Watch fans

What's your favourite brand of watch - and why?

• Breitling

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • IWC

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Lacroix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Omega

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Patek Philippe

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Panerai

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Rolex

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Rotary

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other - Please state in the thread

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
I havn't heard about ''new' pocket watches but I would imagine a revival of that style might prove quite popular - any pics?

the attached are just 2 of the new era of pocket watches by Charles Hubert. Not a great name, and these retail for only about 100gbp each so obvioulsy not at the top end. I just seem to have vague recollection that some of the prestigious Swiss houses were playing around with this format, but I don't have any other info. Anyone help ?

Attachments

• charles hubert 1.gif
    charles hubert 1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 625
  • charles hubert 2.gif
    charles hubert 2.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 618
some more "modern" Charles Hubert pocket watches. I'd love to find a top name house producing something like these'

Attachments

• charles hubert 3.gif
    charles hubert 3.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 625
  • charles hubert 4.gif
    charles hubert 4.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 631
  • charles hubert 5.gif
    charles hubert 5.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 632
Matt, i've got an Omega Seamaster (not the JB special) for daily use, a (slightly flashier) gold Raymond Weil Tango for wearing with a DJ, a Sector Golden Eagle 500 Pro for diving and a crappy little Fila for squash, golf etc.
But apart from the Weil on the odd black tie occasion, I haven't worn a watch since the baby was born in Jan - too afraid of scratching her with the watch or strap.

Next target is a Patek P, but BSD has been tormenting me with some of his snaps of IWC etc. let's see how quickly Gold can get to $1,000 then I'll know when and what I can afford :LOL:

I know some critics would question the point of having even one watch nowadays, let alone several, but I think a watch fan would understand ?

Garry

You sound like a man after my own heart :)

I actually only have two right now - the Sub and a cheapo £5 jobbie that I use when there's a chance of it getting knocked about - but some of the folk on another forum that I frequent - rolexforums.com - one of the guys there must have about 200 rolexes; not sure I can see the sense in that, but the display is mindblowing. Tried finding the pic just now but can't.

yes but I'd look daft wandering around with one of those cases strapped to my wrist :)

LOL !

grinning-smiley-026.gif

Here's another case per special delivery:

standard

:)

This here is a pretty great partnership I'd say, Breitling for Bentley:

20070518113449.jpg

middle-7-53.jpg

bentley_continental_gtc_08909_0004_02_08_02.jpg

standard

51GTPAA1WEL._AA280_.jpg

Nice pocket watches there Garry :)

This is rapidly turning into my favourite thread .....

Yup, these threads are fun, boys toys :D

Re the little detail of financing them, wasn't there some story awhile back where somebody traded his way from sthg like a can opener up to a house via the web, think it was in Canada ?!?

Amazing story that...

sport-smiley-009.gif

found those previously mentioned pictures of this guy's huge rolex collection.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 268
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 269
Lange & Söhne
590310-720653.jpg

datograph.jpg

wow ! I wonder what his insurance valuations and premium are ?

I have to admit though, I'm not the biggest fan of Rolex, daft as it sounds, they're almost TOO common :!:
I'd rather have (dream on sonny boy) a collection of Pateks, IWC, Maurice Lacroix etc etc or something like the L&S pictured

still, wouldn't say 'no' to a Rolex if he was bandying them about :D

Last edited:
My 45 year old Rolex Oyster (understated steel type) is still clamped around my wrist and has been for all those years. Less accurate than a £5 jobbie from the local garage and costs me a small fortune to get serviced every ten years or so - but it'd be like losing my right arm if it wasn't there.

Just an update - I pulled the winder out of the damn thing. £200 for the repair :eek:

jon

Very nice, simple & elegant

Hi All

Just found this thread, havent read it all yet but I will. I have had a few watches, my favourite till now was Rolex Oyster & Tudor....The Tudor was my Favourite as it was a mid - size with a deep blue dial, very neat & smart watch.

I have recently Bought one of these, not many people would have heard of them.They are very nice & Elegant, very simple in design ...which is nice these days as most watches are very Blingy...with dials & stuff on the face which I just dont want.

Harold Pinchbeck - Christopher

http://www.haroldpinchbeck.co.uk

Very nice Watch,

I have gone off the Big Swiss off the shelf names, as I have found that many off them, though still charging stupidly high prices....have some parts & manufacture done in the Far east....amazing what you find out when you know someone
Jay

How cool. You could order one then drive to the shop to collect it. :)

I like the idea. It's like buying a new TVR (no "unreliable" remarks, please).

Good stuff, guys and gals :p

Mr Pitt sporting a Yachtmaster:

bradd.jpg

DSC03141.jpg

El Presidente Johnson sporting a Day-Date, not a good advertisement considering his Vietnam forays but that's another story:

johnson.jpg

1zb7yi8.jpg

1zb7zi0.jpg

1zb802v.jpg

Our expatriated Exile needs some more stimuli :D

Here goes, Breguet...

breguet_ref5327.jpg

breguet2003.jpg

C17606-G.jpg

Breguet_Marine%20Chronograph(1).jpg

I like watches, but not so keen on the big diver watch styles - for anything I did needing that kind of capability I'd wear a cheap waterproof digital! Like someone else posted, I've seen too many Rolexes get smashed up or go over the side on a racing yacht to want mine to go the same way.

I wear an Oris Big Crown Pointer for everyday - smart but not expensive enough to worry about and an IWC Portuguese for best.

Attachments

• Oris.jpg
    Oris.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IWC.jpg
    IWC.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 321