The Secret Edge

Which best applies to you ?

• I am profitable - I have a secret edge I couldn't disclose.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I am profitable - revealing what I do wouldn't make any difference.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • I am not profitable yet - but I believe in secret edges.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I am not profitable yet - I don't believe in secret edges

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
I'll be super vague... but me and 1 or more others are forming an llp (not my first llp... I have a legit normal one :LOL:) for some things we're doing... for our amusement have called it some swearwords obfustucated by a cunning system that makes it sound like it's an olde worlde partnership, so we can invite ourselves along to things... and s-n-d is involved in a way I won't describe in any way at all unless he wants to...

(cause it's important no one notices he's a**on m**ns returned :LOL:)

[name obfustucated to prevent google or whatever discovering it, but legible enough old timers know who I mean :D]

There's no 'accounting' (ahem) for S-N-D's participation in this really to my mind although there was a poster from times gone by who was quite 'taxing' (ahem) and amusing - fledgling trader who was obsessed with posting all day and doing no work.

As for Apron Muggins - no idea who he was. :LOL:

Anyway, what's an LLP called 'W@nkre-CoakSukke-Shytebag' got to do with taking over the middle east?

I don't think it's possible on the internet to tell if someone is succesful or not.

I think those failed traders that have been in the game a long time would be able to succesfully hoodwink most for a while.

Arrogance,ego and a few 'shock and awe' tactics to knock people down are often used by scammers. So - when you question a scammer, the length and tone of the reply is a good clue - protesting too much & all that. I'd tend to be more believing of a vendor that didn't care too much who thought he was succesful or not.

Now - if you have nothing to sell or are not obviously trying to set yourself up as a guru here in anticipation of selling - then I think you have a clean slate in terms of stating your opinions. It doesn't necessarily mean you are right but it does mean you don't have a specific agenda.

Yes, but how many "gurus" in the past have started threads for a few months with exactly the attitude you describe. They start out saying "oh im a retired former proffesional" Or "people gave to me, so Im returning the favor" or "I hate to see people struggle"
People jump on the coat tails for a ride and BAM!!! Paid forum, or paid educational web site. Its utterly maddening to me.

Then you reject:
  1. Posted items on trades as they are made.
  2. Certified audits of accounts.
  3. Applications that let you watch a trader trade.

Far out!

HC,

The above does not matter. It will not convince the average reader, especially on a gossip site like this ! :)

Even if it is true, the details will not make a better trader of the reader. They are, simply, to satisfy the ego of the poster.

One in a thousand traders will follow his mentor's steps exactly. That is why most systems fail. Not because they are, necessarily, bad although they may be, but because they are not followed precisely.

All of us tinker with systems. That what makes us failures, or improves us.

They are, simply, to satisfy the ego of the poster.

Often true, but not always. In my case posting live trades has assisted in keeping my discipline in check and has eliminated some boredom that comes with trading at home.

One in a thousand traders will follow his mentor's steps exactly. That is why most systems fail. Not because they are, necessarily, bad although they may be, but because they are not followed precisely.

I do agree with that statement.

Peter

HC,

The above does not matter. It will not convince the average reader, especially on a gossip site like this ! :)

Even if it is true, the details will not make a better trader of the reader. They are, simply, to satisfy the ego of the poster.

I largely agree with your comments.

I recognize that many operate on the principle "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts." Forums, in general, seem to attract these sorts and this forum is clearly no exception.

It is an ego thing. I don't mind if someone does not follow my methods. I don't mind if some think I've insufficient experience to educate others. But standing by while being called a liar and a fake and a scam artist is a challenge to my ego. Perhaps a personality flaw on my part.

I thought about granting access to the online version of my trading Dashboard to a few of my doubters to at least show the veracity of my claims. The Dashboard is what I use when away from my workstation. I've now cooled on that idea.

I'm an engineer. Tinkering is in my DNA.

When a system based on a successful strategy fails, the primary reason for the failure is usually the system component that is hardest to manage, the trader.

And so it goes.

HC - can you answer a straight question ?

Do you plan, at some point in the future to either:

a) offer training courses to people you meet on T2W (and the other forums you recently started posting to) and receive payment from those members in return for said training?
b) offer for people you meet on T2W a chance to invest with you for a share of the profits?

Just interested.

I largely agree with your comments.

I recognize that many operate on the principle "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts." Forums, in general, seem to attract these sorts and this forum is clearly no exception.

It is an ego thing. I don't mind if someone does not follow my methods. I don't mind if some think I've insufficient experience to educate others. But standing by while being called a liar and a fake and a scam artist is a challenge to my ego. Perhaps a personality flaw on my part.

I thought about granting access to the online version of my trading Dashboard to a few of my doubters to at least show the veracity of my claims. The Dashboard is what I use when away from my workstation. I've now cooled on that idea.

I'm an engineer. Tinkering is in my DNA.

When a system based on a successful strategy fails, the primary reason for the failure is usually the system component that is hardest to manage, the trader.

And so it goes.

I do not think that the professions offer a sound base from which to practice market trading. In fact, they could be a drawback because of the illogicality of markets. Markets do not do what common sense, from a mathematical point of view, dictates. It is only when a trader shakes off his previous professional habits that he becomes adept at trading.

In fact, most of the mumbo-jumbo about Fibs and all the rest are only used to bring some order and understanding into the trading arena. Do you not see the effort and imagination brought about by mathematicians in their efforts to do this?

That is why, IMO, systems will never work for more than a handful of traders who know how to interpret them.

It does not matter what your academic qualifications are. It only matters that you are an intelligent person capable of approaching trading from another angle and, whatever that angle is, it will be difficult to teach to others. A few will grasp it but most will not.

If we become successful traders, we must be thankful for that. Very few will understand what we do. Perhaps, we should be thankful for that, too.

Often true, but not always. In my case posting live trades has assisted in keeping my discipline in check and has eliminated some boredom that comes with trading at home.

Peter

Come on, Peter, you must admit to having a tiny , little, bit of ego in there, somewhere! ;)

Come on, Peter, you must admit to having a tiny , little, bit of ego in there, somewhere! ;)

Hmmm...I don't reckon it's the ego asking to be rubbed, I think it's far more complex than that. I reckon there's a part of everyone that wants to be patted on the back/to be told they're doing a good job, the right thing. In the normal work place that recognition and reward is virtually guaranteed to be automatic if you perform well, similarly if you play sport (perhaps at a high level). However, the only recognition you can have in *our world* is through your P&L (private), or fellow traders stating "good shout" (public).

Like Pete, I enjoy this suite of forums for the company and the trading related laughs, perhaps eventually being recognised by your peer group as an effective trader is something we should consciously embrace as we're asking to be recognised as a competent professional within a group with shared motives, as opposed to being thought of as a 'red-hot' trader..(whatever that is).

HC - can you answer a straight question ?

Do you plan, at some point in the future to either:

a) offer training courses to people you meet on T2W (and the other forums you recently started posting to) and receive payment from those members in return for said training?
b) offer for people you meet on T2W a chance to invest with you for a share of the profits?

Just interested.

Can I answer a straight question?
That's pretty rude. On serious matters when have I not been straight?

I personally give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Unless there is evidence to disbelieve them, I choose not to. If I intend to follow someone's advice then "I trust, but verify." I think that is a much better way to live than what is exhibited by many on this forum.

Not all forums in which I participate have the culture here. As many of you know, I am a concealed carry weapons instructor. I probably am a member of more than two dozen forums, frequent of half a dozen, and a serious contributor to three. In some of the forums, I am the "goto" guy on some subjects. On none of the forums is your kind of participation tolerated. We consider the subject of guns, their use, their maintenance and their value in saving lives a very serious matter.

I continue to participate here because the benefits outweigh the costs. I still have a lot to learn and there are many here who take the responsibility to teach seriously. I also believe I have something to offer from my life experiences and my trading experiences. I expect everyone to use my rules (stated above for your convenience) in evaluating the value of my assistance, and the veracity of my claims.

Do I plan to offer courses and receive payment?
Asked and answered on several occasions publicaly and in PMs.

Once more (and probably not for the last time) and for the record.

I have trained some who asked for free. We split the costs of a room and training materials for the class. I have received no revenue for these efforts.

I am in the process of putting together an ETC (Education - Training - Coaching) program with respect to my trading methods and my ideas on the theory, design and implementation of a Trader's Dashboard. Before I go commercial I will have a vendor's badge placed in my profile.

My marketing plan is considerably more extensive than just forums. Yes, I have some marketing experience as well and have received income to consult in that area. I am considering marketing on this forum and have ordered an advertising kit. If it fits in my budget, I am interested in advertising here. Not only as a part of my marketing plan, but to contribute money to funding what is a free service to posters like you. I take seriously the "Return" part of my life which has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Do I plan to offer to invest invest with me for a share of the profits?
Finally, a question I have not yet been asked on this forum.

My answer: No, No and No! I wont invest for anyone else except my wife. Not even my children or my closest friends. I will teach my methods and coach students through the learning curve. But I will not invest for anyone else. Is that perfectly clear?

I would suggest that you print this out for future reference.

I do not think that the professions offer a sound base from which to practice market trading. In fact, they could be a drawback because of the illogicality of markets. Markets do not do what common sense, from a mathematical point of view, dictates. It is only when a trader shakes off his previous professional habits that he becomes adept at trading.

In fact, most of the mumbo-jumbo about Fibs and all the rest are only used to bring some order and understanding into the trading arena. Do you not see the effort and imagination brought about by mathematicians in their efforts to do this?

That is why, IMO, systems will never work for more than a handful of traders who know how to interpret them.

It does not matter what your academic qualifications are. It only matters that you are an intelligent person capable of approaching trading from another angle and, whatever that angle is, it will be difficult to teach to others. A few will grasp it but most will not.

If we become successful traders, we must be thankful for that. Very few will understand what we do. Perhaps, we should be thankful for that, too.

Read anything by Dr. Alexander Elder, a successful trader and a psychiatrist.

I find my experience as an engineer and a private pilot invaluable in informing my approach to trading. Others who have read the draft of my book agree with me. YMMV.

Arther C. Clark - Laws of Prediction:
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; when he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  4. For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

Another potentially cracking thread ruined...Do any new threads ever get past circa 30 posts without being completely and utterly fookin de-railed?

Retired engineer and no MA.

No probs-

You seem a good guy (only read very few posts from you)

I dont have a problem if you want to sell courses to people.I dont see the problem:(

Its seems that 90% what is sold is junk,so its the consumer who is responsible here as its high risk that anything is sold works,so I dont blame you.

I have a MA in maths-

If your an engineer Please solve this-quite basic needed for your old career.

Differentiate the following functions w.r.t. x

(i) 2x−3x23 (ii) (3x2−5x+1)7

(iii) (3x4−2x+6)4(x−3)23(iv) xx2−1

Is that:

(i) 2x-3x^23
(ii) (3x^2-5x+1)^7
(iii) (x-3)(3x^4-2x+6)^4
iv) x^x^2-1

They all look simple despite the weird notation. This level is taught in the 13-16 age range in English schools - well it used to be.

Hmmm...I don't reckon it's the ego asking to be rubbed, I think it's far more complex than that. I reckon there's a part of everyone that wants to be patted on the back/to be told they're doing a good job, the right thing. In the normal work place that recognition and reward is virtually guaranteed to be automatic if you perform well, similarly if you play sport (perhaps at a high level). However, the only recognition you can have in *our world* is through your P&L (private), or fellow traders stating "good shout" (public).

Like Pete, I enjoy this suite of forums for the company and the trading related laughs, perhaps eventually being recognised by your peer group as an effective trader is something we should consciously embrace as we're asking to be recognised as a competent professional within a group with shared motives, as opposed to being thought of as a 'red-hot' trader..(whatever that is).

When I was 2nd mate on a grain ship I kept the 12-4 watch. Would you believe that the ship's cat brought his bloody rats up onto the bridge for me to look at? It knew where there was someone awake to show them to.

I suppose that we all have a bit of that in us!