Watch fans

What's your favourite brand of watch - and why?

• Breitling

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • IWC

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Lacroix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Omega

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Patek Philippe

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Panerai

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Rolex

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Rotary

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other - Please state in the thread

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
I do admire a quality watch but with my activities (martial arts, climbing, skating) I would destroy one so I either stick to a mobile phone or my Casio solar sports watch (£30 in the sales).

When I go to lunches and dinners, I do notice a prevalence of nice looking watches on the wrists of those at my table so I feel like a bit of a pauper (even though I'm far from it). Maybe I should get a fake watch just to fit in. :devilish:

I do admire a quality watch but with my activities (martial arts, climbing, skating) I would destroy one so I either stick to a mobile phone or my Casio solar sports watch (£30 in the sales).

When I go to lunches and dinners, I do notice a prevalence of nice looking watches on the wrists of those at my table so I feel like a bit of a pauper (even though I'm far from it). Maybe I should get a fake watch just to fit in. :devilish:

You mean you do martial arts on your fellow diners?:)

What ever it takes to get a free lunch...

So who fancies meeting up for lunch next week? :cheesy:

i looked at a few fake rollys out of interest before buying my current piece and realised that I'd always feel an idiot if/when i met someone who had the real thing and I had a lousy fake. The fake rolexes are easy to spot a mile off if you know what you're looking for. The giveaway of those two seamasters for me was the same as the modern Rolexes - they can't get the crown guards quite right.

fake

not fake

i looked at a few fake rollys out of interest before buying my current piece and realised that I'd always feel an idiot if/when i met someone who had the real thing

little doubt I'm in a minority of one, but I'd feel an idiot in a real Rolex. It's probably just me that cringes, then strangely feels better about myself afterwards, after wasting 5 minutes of my life each month on Trader monthly. It always reminds me of why I like Laptop's signature so much.:rolleyes:

UTB

I think laptop's signature is probably aimed at Paris Hilton type vulgar excesses rather than a simple appreciation for a nice watch...

Last edited:
that's a fair comment, UTB; they're not everyone's cup of tea.

To me, owning a fake would be the same as having a paper trading account and acting like it's real - i.e. worthless.

I think laptop's signature is probably aimed at Paris Hilton type vulgar excesses rather than a simple appreciation for a nice watch...

aye, the vulgerness of Trader monthly reminds me of Laptop's signature, not owning nice watch:LOL: .

Matt - Nothing wrong with 'em it's just lost on me. After all, I'm just a tight yorkshire bar steward.;)

UTB

PS - why aren't Sekonda in the poll?

I'd much rather have a good quality, realistic, and affordable replica rolex/omega watch for up to £50, than pay the extra 5000% for the real thing.
The reason being, the genuine articles have been devalued IMO due to the replica market.

Its just like YSL, ralph lauren, armani etc. designer shirts. 12 years ago, they were all the rage. 9-10 years ago, they had become tacky due to the flooding of the market with replicas, and even if yours was a genuine one, nobody gave these a higher regard in social vlaue, due to the fact that you could get fakes for £10, and for all they knew, your may be a fake.

Look at range rovers now. 3 years ago the new range rovers looked the dogs b**locks. Now, every tom dicvk & harry seems to own one. As a result, do they havbe the same level of prestige?

I'd much rather have a good quality, realistic, and affordable replica rolex/omega watch for up to £50

OK, let's see you go and buy a quality, realistic replica for £50. I'll put it next to mine and we can compare the differences? :cheesy:

The genuine articles have not been devalued at all though, JT. There's still a substantial waiting list for most Rolexes, particularly the Submariner Date, more so seriously expensive items like the Daytonas - and they sell at retail price all day long. Even a few years old they still fetch very close to new money, due to the waiting list. Historic Submariners (i.e 1960's) fetch more than new list now.

Still, each to their own. A guy down my road has got one of those fake Ferrari 355s that's just an MR2 underneath. Personally I think it looks like a joke when he drives past and when my friend's real 355 was on my driveway a week or so ago he couldn't stop looking; having a fake doesn't detract from wanting the real thing - not in his case, anyway.

It does mean the on the second hand market (as opposed to the minute hand?), there are some bargains to be had for those who appreciate the watch for what it is rather than a symbol.

As for RRs, in the 90s when the Chelsea set drove them only to get between their Chelsea home and the country farm and to get to gymkanas, then it made sense. Now it is as you say.

I enclose a picture for reference.

gymkana.jpg

Still, each to their own. A guy down my road has got one of those fake Ferrari 355s that's just an MR2 underneath. Personally I think it looks like a joke when he drives past and when my friend's real 355 was on my driveway a week or so ago he couldn't stop looking; having a fake doesn't detract from wanting the real thing - not in his case, anyway.

Those fake 355s are so bad, even the uninitiated can tell something is wrong.

Someone I know pulled up at the lights in London next to a 355 MR2, the driver of course thinking he was the best in the world. Unfortunately for this driver, the person who pulled up beside him was in a real 355. A few revs of the engine proved what was what. The guy in the MR2 sank low into his seat and wished a hole would swallow him up.

There is nothing, of course, wrong with an MR2 when left as the maker had intended. Have owned one myself. Would never put a 355 kit on it.

:LOL:
i didn't realise you could get fake cars. That also devalues the MR2 - which in itself is a good car.

On the subject of wealth envy......My car broke down and had to be toed away 2 years back. I remember the AA man telling me about this call-out from the week before. A £100+k lamborghini had had all 4 tyres slashed, for no reason whatso-ever :rolleyes:.

:LOL:
i didn't realise you could get fake cars. That also devalues the MR2 - which in itself is a good car.

We're a bit off topic but never mind.

Take a look at these two pics and see if you can guess which is which :LOL:

Attachments

• c4e4_1.JPG
    c4e4_1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 6471_12.JPG
    6471_12.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 185
We're a bit off topic but never mind.

Take a look at these two pics and see if you can guess which is which :LOL:

For some slight reason, the one on the right seems to say fake. I suppose the difference may well become obvious through the sound difference when the engine turns over :p :!: