succeed simply because although your TP is good at the mechanics, you just aren't very good at picking what to trade. Now I can't help feeling that this is the HP interfering in the analysis - your TP says ABC is going up, it is going up to 254, and the HP leaps in to say 'ah, but what about that over there, and isn't this candle a bit too long, and perhaps this old resistance level will limit the rise to....hang on, maybe it's a short!' Or some such rubbish.

I think the TP, or an analytical persona, also has to be cutlivated for that section of the puzzle - running the trade properly is important, but a correct mental attitude to trade selection backed by a sufficient fund of experience/knowledge is also required I would have thought.

Time to duck below the parapet again....
Dave

Socrates
May I suggest the inclusion of the words "of it" in the second last paragraph of your post
so that it reads
"It is not exactly a case of chicken and egg, but rather Chicken or Egg. The difficulty is that the HP to such an extent influences the average person that to cultivate a separate persona only for the purpose of trading by actually consciously building it in a way that the HP is unaware of it is not seen as necessary."

Last edited:
Gosh Bracke,
the same point I made (eventually) - I hadn't actually seen your post, I must have taken longer to draft mine than I thought! It's an important point I think, although I invariably post here wondering if Socrates is going to tell me I'm plumb wrong.... but if you select trades by rolling a die, 1-5 go short, 6 go long, then no TP in the world is going to avoid losing, although it might well take you longer to go broke.
As the psychology of the trader is generally considered the larger part of the trading problem (perhaps a rare occurrence of the general view being the correct one) I hope that Soc will enable me to improve the analytical side so I can get the most benefit from my TP efforts, I apply a TP during trading, but I suspect I'm unconsciously sturggling against my HP in analysis.
Dave

In summary perhaps - and I'm trying in turn after you Tony

Lets take an analogy with computers. We can have a hard drive partitioned/organised so that we can boot up to use one of two operating systems (OS). Lets say we call them TP and HP. These OS will run certain programs also resident on our hard drive. Some programs will run on either OS some only on one

The HP is an OS (reinforced and directed by the extent and direction of our life experiences) that will run only those programs containing overriding embedded code referring to protective and emotionally charged life preservation mechanisms.and no others(just about every program).

The TP is an OS that will only run the programs not containing embedded code referring to protective and emotionally charged life preservation mechanisms. Those appertaining to & designed for trading. The TP OS operates with them for trading and for no other purpose

So our "trading computer" must run the TP OS to allow us to access the trading methods we have and the knowledge we have acquired of how markets work & then to process it in an entirely objective and unemotional way with a very low energy use so that we can maximise our awareness, analytical skills and judgement abilities and to the total exclusion of any embedded code on life preservation for so long as is necessary to carry out the trades we wish to execute. The programs the HP OS operates just do not functionand and are not "seen" by the TP OS.

We must be able to run either of these mutually exclusive Operating systems at will and so must in computer speak become "dual boot"

So as Socrates has said "a methodology to trade has to be in place , "also a very comprehensive understanding of how markets work has to be in place" - "it is taken for granted that these two foundations are in place. In computer speak these two programs of methodology and market knowledge must be written, optimised and loaded for use only on the TP OS

It is when this is spelled out that one perhaps realises the magnitude of the task ahead

Socrates - is this an accurate analogy please?

ps - sorry it has taken me so long and so many attempts to organise my thoughts properly

Last edited:
DaveJB said:
Gosh Bracke,
the same point I made (eventually) - I hadn't actually seen your post, I must have taken longer to draft mine than I thought! It's an important point I think, although I invariably post here wondering if Socrates is going to tell me I'm plumb wrong.... but if you select trades by rolling a die, 1-5 go short, 6 go long, then no TP in the world is going to avoid losing, although it might well take you longer to go broke.
As the psychology of the trader is generally considered the larger part of the trading problem (perhaps a rare occurrence of the general view being the correct one) I hope that Soc will enable me to improve the analytical side so I can get the most benefit from my TP efforts, I apply a TP during trading, but I suspect I'm unconsciously sturggling against my HP in analysis.
Dave

Unless my trading skills are very good ( which they aren't ) I would not want TP to take over from HP. I need to be very confident that my trading skills are up to scratch before I let TP take over So unless and until HP can trade in a relatively competent manner TP will have to wait.

Regards

bracke

DaveBJ,

I don't think we are in disagreement. The scenario I outlined was premised on the fact that we were ABLE to perform TA successfully. What I was exploring was how the TP and HP might "apply" the [correct] TA in different ways.

Thinking about it, if you (one) can TA successfully and you are religious in applying it using your TP, I think the HP could develop some sort of trust of the TP. Hence, over time you would automatically use the TP for all aspects of trading?

Alex

I thought the idea was to do your analysis, however that might be, but when it comes to trading you must detach from HP.
TP is for trading only; to stop you getting emotionally involved with your decision. You have your entry, your method and hopefully an objective and a stop or exit level. The last thing you need is emotion. That's for the mugs. That's why the market moves.

of course, if you are analysing the market "live" then you should only be in your TP.

bracke said:
Unless my trading skills are very good ( which they aren't ) I would not want TP to take over from HP. I need to be very confident that my trading skills are up to scratch before I let TP take over So unless and until HP can trade in a relatively competent manner TP will have to wait.

Regards

bracke

Aren't you trying to square the circle here? If you trade successfully using your HP, the HP will not see the need to develop a TP and so you will not develop one. But the whole premise of this thread is that trading via the HP is flawed, so that route is ultimately doomed. I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe employ your nascent TP while developing TA?

Sox, help! :)

Alex

AlexAndrews said:
Aren't you trying to square the circle here? If you trade successfully using your HP, the HP will not see the need to develop a TP and so you will not develop one. But the whole premise of this thread is that trading via the HP is flawed, so that route is ultimately doomed. I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe employ your nascent TP while developing TA?

Sox, help! :)

Alex

Yes I probably am. My point was that I might be able to develop the detached, unemotional, cool, calm, collected, focussed TP but if he doesn't have the technical trading skills it will not work.

And the opposite is true. My trading skills may be excellent but if my personality gets in the way of using the skills properly it will stunt my success

Each of us may have some idea of our strengths and weaknesses in the trading arena. The readers of this thread who know theirs to be good skills but poor TP are in with a chance but those of us who have neither have a longer road to travel

Regards

bracke

The time is now 1735 and I am now free> I will proceed to deal with each post one by one.

TheBramble said:
So this persona, looking on from a detached perspective AT the person in front of the trading screen has no emotion, is fluid and immediate in their internal decision making and physical response (which is pre-instantaneous), cares not a jot about anything, is relaxed, calm and possesses complete clarity of thought, is totally uncaring of result or cause-effect, immune to distraction and comfortable and secure in the knowledge that comfort and secuirity are not its concern.

There is a term in cognitive psychology which covers this - dissociation (or disassociation if you're form over the pond).

This is a technique (or perhaps better phrased as a perspective) which is used to help people overcome phobias and trauma associated with significant emotional events in their lives.

It comes as no surprise that this approach would serve equally well in establishing a trading persona.

So, just to make sure we've got the checklist for the TP right:-

You observe yourself as an objective 3rd party looking at the physical you in front of the trading screen.

You 'operate' the physical you.

You have no emotion - no expectation of any specific outcome.

You are fluid and immediate in your internal decision making and physical response (which is pre-instantaneous)

You care not a jot about anything

You are relaxed, calm and possess complete clarity of thought

You are totally insouciant of result or any contrived cause-effect

You are immune to distraction and comfortable and secure in the knowledge that comfort and security are not your concern

With a tick against all these aspects in place, and an ability to hold these facets in place at will and for as long as is required (holding the attitude?) - what next?
This afternoon has been a very busy one and I apologise for interruptions owing to market action, which has been superb, and it is not over but it has been a very long day. Let me continue with this.

As I said earlier in reply to this post, what is described in the posts preceding this one above is purely a mechanical reponse, I may add, to what is mechanical input. This is perfectly alright and comes from the ability to read a chart and act accordingly to what is unfolding in real time. This is conventional text book trading.

Its constraints involve using a strict methodology to enter and monitor trades and without forgetting stop losses, and to execute exits not forgetting stop removal. Perfect. No problem with this , although even at this level many people find difficulty handling themselves, let alone what is laid in front of them.

Those who are disciplined and self governing succeed and those who are not fail. The batttle they face has nothing to do with unfolding events, but everything to do with themselves, how they view themselves at this, and how they handle themselves when they are in it.

What you discuss above involves qualities so far removed from what is conventional as to be practically alien, because in the first instance the individual has to have a complete and totally intimate grasp of what is a grand unified theorem of how it is that all of this fits together.

People are averse to doing the quantity and quality of work required to achieve this.

They will pretend to have the desire to do so, but, when faced with the cliff they have to climb that appears to disappear into cloud and has no apparent end, give up, because they do not perceive this to be necessary.

They abstractly convince themselves that it is not necessary and in consequence of this do not push the envelope: In consequence of not pushing the envelope they do not progress, as for them to push requires effort, that they pretend they are disposed to put in, but the reality is that they are not interested in effort, they are only interested in results. Results do not come to those who do not earn the right to have them.

What happens next, as I have said before, is that some shortcut is sought that will exonerate the aspirant from having to undergo what is percieved as an unnecessary, tedious, laborious, irrelevant, exhaustingly long odessey.

As there are lots of temptations that appear as glittering shortcuts that make the above look daft, they immediately stampede in favour of what they erroneously percieve to be a quick, painless, efficient, tailormade solutions to enable them to scoop up bucketfuls of money quickly. You know, "just like that !", as the late Tommy Cooper used to say.

Bang ! They run straight into ambush after ambush and get either severely wounded or killed. Now whose fault is that ? The bucket holders are going to protect their buckets. They are not willingly going to share the contents of their buckets with anyone just because there are lots of buckets around. The aspirants have to show and prove they are worthy of being admitted as equals in the bucket game. Anyone who is not up to it is given short shrift and worse.

However, those who remain within a mechanical methodology and are able to submit and work with it and use stops and not tank and act responsibly can and do succeed.

This brings me full circle to what you discuss in your post. Comfort and Security is what everyone seeks first and persists in seeking by trying to bend the system to give this. The system is not there to give the audience what it wants ~ it is there to give what the system wants. And the system gives what it wants and deems appropriate despite squeals and howls to which the "system" is impassive.

The system however, will allow a method to be applied to it, and, provided it is the correct method and in harmony with what is going on, only then is success within reach and then only when conditions allow,being the right conditions, that is.

If all of this is not recognised, no amount of forcing wil produce desired results. It is therfore a matter of awareness, and recognition of awareness. Sadly and unfortunately what happens is that all of us are the product of our own life experiences. I say this because the life experiences of many people are not necessarily their direct fault. Much of it is due to circumstances beyond their control. All the formative bits take place at an early age.

This is because as I have begun to explain elsewhere on this thread as a consequence of living life itself, we undergo a process of maturing. One of the effects of this is a process of this of course is the aquisition of experience. This is a two edged sword. I will explain why.
The HP, as a consequence of gaining experience undergoes a process. In this process there is a price to pay. The price is that the HP becomes more and more "armoured". It is able to recognise more and more variations of what it perceives to be a threat to life.
This is whether these threats are real or imagined, that is real or perceived.

In consequence of this, the defence mechanism develops very sophisticated early warning systems, alarms, protective responses, and all sorts of protocols most of which are booby trapped to prevent tampering and nearly all of them operating at a subconsious level.
This makes any approach to develop a TP difficult in a normally armoured HP, very difficult in a heavily armoured HP but easier in a more lightly armoured HP. The degree of armouring is also relevant to childhood. Children that are "shut down" at an early age by bullying or insensitive parents develop truly formidable armouring in adulthood.

It is this armouring that prevents the development of a TP alongside a HP which is heavily armoured, because as I have earlier discussed the HP views any attempt to create a TP as a threat to life, and therefore will do what it can to stop it by whatever means.Therefore, the mission is to create a TP "under the nose" of the HP without allowing the HP to realise what is going on ~ otherwise the HP will promptly stop all progress.

This is like escaping from a prison. A route has to be found that beats the intent of the warders, and of the construction and design of the prison itself to prevent escape. There is always a weak spot the determined escapee always finds a way. YOU have to do the same with this. You have to find a route that does not alert your HP as to what you are up to. You must choose areas in which to operate this plan in which your HP has no experience, no knowledge, no cognizance, no ability to recognise, and therefore unable to trigger off alarms and preventative measures.

The above is the mission because tho objective is the creation of the TP alongside the HP and independent of it, not dependent upon it as you describe. This process is called Bifurcation, whereas what you are talking about which is dissociation(or disassociation) is not the solution. Bifurcation is a choice executed at a junction whereas dissociation is a sort of motorbike and sidecar solution that is not efficient. This is because the HP is waiting to intervene and alert to any opportunity to jump in when the mode is in any way part of the HP.
This is negated when the TP is completely independent of the HP.

carict2.JPG

Couln't resist it! - seriously though it seems to me to be very difficult to identify the unarmoured areas. The booby traps and ambushes seem to be everywhere. Are they to be confused with inattention or the mind wandering? For example I sit down to concentrate on an unfolding chart and do well for a while and then lose focus. In many ways its easier to focus when money is at stake.What I then find is that complete focus is possible for a while but it is very tiring

Last edited:
Rognvald said:
In summary perhaps - and I'm trying in turn after you Tony

Lets take an analogy with computers. We can have a hard drive partitioned/organised so that we can boot up to use one of two operating systems (OS). Lets say we call them TP and HP. These OS will run certain programs also resident on our hard drive. Some programs will run on either OS some only on one

The HP is an OS (reinforced and directed by the extent and direction of our life experiences) that will run only those programs containing overriding embedded code referring to protective and emotionally charged life preservation mechanisms.and no others(just about every program).

The TP is an OS that will only run the programs not containing embedded code referring to protective and emotionally charged life preservation mechanisms. Those appertaining to & designed for trading. The TP OS operates with them for trading and for no other purpose

So our "trading computer" must run the TP OS to allow us to access the trading methods we have and the knowledge we have acquired of how markets work & then to process it in an entirely objective and unemotional way with a very low energy use so that we can maximise our awareness, analytical skills and judgement abilities and to the total exclusion of any embedded code on life preservation for so long as is necessary to carry out the trades we wish to execute. The programs the HP OS operates just do not functionand and are not "seen" by the TP OS.

We must be able to run either of these mutually exclusive Operating systems at will and so must in computer speak become "dual boot"

So as Socrates has said "a methodology to trade has to be in place , "also a very comprehensive understanding of how markets work has to be in place" - "it is taken for granted that these two foundations are in place. In computer speak these two programs of methodology and market knowledge must be written, optimised and loaded for use only on the TP OS

It is when this is spelled out that one perhaps realises the magnitude of the task ahead

Socrates - is this an accurate analogy please?

ps - sorry it has taken me so long and so many attempts to organise my thoughts properly
Yes spot on.

Liken it to escaping from a high security military prison camp. First a way to get out of the cell has to be found. Then a way out of the corridor. Then how to avoid the guards. Then how to climb the walls. How not to get entangled in the razor wire. How not to be spotted by the sentries in watch towers. How to avoid searchlights. How to get out.

How to avoid tripwires, electrified fences, sensors.

How to avoid patrols.

How to delay detection of absence for as long as possible. How to lay tracks to fool dogs in the event of pursuit, by laying false trails.

How to get camouflage, cover, food, drink, warmth, shelter,rest (layup) in addition.
Only then does Escape, Evasion and Survival really start.

Many aspire,
Who Dares Succeeds.

Socrates,

They abstractly convince themselves that it is not necessary and in consequence of this do not push the envelope: In consequence of not pushing the envelope they do not progress, as for them to push requires effort, that they pretend they are disposed to put in, but the reality is that they are not interested in effort, they are only interested in results. Results do not come to those who do not earn the right to have them.

This is hardly suprising in view of the fact that by its very nature trading will attract a large number of people who essentially want and expect to be able to get something for nothing or no effort.

Tony,

You are fluid and immediate in your internal decision making and physical response (which is pre-instantaneous)

How can you be pre-instantaneous as this implies that you have done something before you can have done it ?

Maybe this attached image will help give the analogy to those who wish to develop a TP and the issues faced by the HP in so doing.

Paul

Attachments

• pic01983.gif
    pic01983.gif
    124.3 KB · Views: 332
Paul this is an excellent illustration and one which I am sure Socrates will appreciate as much as we do

Trader333 said:
Socrates,

This is hardly suprising in view of the fact that by its very nature trading will attract a large number of people who essentially want and expect to be able to get something for nothing or no effort.

Tony,

How can you be pre-instantaneous as this implies that you have done something before you can have done it ?

Maybe this attached image will help give the analogy to those who wish to develop a TP and the issues faced by the HP in so doing.

Paul
Marvellous, isn't it ? Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Hi Socrates,

I would like to say that I am interested in your views regarding trading psychology.
However, I do have an issue with you.

Must all the analogies and descriptions be confrontational, and combative ?
( escaping and evading guards, being ambushed, and being wounded or killed ) ?

I find these descriptions quite distracting from what are very insightful ideas.

One of my ways of minimising emotions is to avoid combative interpreations of what I am doing.

Do I need to accept all these ways of thinking ?
Is it a part of becoming a better trader ?

Hello Trendie, I am just off to bed ~ it has been a long day.
All these analogies are made because this is not a game, in fact it is a very vicious war for profits, and what is worse, the rules of engagement are being changed all the time, rather like the game of Croquet in Lewis Carrol' s book, The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland. Therefore if it were not so serious, so grave, it would be lighthearted and funny. The art of combat is not to suffer casualties, or at least to minimise them as far as possible. No one in his right mind would enter a seething war zone out of choice, yet this is what people do all the time, believing that what they are entering is a game they can play without getting hurt if they ignore what it is they are in and the risks, because none of it is there for your benefit or mine. I regret that this may offend your sensibilities, but that is the brutal reality of it and to portray it otherwise would not do it justice, nor serve the best interest of aspirants. Kind Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.