Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Does anyone have, and can they offer a simple explanation as to how the Federal Reserve Temporary Open Market Operations effect the market ?

I have a vague understanding of what this is and how it works, I would like to know if anyone else regards this as important ?

I have used this site to try and further my understanding, am I wasting my time ? To some extent, I see this information as a distraction. I am not confident or proficient in my trading, and am still trying to order the information available to me.

Grateful for any opinions.

My longs are shaping up well. It was a good decision to get rid of my shorts on Friday 5am UK time and then I decided to go long as I mentioned we had an 85% chance of heading higher for last Fridays session. Nice move up today as well......last hour is critical.....

Could be room for a little more upward action before the storm.......

I don't think we will go beyond 1220 this time and I don't think I will hold my longs for long.....

Currently sitting above 10350 with a good chance of touching 10400 today.....

Signals still mixed to me, INDU failed to get above last weeks highs while SPX and COMPQ both did, also volume was relatively light compared to the last down day. Nothing really clear cut here. imho

hi slapshot

we will have to break and stay below 10340 first.
i am short too.
hope we will get there before i get stop out @10390

good luck

I'm currently still long but a test towards 10300 shouldn't be ruled out. A 10400 touch today seems likely with the market closing just below......Nasdaq leading....

We need to break 10344 on the 15min chart. A close below this level on any paticular candle would clear the way towards 10300....

However Oils up and the market is not reacting too badly......looks like the market will hold up well.....and then delayed reactions later on, as in a few weeks late..........

Next few weeks should be volatile with a chance of moving sideways to higher......

Upside action should be used as a MAJOR selling oportunities as I will most probably start to sell heavy again......soon....

We're seeing the last pushes higher and then it'll be all about the downside......fast as it normally is....

Last edited:
However Oils up and the market is not reacting too badly......looks like the market will hold up well.....and then delayed reactions later on, as in a few weeks late..........
In my view oil relates to the market on two levels.
1/ Oil, the news issue.
2/ Oil the fundamental issue.
With regards ti 1 Oil is in the news daily now, it's up, it's down, it's all over the place, the net result is that as a news issue it's effect has become diluted, the price of oil now must do something pretty dramatic to be considered important, about the only effect oil as a news issue has is the weekly DOE figures and even that has become more or less routine now. Therefore the importance of oil is relegated to 2 the fundamental issue and the impact of this will take time, but like all fundamentals sooner or later it will have its day. As a technical intraday trader I do not give a great deal of weight to fundamentals in my trading. But I do observe them and I do know that in the long run fundamentals are king, everybody has to pay the piper. Markets may rise and fall seemingly ignoring the fundamentals but sooner or later they will have their day, as is the case with oil

Brief foray below 10340...will it continue or will they come back from lunch with other ideas?