Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

anyone got some black powder and a fuse

It will be nice to see 860 again

Last edited:
10650-60 is proving to be firm support.

The descending triangle broke out north form 10652 to 10680 after PD on the RSI, then then gave up. Now we appear to be consolidating at 10670.

dc2000 said:
you will be Long by then wont you?

Nope still short. I am taking the longer positional view. Lucky I moved my stop ( actually cancelled it ) or that would have been triggered yet again. A 50 point swing by the SB s wipe out many if not most regularly.
Should invest by buying some shares in a SB.

Should invest by buying some shares in a SB.
LOL

Cash Machine Con

think I will give it a few more days before a positional short on the Dow. With thanksgiving next week

Just wondering what sort of short term influence GM going into Chapter 11 would have on the Dow? It looks pretty much inevitable now. Question is, how much have the market factored this in? It is this sort of thing that could stop this rally dead in its tracks.

I think if the Dow cannot get a comfortable close today above 10700, we will be revisiting 10600 very soon.

macbonzo said:
Just wondering what sort of short term influence GM going into Chapter 11 would have on the Dow? It looks pretty much inevitable now. Question is, how much have the market factored this in? It is this sort of thing that could stop this rally dead in its tracks.

I think if the Dow cannot get a comfortable close today above 10700, we will be revisiting 10600 very soon.

I think similiar US and European companies should be quaking with fear ! It's too late for Rover etc. and maybe GM. There would have to be massive salary cuts ( especially at the top ) job cuts etc, to fend off the increasing challenge of Far East countries. Something that should have started decades ago and now be in place. Too many greedy time-servers ( slugs ) at the top imho.

Slapshot said:
10650-60 is proving to be firm support.

The descending triangle broke out north form 10652 to 10680 after PD on the RSI, then then gave up. Now we appear to be consolidating at 10670.

Like I said, yesterday was a whipsaw, complete with a rise up to 10700 opening today before settling in around 670. I am sure it will try to touch 10740/30 again. But I am not so sure about the future beyond that :cool:

The Dow is certainly under pressure at the moment. The funny thing is, 20 of its constituents are up and only 8 are down. Of the 8 that are down only MO is down more than 1%. That said, the S&P is motoring. I still think 10600 beckons, but we shall see.

Dow & GM

macbonzo said:

Hi , saw your post 10 mins ago at 6.45pm today funny this , at 11.00am today I had a telephone conversation with a friend in London about the very same thing !

GM going into Chapter 11 and if so this being a possible catalyst for the stopping of the current Bull trend and the start of a possible Bear market .
The GM accounts for 40 points on the Dow in a normal day up or down I think .
Also we talked about the Dow needing to close above 10,719 for the upward movement to continue and a possible retracement down to 10,486 if it cannot hold up----- before another run up to test the 10,719 again .
Best Regards :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

macbonzo said:

if we dont get above 10750 in the coming days i think we could be looking at a market top for the year.everything im looking at at the moment is pointing to a big downturn if this level isnt breached.there are way too many people screaming "xmas rally" at the same time,and the comfort zone has been getting well and truly filled to capacity the last week or so.cautions gonna be my middle name for the next week. im going to watch a breakout of either 10600 or 10750.if we do break below 10600, i will be looking to nail someting in the region of 10475.

twiggytwo said:
Hi , saw your post 10 mins ago at 6.45pm today funny this , at 11.00am today I had a telephone conversation with a friend in London about the very same thing !

GM going into Chapter 11 and if so this being a possible catalyst for the stopping of the current Bull trend and the start of a possible Bear market .
Also we talked about the Dow needing to close above 10,719 for the upward movement to continue and a possible retracement down to 10,486 if it cannot hold up----- before another run up to test the 10,719 again .
Best Regards :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
sorry twiggy just read your post, you've basically covered what i was trying to say 10 minutes ago. and so say all of us. :)

twiggytwo said:

Every $1 movement in any/all DOW constituent(s) is the equivalent of 7 points on the DOW