Having an edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Lot Of Time & Effort Is Being Wasted On One-up-manship, And Handbags At Dawn On This Thread. I Don't See Much Evidence Of An Edge Anywhere. More Like Chocolate Fire Guards At The Moment........

Perhaps the realization of not holding an edge is causing the toys to be thrown out of the pram and forcing people to try to justify and question their status on an internet forum?

For if one was in possession of a consistent ''edge'' they would have lots of money to enjoy and Ferrari's to polish, as opposed to being drawn into this kind of pointless debate...

JK

Yes, it's not about whether or not someone can trade. It's all about on-line persona...I can see why you work so hard on that aspect..

What a brilliant answer. Absolutely spot on. This is the reason this topic of having an edge touches raw nerves other topics do not reach. And then the next thing that happens is that attempts are made to drill your head in.....to extract....information.... And then the next thing that happens is that you refuse....and then it really starts them off ..:LOL: ..see what I mean ? Fun isn't it ?

Perhaps the realization of not holding an edge is causing the toys to be thrown out of the pram and forcing people to try to justify and question their status on an internet forum?

For if one was in possession of a consistent ''edge'' they would have lots of money to enjoy and Ferrari's to polish, as opposed to being drawn into this kind of pointless debate...

JK

EXCELLENT POINTS. And don't forget the fair maidens banging their doors down!

ok chaps,

i see you had fun when i was asleep. the "citizen mod" didnt delete what he should have :LOL:

all irrelevant posts deleted from where i went to sleep.

please keep this on topic or i will close this thread. if you want to have fun, please do so in the foyer. thank you

Moderators' Warning

I will add to Jacinto's post:

This morning I had to wade through pages of taunts, insults and general silliness by members towards other members.
This thread is about the edge and not about stepping over the edge.
I have been a member of T2W since 2003 and have seen these thread derailments many times in the past, often propagated by the same members as on this occasion. I know the particular tactics used to try to wind up other members, the factions involved and the techniques to try to avoid moderation.
I will remind EACH and EVERY member that they are welcome to post provided they do not breach the site guidelines. Here is an extract of those that are relevant to yesterday's fiasco.

7.7 Posts or threads which knowingly lead to overly strong negative and emotional responses (‘trolling’) are not allowed.
7.9 Keep your posts related to the topic of the thread. Irrelevant posts, particularly those which are intended to take the thread completely off topic will be moved to a new thread, or may be removed altogether.
7.10 Please keep your posts as constructive as possible and avoid making a post that adds little or no value to the discussion, for example "That's so cool." Poor grammar, spelling and misleading titles, make it harder to read the forums.
11.1 The moderators are site members who freely give their time to ensure that discussions are friendly and civilized and conducted in accordance with the site’s rules. The forums could not function without them and their efforts should be appreciated by all who use the site.
11.2 Please remember the moderators are volunteers. Try not to make their tasks even more time consuming by seeking to draw them into debate on the implementation of the rules in any particular case. Any thread which appears to be going down this route will be closed and/or removed by the site administrators.
13.4 In exceptional circumstances, and at the discretion of the site moderators, members may be immediately and permanently banned. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, sexual harassment, personal abuse towards another member, racist comments or blatant advertising.

I will also reminder EACH and EVERY member that the moderators may award warnings and infractions. These carry with them infraction points and expiry dates (or no expiry). Like points on a driving licence these accumulate and temporary or permanent bans may result.
Jacinto reminded members last night to keep discussions civil and for the sake of grown-up discussion about trading it would be nice if moderation could be kept at the level of gentle reminders.
There will not be a repeat of last night's slanging match

Charlton

I blame it on NT for starting this in the wrong forum. It's clearly more appropriate for the playroom come foyer given the nature of the self imploding subject matter.
I mean how can you seriously discuss "edge" when the fact that there is a market with two sides can only exist because every Tom ,Dick and Harry thinks they have the "edge". If they didn't they wouldn't be in the market in the first place and i would be left with the situation of having to pass money from my right pocket to my left pocket which is very boring ;)

...and i would be left with the situation of having to pass money from my right pocket to my left pocket which is very boring ;)
I used to do that, but found someone was taking a cut. They obviously had an edge.

It's a pity the fishing trip post was deleted as I was going to develop an allegory of fishing with having an edge. Still, perhaps another day....

I used to do that, but found someone was taking a cut. They obviously had an edge.

It's a pity the fishing trip post was deleted as I was going to develop an allegory of fishing with having an edge. Still, perhaps another day....

dont push your luck :LOL:

My tongue in cheek post above does have a point though...and NT..I was j...ing

Most common question I have from investors is;
"What is your edge?"
First time I was asked that years ago, at an interview, I had no good answer and no idea.
These days I know exactly what it is and how to exploit it. I think it is important to know this.

"What is your edge?"
First time I was asked that years ago, at an interview, I had no good answer and no idea.
These days I know exactly what it is and how to exploit it. I think it is important to know this.

Yes...:cheesy:

I think the reason why this thread has attracted so much interest & attention, at times leading to confusion, chaos, derision, antagonism, paranoioa etc. etc.....is that the majority of us (and i include myself) have methods that work, but don't consider our edge to be sharp enough. We want a sharper edge, methods that work better, that we feel more confident about - and this is causing some frustration.

Last edited:
"What is your edge?"

absolutely agree.

but there is also something that always crosses my mind, and i dont know if it can be part of an edge or not , so i will quote Clint Easton (dunno which film though)

"a man has got to know his limitations" (after shooting some bad guy)

think this is relevant, if one doesnt know one's weaknesses, one cannot exploit strengths.

anyway, just a thought

I think the reason why this thread has attracted so much interest & attention, at times leading to confusion, chaos, & derision, is that the majority of us (and i include myself) have methods that work, but don't consider our edge to be sharp enough. We want a sharper edge, methods that work better, that we feel more confident about - and this is causing some frustration.

Recruiting now....

http://www.sis.gov.uk/output/Page583.html

I think the reason why this thread has attracted so much interest & attention, at times leading to confusion, chaos, & derision, is that the majority of us (and i include myself) have methods that work, but don't consider our edge to be sharp enough. We want a sharper edge, methods that work better, that we feel more confident about - and this is causing some frustration.

You NEARLY pinned it....NEARLY ! :LOL:

By the way...interesting link.

Notice how it is that the front line of questions involves testing the abiltiy of a candidate to hold an Iron Legend. This requires mental toughness and perfect recall.

Now try to do this in your head without using a calculator:~

Work out how many seconds there are in 2 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 12 seconds. You may not write anything down, except the final result.

By the way, in case anyone jumps to conclusions, I am not recruiting, but it is a mental excercise worth doing often for darksiders to sharpen the abiltiy to retain numbers and recall them when needed, without referring to the charts and whilst under pressure..:cool:

189192 seconds - it took me about 153 seconds to calculate the CORRECT number - after missing out a 0 in the first attempt!

chump has, from another angle, given you what constitutes a real edge - the need for an intent to develop or discover an edge for oneself is a prerequisite for having any edge.

I'll add my own oft-quoted mantra that the need to recognise they don't last forever is equally vital, so you never stop looking.

Take options expiry. Had a PM exchange with another t2w member recently on the phenomenom of 'expiry Fridays' and how they had an impact on the markets a little way beyond that day. It is an edge. Am I the only one with it? Absolutely and emphatically not. But do enough people NOT have that edge to enable me to utilise it as one. Of course! An edge doesn't have to be unique to make it financially viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.