What motivates you?

1. PROFIT
2. Profit
3. The challenge of reaching consistent profitability through self control and discipline.

If you find any other trader citing anything else other than these central themes, they are not properly aligned to winning in this game.

Freedom. Of course the freedom.
This means you can work for yourself and work anytime you like.
Also you don't rely on others if you can make money in this area.

Freedom. Of course the freedom.
This means you can work for yourself and work anytime you like.
Also you don't rely on others if you can make money in this area.

Yes Freedom!
Being a full-time trader can be so much different. You're not at the mercy of your boss or company policy or departmental staff. No office to commute to, no traffic to survive. You are your own boss, your own manager, your own decision maker. You have the freedom to do what you want when you want; you are at the controls.

Trading has the power to be so motivating in the freedom it offers. Yes, you make and break your hours of operation, but it's more than that. Traders are responsible for all of their actions, and are always in complete control of what happens next. Sure the market drives us in certain directions, but we ultimately pull the trigger. When we make money, it's because of our direct action and decision making. And when we lose money, we know why, and there's no need to place blame on anybody but us. It's on always on us. That's comforting. :smart:

Is the "freedom" that you're talking about a little bit lonely?

I know if i was a full-time trader, i would firstly have to make more of an effort to find a social life as many of my friends are current or former colleagues.

Also when i am "free" due to being a home-trader, most of my friends, will be at work - except the ones with young kids!

Just a thought... :idea:

What keeps you trading through the ups and down's? And how are you guys able to focus on the other activities like work?
I'm a uni student and I'm losing interest in school work because of trading =/

I am a full time trader so I keep myself very motivated. I think it is all about priorities in life. In your case, getting your degree is probably now you priority. We have to remind ourselves that the market will always be there tomorrow, so if you miss a stock, there will be another one tomorrow. If you are a student, then just trade when you really know you will have the time to do it.
The key is trying to stay focused and balanced so you dont get yourself in trouble. Keep on studying and you will always get your chance to trade!!

the intellectual challenge i currently trade demo account and am also a student. i grasp most things quickly but i have not with forex which annoys me and i am determined to become successful at it. forex is a game and if you do get good at it then it can change your life unlike most hobbies, but at the end of the day i see it as a hobby. my studies and work come before it, not to say i dont think about it a lot or dont give 100 percent effort to it when i am doing it. some day i would like to say that my trading comes before my work as i make more but that is a long way off and not a certainty.

Survival. And the game. Trading is one of the few money making opportunities open to me right now that wouldn't involve going into debt of some kind. Making money for making my dreams reality is my motivation (this includes moving abroad, providing for my family, building an underground fortress in the Andes.. you know, little things).. Its fine to think about that stuff on a Saturday or Sunday for me. During trading - focus on trading.

For me it's curiosity. Also it's challenging and so much interesting.
I started when I had enough money (my husband actually earns quite well), but I wanted to do something, which can make my family proud of me. It's working)) They knew I learn a lot for being able to trade successfully, even now there are just small incomes and tiny volumes)

Maintaining alignment with the holy grail.
Its the only pure motivation in trading

(and , profits, loss, stress, frustration, passing the time, freedom, something to teach the kids, etc..)