T2W Forex Contest - Week 8

Thanks Jason, I was about to respond myself but you beat me to it. Not a lot to add, just wanted to let everyone know we've got a bunch of usability updates in mind to make it simpler for traders to see their currently used margin and to be warned when a margin call is imminent and actioned.

Looks like an exciting end to the contest with JahDave and Oppi only dollars apart in the final few hours.

Check out this chart, showing this week's current Top 10 traders:

contest.jpg

You'll see Oppi (dark red) had an incredible day today while JahDave (dark blue) performed impressively throughout the week. Also worthy of mention, Gordon Gekko (green) in 3rd place and in close pursuit.

As we approach the market close at 6pm ET, 11pm BST you can view the current leaderboard here:
https://www.forexdesk.com/browse/accounts?direction=desc&search=#8&sort=profit_and_loss

Last edited:
Thanks Jason, I was about to respond myself but you beat me to it. Not a lot to add, just wanted to let everyone know we've got a bunch of usability updates in mind to make it simpler for traders to see their currently used margin and to be warned when a margin call is imminent and actioned.

Looks like an exciting end to the contest with JahDave and Oppi only dollars apart in the final few hours.

Check out this chart, showing this week's current Top 10 traders:

View attachment 118240

You'll see Oppi (dark red) had an incredible day today while JahDave (dark blue) performed impressively throughout the week. Also worthy of mention, Gordon Gekko (green) in 3rd place and in close pursuit.

As we approach the market close at 6pm ET, 11pm BST you can view the current leaderboard here:
https://www.forexdesk.com/browse/accounts?direction=desc&search=#8&sort=profit_and_loss

:cheesy: , btw very nice site. I"ve been meaning to poke around ForexDesk.

Congratulations Oppi. Great trading...

Thanks, JahDave! Much appreciated...

Congratulations to you as well. Your trading has been very consistent and ultimately this is what matters...;)

I also have to admit that I might have been quite lucky...My "views" on the US unemployment rate did pay out. I can't explain it properly but there are moments that I have some "hunches" about some figures and the reactions of the markets. They are that kind of "hunches" that Livermore describes in his book...I knew that pretty much any good news were already discounted in the market. I could also see that at that moment the EUR/USD was ranging around 1.4240 and that maybe that "support" would hold. I could see a double deep forming as well. So, I thought that any good news would not be a shock. However, any bad news would be mostly appreciated by the markets...So I decided to go long on Eur/USD minutes before the release of the news..

The news actually confirmed my "hunch" but I could see EUR/USD plunging. I went mad to be honest...:mad::mad:But I knew it would revert sooner or later and I was right.... Afterwards I went short which again paid out. I used support and resistance levels for my next trades. As I am using support and resistance levels a lot, I have to admit that today they worked perfectly fine...To the extend that I could not believe it...:cheesy::cheesy:

Anyway, it has been a very challenging contest...Well done to anybody involved. Well done to Gordon Gekko as well. These are the kind of contests that everybody should expect from T2W.(y)(y)

P.S. Based on your profile picture, I think we can be great buddies!!! I love dogs as well!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)

Evangelos

Hi Oppi,

I am FXCM's representative on the Trade2Win forums, and I would venture to guess this is more a misunderstanding of how the margin call occurs. The margin requirement for each 100k lot on EUR/USD is about $5,688. You can find the total margin requirement listed in the stats section of the ForexDesk account. If you had 9 trades open, that would indicate a total margin requirement of $51,192 to keep positions open. If your account equity drops to that level ($51,192), you get a margin call. Subtracting the account equity you mentioned of about $54,000 from the margin requirement of $51,192 gives you about $2,808 in usable margin to guard against losses. If you accumulate losses of $2,808 or more on those 9 open positions, a margin call will close all positions. You can also watch the Usable Margin % calculation in forex desk. If that figure drops to 0, a margin call will occur.

Getting back to the 9 positions you had open....trading a total of 9 positions means that each pip is worth $90. If you divide your usable margin of $2,808 by a pip value of $90, that means the market only has to move against you by 32 pips for you to get a margin call. That's not a very large market move.

Even just now I noticed your usable margin % drop to 3% before you closed out your 4 lot EUR/USD position. According to my rough calculation, the market would have only had to move against your 12 open positions by about 20 pips for a margin call to occur.

Please feel free to let me know if anything is unclear about FXCM's margin call procedure. I would be happy to help.

Jason

Hi Jason!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. It is mostly appreciated and this DOES indicate that the customer service of FXCM has hight standards!(y)

I went through my trades and I think (I may be wrong as well) that my point was correct. As you can see from my performance (Sharky attached a table of the performance of all traders), the moment that I received the margin call (and my position was stopped out automatically and not by me) my total equity was around 52,000 (maybe around 51,800)and not close to 51,192..As you indicated my total available margin was around 3%...

Apart from this trade, I had the same experience today. Please take the time to go through my trades today. At 12:49 I closed all my short positions on the EUR/USD and my total equity at that moment was around 61,500. Then at 12:54 I opened two long trades on the EUR/USD (one with 5lots and one with 4 lots), so my total position was 9 lots. At 13:11 I opened another long position of 1 lot, so my total position was 10 lots. So the margin required was 56, 000 and my equity was more or less the same (around 61,500). The news came and the EUR/USD plunged immediately. It went down to 1.4210 and at 1.4218 I received a margin call for my position of 5 lots (at 13:31). My equity was sufficient enough to cover that position (around 59,000 or 58,000 the worst at the lowest levels). As I expected the EUR/USD pair to go up and as I wanted the position, I went again long with 4 (and not 5 as I wanted) lots at 13:34.However the price was significantly greater (1.42733)... This resulted in losses in my first trade and less profits on the other trade.Later on, I closed all my long positions at about 1.4315. Please take the time to go through my trades...

Please,correct me if I am wrong... I would be very happy to be wrong...:cheesy::cheesy:

I await for your reply!

P.S.: It was a pleasure talking to you, Jason(y)

Evangelos

Nice trading Oppi! I was neck & neck with JahDave after the NFP figures came out Friday pm but he managed to sneak ahead - I thought to myself "this guy is good!".

Congratulations to Oppi1904 who wins the prize of a Sony CMTBX77DBI Mini Hi-Fi. He came very late to the leaderboard and finished with an impressive profit of $25,311.00 on a starting balance of $50,000.00
Check out how he did it.

Commiserations to JahDave, Gordon Gekko and andycon (2nd, 3rd and 4th places) who were nip and tuck near the top of the leaderboard for much of the trading week!

The full results from this week's contest are as follows:

Week 8 - Day 6.jpg

The new Week 9 (and week 10 also ;)) contest kicks off on (Sunday) at 6pm ET, 11pm BST. We'll be announcing a really cool prize shortly. (Yes it will be a 2 week contest this time, and the prize will reflect this)

To participate in next week's contest, head over now to the ForexDesk Sign Up page, use the invite code: "T2WCOMP" and register with the same username you use on T2W. Once you're logged in create a new practice account, making sure you add "#9/10" to the name. Now you're all set for the start of tomorrow night's contest.

PS. Remember to add "#9/10" to the name for the new contest.(y)

Last edited:
BTW, we notice the issue you mentioned Oppi, and we'll get the tech guys to look into it to check over the trades to see if anything might be off. Thanks.

Announcing some exciting updates to ForexDesk:

- Support added for FXCM's FX Trading Station.. you can now link a demo account (currently UK only) to a ForexDesk account and trade in realtime on a professional trading platform (yes, that means scalpers can finally participate in the contest!). Please be aware this feature is in beta and there may be bugs, if you find one, then please report it! We'll publish a set-up guide shortly.

How's that set up guide doing ? Or did I miss it ;)

Hi Jason!

Apart from this trade, I had the same experience today. Please take the time to go through my trades today. At 12:49 I closed all my short positions on the EUR/USD and my total equity at that moment was around 61,500. Then at 12:54 I opened two long trades on the EUR/USD (one with 5lots and one with 4 lots), so my total position was 9 lots. At 13:11 I opened another long position of 1 lot, so my total position was 10 lots. So the margin required was 56, 000 and my equity was more or less the same (around 61,500). The news came and the EUR/USD plunged immediately. It went down to 1.4210 and at 1.4218 I received a margin call for my position of 5 lots (at 13:31). My equity was sufficient enough to cover that position (around 59,000 or 58,000 the worst at the lowest levels). As I expected the EUR/USD pair to go up and as I wanted the position, I went again long with 4 (and not 5 as I wanted) lots at 13:34.However the price was significantly greater (1.42733)... This resulted in losses in my first trade and less profits on the other trade.Later on, I closed all my long positions at about 1.4315. Please take the time to go through my trades...

Please,correct me if I am wrong... I would be very happy to be wrong...:cheesy::cheesy:

I await for your reply!

Evangelos

Hi Evangelos,

I'm a developer working on forexdesk, and I'll try to clarify what went on with your last margin call. Sorry for the delay on the reply, but hopefully it is detailed enough that it answers all the questions you might still have.

So, I went through all of your trades, and here is a slightly more detailed step by step on each of them:

- at 12:49:39, you closed your last position: your balance was exactly $ 60,494.00
- at 12:54:24, you opened a long position on EURUSD with 5 lots at best. it filled at 1.42488
- at 12:54:58, you opened another long position EURUSD with 4 lots: filled at 1.42498
- at 13:11:38, you opened another long position EURUSD with 1 lot: filled at 1.42459

Then, at 13:31:51 the EURUSD rate hit 1.42095/1.42124. That's when the platform margin called you.

To understand the required margin, lets make the calculations:

(5 + 4 + 1) = 10 lots * ((1.42095 + 1.422124) / 2) * 100k (size) / 25 (leverage) = $56,861.48 required margin

Now, remember the margin call is not run against your balance, its run against your equity, which is your balance + your profit / loss. So lets go through your positions's losses on the moment of the margin call:

first position loss = 1.42488 - 1.42095 = 39.3 pips * 5 lot = $1,965 loss
second position loss = 1.42498 - 1.42095 = 40.3 pips * 4 lot = $1,612 loss
third position loss = 1.42457 - 142095 = 36.2 pips * 1 lot = $ 362 loss

With that in mind, this is how one calculates your account's equity at the moment of the margin call:

$60,494 (balance) - $1,965 - $1,612 - $362 = $56,555 equity

Therefore, at the moment you were margin called you indeed had your equity inferior to your required margin, triggering the margin call to lower your margin so your equity would be back above your current margin requirements.

In any case, I'm glad even that didn't prevent you from winning the competition, I suppose trading close to the edge has these risks. Enjoy your prize. :)

Cheers,
Marcos

Hi Marcos,

I wonder whether you can help me with my MT4 integration to ForexDesk.

I'm trying to login to MetaTrader having followed the instructions and I get no connection.

Login name: Atilla
Pwd: Mypwd
Server: ??? what do I put here??? I have metaquotes-demo at the moment.

Many thanks in anticipation...

Mikey

Attachments

• MT4_login.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 337
Hi Marcos,

I wonder whether you can help me with my MT4 integration to ForexDesk.

Hey Atilla, how's it going?

You shouldn't need to enter login/pswd credentials to use your account with MT4. Instead, you should install forexdesk's expert advisor.

You can find info on how to do it on your account page, by clicking on the 'Trade' tab and then checking the information on the sidebar: http://support.forexdesk.com/knowledgebase/articles/10975-setting-up-metatrader-4-integration

You can find the FXSystemID and FXPassword on that same sidebar as well.

If you're still having issues, the best way to get prompt/helpful responses is to contact the support team through http://support.forexdesk.com/ - there they'll have timely and detailed info on helping you through your issues.

Cheers,
Marcos

.....Apart from this trade, I had the same experience today. Please take the time to go through my trades today. At 12:49 I closed all my short positions on the EUR/USD and my total equity at that moment was around 61,500. Then at 12:54 I opened two long trades on the EUR/USD (one with 5lots and one with 4 lots), so my total position was 9 lots. At 13:11 I opened another long position of 1 lot, so my total position was 10 lots. So the margin required was 56, 000 and my equity was more or less the same (around 61,500). The news came and the EUR/USD plunged immediately. It went down to 1.4210 and at 1.4218 I received a margin call for my position of 5 lots (at 13:31). My equity was sufficient enough to cover that position (around 59,000 or 58,000 the worst at the lowest levels). As I expected the EUR/USD pair to go up and as I wanted the position, I went again long with 4 (and not 5 as I wanted) lots at 13:34.However the price was significantly greater (1.42733)... This resulted in losses in my first trade and less profits on the other trade.Later on, I closed all my long positions at about 1.4315. Please take the time to go through my trades...

I await for your reply!

Evangelos

Good explanation from Marcos as he went through more detail than me.

Btw, congrats on last week's win! (y)

Hey Atilla, how's it going?

You shouldn't need to enter login/pswd credentials to use your account with MT4. Instead, you should install forexdesk's expert advisor.

Expert Advisor installed and green triangle on.

You can find info on how to do it on your account page, by clicking on the 'Trade' tab and then checking the information on the sidebar: http://support.forexdesk.com/knowledgebase/articles/10975-setting-up-metatrader-4-integration

You can find the FXSystemID and FXPassword on that same sidebar as well.

Yep seen it done it.

If you're still having issues, the best way to get prompt/helpful responses is to contact the support team through http://support.forexdesk.com/ - there they'll have timely and detailed info on helping you through your issues.

Cheers,
Marcos

I'll contact support team. Thanks.