Windows update times

Splitlink

Legendary member
This is an anecdote, nothing special, just a warning about having a stop on trades, espercially when not there.

I got an advice from Windows that they were going to do an update, at 1103 CET and to save any work that I had. They gave me 20 minutes.

I had a trade open. SB, long on CAC and was up about 5 points. I was hoping for a rise over the 4500 level. Decided to put a stop at 4465, well down, because I thought that I would be back within a few minutes.

Lesson 1. Windows takes about 50 minutes, when it wants to update.

When I got back the CAC had taken a dive to 4468. I did not consider it worth selling because it was very close to a rising 60 av. Now, at present it is up to 4475. Could turn into a double bottom but, in any case, I am only trying to reduce a loss because my original trade has failed.

I'm not a novice at this and am , nowhere near, worried about my account. It's a disappointing morning, that's all, but I thought that I would post this as an advice about what can happen and as a warning about Windows updates

Good trading.

Hi Split,

I use the option to check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

I decide when to download and update.

Should be in Control Panel / Windows Update / Change Settings.

(y)

One of the nice things about trend trading and longer term trading is that you can leave the trade on autopilot. With sensible stops (which when you get the trade management right will never be exercised because you will have got out long before that) it means that things like computer failure or pesky Windows updates et cetera do not become worries. For me, the psychological bonus of being able to sleep at night & weekends and not have to stay glued to a screen for short-term trading (which I do realise does allow you to sleep after hours), is overwhelming.

But of course, each to their own.

Last edited:
Since Windows 10 was introduced you no longer have the ability to control when updates are installed which is about as far away from serving customer needs as is possible. I have stayed with Windows 8.1 which is much better having tried both and when support runs out for this in 2020 I will be switching to either Linux or Mac. MS has completely lost their customer focus and in my view will pay the price in the long term for doing so.

My stop was well below what I, normally, tolerate. I, simply, did not expect Windows to take that long.

Now, I know!

Trend trading. Why not, if you like it? Me? Sometimes, I do and, sometimes , I don't.

Since Windows 10 was introduced you no longer have the ability to control when updates are installed which is about as far away from serving customer needs as is possible. I have stayed with Windows 8.1 which is much better having tried both and when support runs out for this in 2020 I will be switching to either Linux or Mac. MS has completely lost their customer focus and in my view will pay the price in the long term for doing so.

Well technically they download automatically and you can't choose which updates to download or not, but you can control when they are installed.

Only my tablets have Windows 10. My PC is still on Windows 7.0 :)

A sensible choice in my view :)

The only tablets I have are Rennies, with a mint flavour, taken after lunch. :)

Seriously, I'm a very old fashioned, old man. It's a wonder that I have a desk computer.
Certainly, I'm not into those telephone, ipad things. I have my work cut out, as it is, getting
past them and their owners, on the pavements and metro, outside.

Ah! I haven't got a stick, yet. My wife has one, now, and she wants me to get one. I'm holding out. but you have given me a good reason to get one.:D
One of these will do
5a72ffa4944324cec03865a01302780d.jpg

Irving Berlin, Louis Armstrong & the Mills Bros all knew about "Walking Sticks".

Irving Berlin, Louis Armstrong & the Mills Bros all knew about "Walking Sticks".

I'll listen to that, to-night. At present, I'm on someone else's computer and I can't work it, properly. In any case, I've got better speakers.

Ah! I haven't got a stick, yet. My wife has one, now, and she wants me to get one. I'm holding out.
Hold out Split'.
When you're ready, go for a top end tandem 'Madge Mobile'. Your wife can drive; knock down the younsters on their phones - leaving you 'hands free' (do you see what I did there?) to ride shotgun. I can envision you in the Ramblas as I type . . .

Mr. & Mrs. Splitlink's Transport.jpg