Watch fans

What's your favourite brand of watch - and why?

• Breitling

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • IWC

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Lacroix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Omega

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Patek Philippe

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Panerai

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Rolex

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Rotary

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other - Please state in the thread

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
The problem with buying fakes is that you too will be judged a fake when people find out.

Only IF they find out. And who cares what name it has on it - a nice looking watch is a nice looking watch - fake or genuine - IMO.

We're a bit off topic but never mind.

Take a look at these two pics and see if you can guess which is which :LOL:

On 2nd thoughts, the one on the right looks like the genuine ferrari. Reason being, the Ferrari red paintwork, and the alloys look higher spec. :confused: :?:

The right one is so fake that it's painful. The proportions are all WRONG! It's like a clinically obese woman in a g-string bikini.

It looks too narrow and the nose is too short. It looks awkward. It doesn't look like it was designed by someone who knows about design. (I am sure the fit and finish is perfect but that is irrelevant. It is probably the more reliable and cheaper to run of the two. That is also irrelevant.)

first off, it's the paint. The mickey mouse one looks more orange than red. Then there's the teeny, nasty looking wheels that look like they belong on a pram. Then there's the overall length; it looks like a 355 that's been shortened by about two feet. Not to mention to length of the bodywork in front of the headlights ... shall I go on?

Some years ago I had a 355 as a 'company car' for a couple of weeks (I used to sell sports cars). I took it all over the place, did about 1500 miles in it during that time. One of the most memorable bits was hooning it through the Dartford tunnel in second gear; the noise of that V8 bouncing off the tunnel walls still makes my hair stand up on end today. Happy days!

EDIT: I'm a bit of a Fezza fan - hence the name - 'rossored' (as in 'rosso corsa', Ferrari's name for that color).

The car example rather neatly summarises the fake v real argument.

Do you drive a Ferrari because it's cool to be seen in one, and people will think you're rich, famous and successful?

Or do you drive a Ferrari because it is the most amazing driving sensation, and when you put your foot down the visceral thrill of being pushed back in your seat as the engine note howls behind your head makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. And you'd prefer your Ferrari in blue, because the red ones stand out a bit too much.

IMO, the second one is perfectly valid (and can only be justified by 'real' Fezza owners), the first (all fakes, and to be fair, a few 'real') marks you out as a bit of a ******.

EDIT - just seen Rossored's post - clearly he's in the second camp, good man!

Only IF they find out. And who cares what name it has on it - a nice looking watch is a nice looking watch - fake or genuine - IMO.

I've seen some pretty good fakes but they come at a price and in my opinion a fake will always be just that . There are plenty genuine reasonably priced watches that are good products - Seiko for example. I recently bought a Seiko sport watch with steel bracelet and spare fabric strap comple with zipper pouch for £120.

Attachments

• seiko..JPG
    seiko..JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 301
It's a bit trickier with watches... if you put a real and a fake side by side, then it's possible to tell that one isn't right because of the detail. If on the other hand you have a fake on its own and it feels like a quality instrument and has what you expect on a quality watch (eg 3 dials, rotating bezel, solid body) it would be considered genuine to all but the experts and owners. I've looked at so many genuine watches as I get periodic moments of wanting a quality watch and still can't tell the difference.

I've seen some pretty good fakes but they come at a price and in my opinion a fake will always be just that . There are plenty genuine reasonably priced watches that are good products - Seiko for example. I recently bought a Seiko sport watch with steel bracelet and spare fabric strap comple with zipper pouch for £120.

For me, this is a case in point. If the dial said Omega and had the appropriate logo etc, I would have thought it was an Omega. The plain metal 5 minute marked dial reminds me of an Omega I nearly bought a while ago.

Nice Seiko, btw.

seiko are a very good make.

I found one on a mountain 12 years ago, and although it has required 2-3 fairly expensive batteries in the mean-time, and it needed a new strap from the start, it works perfectly.

It's a bit trickier with watches... if you put a real and a fake side by side, then it's possible to tell that one isn't right because of the detail. If on the other hand you have a fake on its own and it feels like a quality instrument and has what you expect on a quality watch (eg 3 dials, rotating bezel, solid body) it would be considered genuine to all but the experts and owners. I've looked at so many genuine watches as I get periodic moments of wanting a quality watch and still can't tell the difference.

Exactly!

Cartier...

Ballon Bleue:

CARTIER_BallonBleu_GG_Kl_07.jpg

Patek Philippe 5159:

PP_Perpkal5159_F07.jpg

IWC Da Vinci:

IWC_DaVinci_Chrono_F07.jpg

They've certainly given the Da Vinci a good old workover, this is what it used to look like before it's facelift:

325%20080a.jpg

I selected ‘other’ although I am not sure if I am being strictly on topic. I prefer digital watches and Casio has been the brand of choice for many, many years. I like accurate, and just as important, precision of time, in 24hr format. Although digital watches can gain and/or lose a few seconds in a week, I like to know that the time is 14:30:00 rather than “Half past two in the afternoon”. I should say that I am obsessed with accurate time. I only keep radio controlled digital clocks in my house with the exception of my radio/alarm clock. The last one I had was Radio controlled but it died and I wanted to replace it with one that could play CD’s and also MP3’s from an SD card. I couldn’t find one. I had to compromise with a DAB radio because at least it updates its clock from the DAB signal, although I am disappointed with the accuracy. It is out by about 25 seconds from the radio controlled clocks.