multi-nics

You've cut me to the heart Major. How can I trust you ever again.
I kinda thought Jonnyfutures was a bit too smart for the newbie questions he was asking.

I think my heart is bleeding : sob: : sob:
Yeh, Ok you can stay on the condition you change your nic from ChocolateDigestive. How on earth did you come up with that name.

lol. I wanted to ask that but I figured it must be obvious and I'd just embarrass myself :eek:

Peter

If such a thing were possible, I'd vote to not only ban multi-nicks - but to only permit people to register with their real name. It would solve many of the problems T2W suffers from at the moment. Thankfully, few of the trolls on here are in the quite same league as the pathetic apologies for human beings that are exposed in this program - but the basic issues are much the same.

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Hunting the Internet Bullies

solution is fixed IP only for a poster.........(one nick)

readers can have many..........but will they need them?

Hi Don,
Thanks for the feedback - I'll link your post in the Staff forum to ensure the Mods, Sharky et al see it, I know they'll be interested in your views. Like you, I'm aware of a change in Moderation but, like I said in my previous post, it's a stylistic one - as opposed to poor moderation or policy change. And you're right about the site guidelines too but, as I'm sure you'll be the first to point out, they aren't always totally black and white in all situations, and on some occasions it's down to the discretion of the Mods as to how they're interpreted. Everything changes, nothing stays the same - that's life.
Tim.

how is the change stylistic? and what discretion is there in blatant leaving up of vendor post links and signatures? a thread today i fell apon a good example and one of many where moderation had started. but vendors now appear to left alone to do as they please.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...6-first-4-trading-first-market-sentiment.html

for sure things change, but it would be good if the members of the forum were kept informed as to any policy changes. and the site guidelines changed to reflect these shifts in policy.

LM,

If a post is reported it will be addressed, the only issue being that we are short of moderation capacity. You said yourself that you have stopped reporting in which case it will not be addressed. The link you just gave has now had the entire thread deleted but I have not seen any reports on this so I was not aware of it.

Paul

LM,

If a post is reported it will be addressed, the only issue being that we are short of moderation capacity. You said yourself that you have stopped reporting in which case it will not be addressed. The link you just gave has now had the entire thread deleted but I have not seen any reports on this so I was not aware of it.

Paul

what special capacity is needed

to clean forum from posts like one of the above(ChocolateDigestive)?

---

there is simple way "to digest such chocolate"........

instant warning by p.m.

and in case of repetition get him banned right away without explanation

why fixed IP for posters should be considered

what special capacity is needed

to clean forum from posts like one of the above(ChocolateDigestive)?

---

there is simple way "to digest such chocolate"........

instant warning by p.m.

and in case of repetition get him banned right away without explanation

why fixed IP for posters should be considered

because not everyone has a fixed ip see.

once you've banned him, then what you going to do when he comes back with another nick? you go again, you delete him. this may be fine for a while for 10, 20 or so hits. but the both of yous are going to be getting very fed up at this stage.

2 things will happen at this point in time.

1. he gets fed up and seeks out another forum to waste the day away (unlikely)

2. he starts down more crafty roads and starts to hide his true ip.

quite often it's number 2 that happens. and they'll change their ip several times a day. if they want to get on the boards they will, fact.

look at trader333's post, they have a moderating crisis, you seem a keen chap. i'd suggest you ask nicely and maybe they'll let you have a go. previous multinicks, infractions etc not withstanding :D good luck

LM,

Paul

yes i have stopped reporting. but it doesn't follow that a report is needed to actually bin a post or thread. with a name like first4trading and a thread named first market sentiment appearing in the new posts list, should really be spotted? a fair assumption is that it's a vendor? and they will likely have links?

vendors in the main have pretty much vendor'ish names, as do spammers and scammers. if you going to wait for a report, posts with links to god knows what will likely stay up months!

yes, appreciated that there's a mod issue. quick, badge up als before he changes his mind :D

yes i have stopped reporting. but it doesn't follow that a report is needed to actually bin a post or thread. with a name like first4trading and a thread named first market sentiment appearing in the new posts list, should really be spotted? a fair assumption is that it's a vendor? and they will likely have links?

vendors in the main have pretty much vendor'ish names, as do spammers and scammers. if you going to wait for a report, posts with links to god knows what will likely stay up months!

yes, appreciated that there's a mod issue. quick, badge up als before he changes his mind :D

I agree with what you are saying although there is less proactive searching for these types of names and posts and that is probably the main issue.

Paul

I agree with what you are saying although there is less proactive searching for these types of names and posts and that is probably the main issue.

Relying on members to report posts is a deeply flawed approach, and it isnt even representative of the memberships views.

1 member complains, 249,999 think the post is acceptable, but the post still possibly gets deleted.

To make matters worse, the site guidelines are totally unclear. I pointed out the inconsistancy in moderation policy with the Mike Baghdaddy bankrupcy details. For months those posts where deleted, and now they allowed to stay. So what changed ? is there a change of policy, is it lack of time, does noone really care ?

How can members actually give any sort of positive input in those circumstances ?

................Relying on members to report posts is a deeply flawed approach, and it isnt even representative of the memberships views.

1 member complains, 249,999 think the post is acceptable, but the post still possibly gets deleted............

It may be deeply flawed, Hare, but we mods are only members doing the thing voluntarily. We don't have the time - nor inclination perhaps - to trawl through every post that's made so it's no surprise that things get missed if no-one draws them to attention.

It's also not true (as you indicate by your "possibly") that a post is deleted just because someone reports it - it just means that mods give it a close look.

We do try to keep the boards as "clean" as we can - a huge number of posts/threads are deleted (and people banned) before many members get to notice them, but when when a huge pile of rubbish is moved there's always going to be some litter left blowing about :)

IWe don't have the time - nor inclination perhaps - to trawl through every post that's made so it's no surprise that things get missed if no-one draws them to attention.

But the point is, noone really knows what they should and shouldnt draw attention too.

The Mike Baghdaddy fiasco is a perfect example. For months mods where presumably under instruction to remove material which mentioned the bankrupcy proceedings (depite that information being widely publisised elsewhere in the public domain and other trading sites)

Now all of a sudden, its allowed to remain, and yet, there apperas to be no change of policy or site guidelines.

I am genuinely confused as to whats acceptable, or not acceptable, what should be reported, and what should be tolerated. I have my suspicions the mods are equally baffled.

But the point is, noone really knows what they should and shouldnt draw attention too.

The Mike Baghdaddy fiasco is a perfect example. For months mods where presumably under instruction to remove material which mentioned the bankrupcy proceedings (depite that information being widely publisised elsewhere in the public domain and other trading sites)

Now all of a sudden, its allowed to remain, and yet, there apperas to be no change of policy or site guidelines.

I am genuinely confused as to whats acceptable, or not acceptable, what should be reported, and what should be tolerated. I have my suspicions the mods are equally baffled.

:) it's the way of life isn't it?

If T2W was a car and one of its member drivers nipped it up to 80 on the motorway the mod passenger might squirm a bit, but it might zoom along unmolested if the police didn't spot it and choose to ticket/prosecute. Course the driver and all the passengers might shout that the T2W car was only doing 70 and it's only the police's opinion that it was doing 80, but who is going to put their hand in their pocket to fund a defence.

:) it's the way of life isn't it?

If T2W was a car and one of its member drivers nipped it up to 80 on the motorway the mod passenger might squirm a bit, but it might zoom along unmolested if the police didn't spot it and choose to ticket/prosecute. Course the driver and all the passengers might shout that the T2W car was only doing 70 and it's only the police's opinion that it was doing 80, but who is going to put their hand in their pocket to fund a defence.

Lets stick with your analogy, and how it relates to the Mike Baghdaddy example.

Members drive up and down the motorway 24/7 doing nothing wrong, and every single time, the police pull them over and book them, regardless of what speed they are doing. [members post factual information that portays a t2w advertising partner in a negative light, and mods remove that information, even if its relatively minor critisism, or available elsewhere, for example, a court of law !]

Eventually members stop driving up and down that particular road [members stop posting about Baghdaddy cos they know they are wasting their time trying to help others].

Then one day, a new member takes t2w out for a spin. Before setting off, he drinks 8 pints, takes a gram of speed, slips NWA's **** da police into the CD player, turns up the volume, and then proceeds to drive up the motorway, swerving from lane to lane.

However, this time, the police decide to turn a blind eye. A concerned member of the public points out to the officers that the driver is drunk, under the influence of drugs, driving dangerously, and generally dissing the police !

The police's response is "I dont really know if he's breaking the law or not", "I'm not going to pull him over", "maybe another officer might take a look", "I dont really know if that kind of behaviour is acceptable or not, ummm I'll ask the chief constable next time he pops in to the station". The t2w mod passengers are not remotely concerned, one's in the back snorting coke off a tarts thigh, and the others hanging out of the sunroof with an AK47 shooting at traffic lights.

So what we have here, to use your analogy is the police arresting anyone for the most minor offense (or even arreting people for no reason at all), and then suddently letting em get away with murder.

If such a thing was to occur, I suspect that questions might very well get asked about the sudden change in policing policy.

Last edited:
hare

:LOL: I'm sure you will have noticed that in my analogy the mods were sitting in the T2W car not the police car.

Lets stick with your analogy, and how it relates to the Mike Baghdaddy example.

Members drive up and down the motorway 24/7 doing nothing wrong, and every single time, the police pull them over and book them, regardless of what speed they are doing. [members post factual information that portays a t2w advertising partner in a negative light, and mods remove that information, even if its relatively minor critisism, or available elsewhere, for example, a court of law !]

Eventually members stop driving up and down that particular road [members stop posting about Baghdaddy cos they know they are wasting their time trying to help others].

Then one day, a new member takes t2w out for a spin. Before setting off, he drinks 8 pints, takes a gram of speed, slips NWA's **** da police into the CD player, turns up the volume, and then proceeds to drive up the motorway, swerving from lane to lane.

However, this time, the police decide to turn a blind eye. A concerned member of the public points out to the officers that the driver is drunk, under the influence of drugs, driving dangerously, and generally dissing the police !

The police's response is "I dont really know if he's breaking the law or not", "I'm not going to pull him over", "maybe another officer might take a look", "I dont really know if that kind of behaviour is acceptable or not, ummm I'll ask the chief constable next time he pops in to the station". The t2w mod passengers are not remotely concerned, one's in the back snorting coke off a tarts thigh, and the others hanging out of the sunroof with an AK47 shooting at traffic lights.

So what we have here, to use your analogy is the police arresting anyone for the most minor offense (or even arreting people for no reason at all), and then suddently letting em get away with murder.

If such a thing was to occur, I suspect that questions might very well get asked about the sudden change in policing policy.

Sounds like that new driver took out a lot of advertising in the police gazette lately.