Which is the best CFD broker out there?

I have used City Index in the past. Pros - Decent range of CFDs. Cons - The trading charges were too high. Plus, it was quote driven. If you are going to trade on a daily basis, you will need Direct Market access (DMA) to allow yourself get between the spread. I have used Etrade too in the past but now they are selling their UK Biz to TD waterhouse. I believe TD waterhouse also use City index for their CFDs. I use Renaissance Financial Markets (www.rfm.ie) now. Very low rates for CFDs, they offer the same platform as Etrade..When I was with Etrade they charged me £10 approx + a spread to trade indices like the Ftse. With Renaissance I now only pay a small spread on indices with no added commission.

Hi all,

For a limited period only Halifax Share Dealing is offering new CFD customers £200 to trade with. To qualify, customers need to open an account between 22 February and 9 April 2010 and place 10 standard CFD trades within 60 days of opening the account. For more details, terms and conditions, please visit http://tiny.cc/lSxvy

Volume is not available on the tick charts of the Halifax CFD platform although the usual indicators are available. The same is true for the Interactive Investor CFD which is just the Halifax CFD platform rebadged. I've limited experience of CFD trading having only tried the Halifax demo but I'm unwilling to trade live if volume information is not available. I'll try the IG Markets CFD demo account next to see it thats better.

I've just took MF global for a spin and I'm blown away, DMA / level 2 plus beginners will be pleased to know the minimum commision is only £10.

The great thing about them is they seem to list every stock I want to trade, whereas previously with halifax (cityindex) I've lost out on so many hot trades purely because they don't hold the stock.

Had a lot of problems with City Index platform. Crashed a LOT especially in peak times, slow to pick up orders and to sell out, cancelled orders reapeared as taken up after 2 or 3 mintus of disapearing off your active orders window! Basically lost a fair bit of money with them.
Great for beginers and easy to use but prone to problems.
Been looking around for another and tossing up between IG and CMC. CMC have introduced new platform and looks very good with 24 hour support and good spreads.
Both offer demp accounts for free so try before you buy.
Personally would not recommend City Index

Had a lot of problems with City Index platform. Crashed a LOT especially in peak times, slow to pick up orders and to sell out, cancelled orders reapeared as taken up after 2 or 3 mintus of disapearing off your active orders window! Basically lost a fair bit of money with them.
Great for beginers and easy to use but prone to problems.
Been looking around for another and tossing up between IG and CMC. CMC have introduced new platform and looks very good with 24 hour support and good spreads.
Both offer demp accounts for free so try before you buy.
Personally would not recommend City Index
If that happened to me I would move away instantly. Looks like you been on referral to a dealer, I have not heard about such a case on this forum. Cityindex have their well known platform flaws, otherwise after a week of trading live with them I am quite pleased.

I have sold out of all my positive positions with them an only hold some that are negative. I will certainly never trade with them again, and gave them 6 months. But the consistant problems an slow pips just got too much. The last straw was the platfrom crashing at the start of Euro zone markets opening for 2 days on the trot and the phone lines being jammed with complaints (this was last week) so I couldnt get through.
Hope you have better luckthan me

Last edited:
Liking the Traders Own Markets CFD service, great for nicking a bit here and there when trading indices. Same as CMC Markets basically, but you earn a free share in Traders Own Plc with every trade. No brainer.

Hi guys, new to the site....looking for a DMA CFD broker, any suggestions???

FP Markets offers both DMA CFDs and DMA Spread Betting

DMA CFDs AND spread bet? Interesting....how is it possible to offer DMA spread betting though, and why don't any other providers offer it also?

not many DMA CFD providers out there especially now that MF have gone under so will definitely check out your website! is it true you can participate in the day closing auction? and what exchanges do you offer and how many equities?

Thanks

look at this thread

CFD Broker with 1 PIP Spread EUR/USD

Hi Als,

Thanks for reccomending the thread! from what i can see though not any of the providers mentioned are DMA? Been told that if i can find one, I should definitely stick to a DMA provider as many benfits over market makers, whats your opinion?

Thanks

DMA CFDs AND spread bet? Interesting....how is it possible to offer DMA spread betting though, and why don't any other providers offer it also?

not many DMA CFD providers out there especially now that MF have gone under so will definitely check out your website! is it true you can participate in the day closing auction? and what exchanges do you offer and how many equities?

Thanks
Hi DJS1

DMA Spread Betting is no different from DMA CFDs. The main reason that it is not offered by many brokers is because with HMRC, 3% of net client losses have to be paid by the provider , but the problem is that they do not make this from client losses like market makers do. We have created a system where profitable trades are not resposible for this 3% betting duty, so best of both worlds (No capital gains tax and direct pricing), and lossing clients have to pay a small bet charge of 1.8% of the clients losses, which is calculated over each quarter.

Yes we allow are clients to participate in both the opening and closing auctions where sometimes a third of the days volumes are done. We offer most major markets LSE,ETR,NYS,NAS,HKE,SGX,ASX,SFE,LIF,ERX,CME. We can also map in other exchanges if there is enough popularity. To give an example of how many we have on each exchange, we offer 1291 equities on the LSE.

Hope this helps
Alex

Hi Als,

Thanks for reccomending the thread! from what i can see though not any of the providers mentioned are DMA? Been told that if i can find one, I should definitely stick to a DMA provider as many benfits over market makers, whats your opinion?

Thanks

depends on what you trade

you like dow 1pip spread and 6 euro commission regardless of the position size?

i do

to my mind those two brokers i mention in recommended thread are the best

(not for forex scalping though)

try demos and run independent ticker side by side and you'll get the picture

as for dma..........ask straight question broker's client support

regards...

Last edited: