What's the hottest area in the City for IT Pro's ?

Hook Shot

My mate is finishing a PhD in computer science at Easter and has asked me to do some investigating on his behalf.

His PhD is in Artificial Intelligence..... what's the market (££) like for guys like that ?
Which are the hot areas and which are the "emerging" areas within the capital markets ?

Where can I go to get more insight into those opps ?

Thanks in Advance

Hook Shot

My mate is finishing a PhD in computer science at Easter and has asked me to do some investigating on his behalf.

His PhD is in Artificial Intelligence..... what's the market (££) like for guys like that ?
Which are the hot areas and which are the "emerging" areas within the capital markets ?

Where can I go to get more insight into those opps ?

Thanks in Advance

Hook Shot

You won't earn ££ with the hottest jobs unless you've got experience. PhDs count for nothing without banking investment knowledge and experience to back it up. Tell your mate to get on a Graduate scheme with a bank and get a few years under his belt before he can contemplate looking for the top IT jobs.

Muchas Gracias

Cheers Guys .... as you can imagine I was pretty stuck... but you've helped to point me in the right direction...

Life is Good

If anyone else has any more ideas please feel free - but thanks for everything so far :D

Grant - I don't have a PhD - at least not a "real" one :)

Yes, I have a PHD, but not the type that your mates working for ;)
(sorry for the waste of time post, just couldn't resist!)

It does sound like your mate should be the one doing the research though...

Hook,

Respect for anyone with a Doctorate but I'm fkuced if I'm going to address them as "Doctor...".

Grant (Lit.D).

Just got off the phone to my main agent dangling a hedge fund role in front of me, mentioned your mate.

Bottom line : for foot-in-the-door role, starting salary £25 - £40
It is a very interesting qualification for the City firms patrtic in the quant/algoritmic trading areas.
But it's important to get the foot in the right door at the start iyswim ie your mate won't know about areas that may or may not be of interest.

Hook,

Respect for anyone with a Doctorate but I'm fkuced if I'm going to address them as "Doctor...".

Grant (Lit.D).

Grant (Lit.D),

I have a Masters (god knows how), so can I insist that from now on you refer to me as Master?;)

UTB MSc

UTB,

OK. I'll address you as "Master", you address me as "My Lord Bishop". No, drop the formalities, just "My Lord" will do.

Grant.

Reactions: BSD