Why 2008 will be a good year

My New Year's Resolution for trading is to let "good enough" be, well, good enough. If I can accomplish this, I will consider 2008 to be a good year.

jj

Good enough? :) If you mean, that to be too perfection driven prevents you from thriving, I'm with you (y)

That's pretty much it. After all, what's the point of doing all that backtesting and development if one is only going to be tempted to try to outsmart them? The temptation rarely gets the better of me, but it sure does add to the stress of trading. Accepting that good enough is good enough should reduce some of the stress assocated with automating a trading program, at least for me, and a reduction in stress is generally a good thing.

jj

why 2008 will be a good year...this got to be my first post! :arrowr: my trading career started 18 months ago...in between, i experience all that have been said in this forum. Sticking to what i have learned and have an open mind to continue learning, I am pre-empting 2008 will be a good year for me!

why 2008 will be a good year...this got to be my first post! :arrowr: my trading career started 18 months ago...in between, i experience all that have been said in this forum. Sticking to what i have learned and have an open mind to continue learning, I am pre-empting 2008 will be a good year for me!

A positive mindset always helps :) So all the best for your ventures in 2008

Cheers Carlos

Thank you to all of you, who posted.

I'm still surprised, how few people had a say here.

Carlos

Go on antibiotics. I got an infection over Christmas and lost 7 lbs. Now I have to figure out a way to stay like that.

Split

I also went on anti-biotics b4/over christmas. What a bloody nightmare. Liquid number 2's at 60 seconds notice :eek:. Lost appetite as felt bloated/about to thow up all the time - not much fun, but neither was the double ear infection :LOL:.

I also went on anti-biotics b4/over christmas. What a bloody nightmare. Liquid number 2's at 60 seconds notice :eek:. Lost appetite as felt bloated/about to thow up all the time - not much fun, but neither was the double ear infection :LOL:.

Never mind (y) We're both Ok now, right ? :clap::clap:

Let's give 'em hell. :D

Split

2008 will be a GREAT YEAR - (not for a lot of homeowners sadly) - but the " Credit Crunch " (CDOs) - have done all traders a MASSIVE favour by just accelerating those down moves - and if everyones positioned correctly there could be some BIG $$ made -
A mate of mine with 1.7m in his spread betting account added a " CHUNK " to it yesterday thanks to that V nice slide on the DJI -
Citigroups $10b loss report caused that drag all day - another CEO getting his P45 ...

(n)

2008 will be a year of wonders :)

Can't explain that, as otherwise it wouldn't be wonders any more, would it :)

Re weight control earlier here, easiest way in the world is getting regular exercise (and all that means is stuff everybody can do like brisk walking 30 minutes / day), cutting down on bad carbohydrates and bad fats, ie white bread / white rice etc and most animal meats, replacing them with good carbohydrates like whole meal bread / brown rice, and good proteins / good fats to be found in eg fish / tofu, and lots and lots of vegetables / fruits.

And yes, you can make incredibly tasty dishes that way :)

Not only will you be able to perfectly control your weight that way without ever feeling hungry when eating lots of good proteins and fruits and vegetables (drink em if you don't like eating em), but that is also the best gift you can make your body against microinflammations that are the number one source of ageing and disease.

"Raising the bar

At 88, fitness guru Jack LaLanne can run circles around those half his age

...Reporters periodically come to this fishing village to see how the "Godfather of Fitness," who opened the country's first health club in Oakland in 1936 and who was a staple of morning television for 30 years with the syndicated "Jack LaLanne Show," is getting along. After all, it's been a decade or two since he pulled one of his fitness stunts, such as swimming underwater from Alcatraz to the Golden Gate Bridge, towing 60 boats behind him.

...Back in the day, those who didn't mock LaLanne as a crackpot -- remember, he had the gall to ask folks to give up their beloved red meat and stick to high-protein, low-fat diets -- worshiped at his altar of fitness. His TV show ran from 1951 to 1985, insisting to housewives that they would be more feminine with a toned, muscular body. In the show's heyday in the '60s, the message resonated such that LaLanne was estimated to have 50 million viewers. And he made a pretty penny selling nearly 20 million of his upper-body-toning Glamour Stretcher.

...But neither LaLanne's lasting impact nor his physique has significantly diminished with time. In the past few months, he has been honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was an inductee into the San Francisco Golden Circle by a Bay Area television broadcasters' organization.

...He's kept muscle atrophy at bay in typical LaLanne fashion, waking at 5 a.m., seven days a week, to lift weights for an hour and swim for another hour, eating a strict organic and vegetarian diet.

...This scrawny kid was a mess, and, finally, his mother found the source of his problem. He was a substance abuser. That substance was sugar. Always ahead of his time, LaLanne was a bulimic before the medical term had even been coined.

"I'd eat a quart of ice cream in one sitting, shove my finger down my throat, heave it up and have another quart," LaLanne said. "There's nothing more addictive on this earth than sugar. Not heroin, booze, whatever. It's much worse than smoking. Boy, I tell you, I had blinding headaches every day. I was mentally screwed up by sugar. I was psychotic. I was malnourished. I was always getting sick. I got kicked out of school. I wanted to die."

But Jennie LaLanne, willful in her own right, would have none of that. She read in the newspaper about a lecture by health-food pioneer Paul C. Bragg at the Oakland City Women's Club, and she forcibly took Jack along. The two-hour talk, LaLanne says, saved his life.

That night, before bed, Jack prayed for the first time in God knows how long. He made a pact with his deity: If he could remake his body in Bragg's image, he would dedicate his life to helping others. In the subsequent weeks and months, he vowed never to eat sugar, white flour, red meat or any processed foods again. He joined the Berkeley YMCA and swam like a demon.

His fitness regimen and strict diet of raw vegetables, soy protein and fistfuls of vitamins turned LaLanne into a new man. He went back to Berkeley High School and became the captain of the football team and an all-league wrestler and baseball player. Still, he was considered something of a freak in high school.

"They thought I was crazy," he said. "I had to take my lunch alone to the football field to eat so no one would see me eat my raw veggies, whole bread, raisins and nuts. You don't know the crap I went through, boy."

"Word got around. That Jack LaLanne -- he's not a wacko after all. People started buying me free drinks, and girls were giving me their phone numbers. I was runner-up Mr. America in the '40s. I felt like I was the King of Fitness, boy. It was perfect."

FULL ARTICLE...

Edit: in response to JTraders post I've shortened the paste of the copy :)

Last edited:
BSD - your links intimidate me :eek:. But then i realise it is just 1 link :whistling;).

Last edited:
Reactions: BSD
2008 will be a GREAT YEAR - (not for a lot of homeowners sadly) - but the " Credit Crunch " (CDOs) - have done all traders a MASSIVE favour by just accelerating those down moves - and if everyones positioned correctly there could be some BIG $$ made -
A mate of mine with 1.7m in his spread betting account added a " CHUNK " to it yesterday thanks to that V nice slide on the DJI -
Citigroups $10b loss report caused that drag all day - another CEO getting his P45 ...

(n)

They already have a new CEO :eek:

No way - ALREADY..? :-0 - they wasted NO time - i wonder how big his comp package is gonna be.? - another LARGE reward for failure ... !!

JP MORGAN have just hired Tony Blair to advise them on " STRATEGY " - hes the LAST person you want get advice from (500K per yr) - if his " new " advice is anything like his OLD advice - i give that bank 6 months until its insolvency..!!
What is the world coming too..?

:(

In fact, now theyve done that, why dont they go the whole hog and get that idiot Rumsfeld outta retirement and offer him the position of Chief Operating Officer..!!
(apologies in adv to any US traders there) - (we luv ya really)

:p

Reactions: BSD
Go on antibiotics. I got an infection over Christmas and lost 7 lbs. Now I have to figure out a way to stay like that.

Split
I got a Golden Staph infection in my epidural space in the spinal column after having one of those "totally safe, we do them everyday......1 in a million chance of anything going wrong" epidurals for some knee work I needed done.

Was on intravenous antibiotics for 2 months. Went from 90Kg to 73Kg!! Not fun though probably better than the alternative if left untreated! Not sure if it was the infection or the antibiotics. Probably a combination of both.

I'm back up to 85Kg and that is a good weight for me so I plan to stay here.

Cheers,
PKFFW

I got a Golden Staph infection in my epidural space in the spinal column after having one of those "totally safe, we do them everyday......1 in a million chance of anything going wrong" epidurals for some knee work I needed done.

Was on intravenous antibiotics for 2 months. Went from 90Kg to 73Kg!! Not fun though probably better than the alternative if left untreated! Not sure if it was the infection or the antibiotics. Probably a combination of both.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Wow! That sounds terrible. Makes mine seem like nothing. It was a urinary infection, brought on by I know not what but, boy, did it give me a pain when I needed a leak, which was often.

I'm glad you're well, now. Take care.

Split

Wow! That sounds terrible. Makes mine seem like nothing. It was a urinary infection, brought on by I know not what but, boy, did it give me a pain when I needed a leak, which was often.

I'm glad you're well, now. Take care.

Split

Cheers,
PKFFW

OOOPS

Sounds as all traders have their personal health probs :(

Wishing you both all the best!

Cheers Carlos