What are all your histories like?

I am also currently a student, studying Theoretical Physics.
I have been trading the markets for a few months now and seem to be getting somewhere ( made money every week for a month now :) ...though I know I still have a very long way to go! ...To start with, I am not even halfway to reaching the amount of money I have lost lol, when I have done that then I will start to think I am doing quite well :) )
I have been interested in the business world since I was about 16 and have been considering a career at an investment bank for quite some time. So I thought I would give trading a go to see if I would like it as a job and also to see if I could actually make money at it. I used to think I knew a lot about the stock markets! lol
I wonder, how are you coping with the trading while studying? I find I am checking the markets for my trading signals even in the breaks between lectures lol

Yeah i do that too, in between lectures i would hop down to the nearest PC, and login to check trades. Mostly i would wake up at about 7.30, and check the news until it's trading time at 8.00am.

I would put a few trades in just before i go to lectures, and then just leave them, until the end of the day.

My trading techniques aren't so advanced, and i'm only using indicators from the SB charts. I only trade £1 a point, since i can't afford anymore than that, blame student life. It is however money which i can lose, so no regrets if i get blown out.

I do enjoy the kicks of trading, and the rush. Living in risk suits me, and i am currently looking to earn my way into a trading post at an investment bank.

I too have a long way to go.

Where do you study?

I started at £1 per point...

...Then things went bad and it turned out I didnt know as much about trading as I thought i did lol I am now on 50p per point and am about 70 points away from the target I have set before I go back to £1 ( I decided if I cant make money with my 50p per point then I sure as hell aint gonna make money with £1 per point lol). After my disaster at £1 per point when I started, I noticed I could trade for 8 weeks at 10p per point so I did that, which is just as well, I lost well over 1000 points (£100) in that period lol. Though I certainly learnt a lot from it :) If things are not quite going to plan for you I would advise something similar!

How is the indicators working out? I tried using them for trades but it never worked out too well, though its possible I wasnt using them to their best potential. I never made money using just them, though I do still use them as a way of confirming trades. My main methods now involve support and resistance, and more recently trendlines...and tight stop losses :)

I must admit, I don't get extatic when a trade goes well, or nearly die when it goes bad ...though I do allow myself a little smile when I make a good trade, and trail it well, and I do let the occasional 4 letter work slip out when I get stopped and then it goes where I thought it would. But, I dont really let it get to me, I just remember that more often than not, when I get stopped, it will keep going against my position.

I study at University College London, There are computers with internet connections all over the place so it is quite handy hehe I even considered taking my laptop in and using the wireless connection in lecture theatres, but I decided that if I done that I wouldnt study lol so I just trade when In lunch breaks, breaks between lectures and between 8 and 10 in the morning. I have found I dont seem to trade well too early though (possibly because there is no time for trends, or support and resistance to form :p ) so I only do so rarely now, but I make sure I am at least watching whats happening just incase :)

*chuckle*

Dudes good on you!

I wish I knew about trading when I was an undergrad. I got into it after I'd already finished Uni altogether. I got in on one of those exorbitantly expensive seminars run by an individual of questionable trading pedigree. However, my own martial ars background has given me a bit of an iron will and ability to follow set moves (wax-on, wax-off:LOL: ) and had some success with a mechanical strategy. However, have spent the last 6 months or so working on my very own system which lacks indicators of any type. It's gone so well, I'm about to go live with it - opened my account today!
As far as background, I studied chemistry and work in pharma research.

So I'm not trained by an investment bank - but then again, neither am I successful :p

I find checking quotes/reading news/trading during the day really helps my studying, how about you guys? Before I began SpreadBetting I used to get up, hit the day's lectures and wake up halfway through the day! Now I'm pretty alert and taking in much more in the lectures :)
I normally trade Wednesdays and Fridays where I have enough free time to watch them tick up and down. I don't really trade during the day as it tends to distract me whilst in lectures etc. But I'm still basically punting (with minor stakes) but I'm trying to incorporate some of the strategies from "High Probability Trading" to see how they work out.

I try to trade as often as I can, or at least check to see if there are any opportunites. Though wednesdays and mondays are the days I get to trade more often than not, though for some reason fridays seem to be my best day :S lol

By the way, the spread betting company I am with offers some very good free seminars, worth opening an account just for those :) (finspreads.com).

Is the 'high prob trading' the one by marcel links? That is the book I am on at the moment :) I find the more books I read, the more points of view I find and the better I seem to get. No matter how many times I read something, it often takes the 3rd or 4th time to sink in Grrrr

So How is your trading going guys?

I trade £1/pt. And it's money which i can lose. Having said that, i don't go rambo style.

I try to trade everyday, as i find the markets interesting.
I normally read up some news, chat to some fellow friends who SB as well. I form my own opinions, and trade accordingly. I normally, day trade, or swing for 2 days or more if i've established great probability that it continues in my favour the next day.

I try to identify S/R lines, and put an order to fill on reverse direction when it touches.
Textbook stuff. However, this doesn't yield me greatly. More like i can't identify S/R lines correctly.

I'm reading up on a good book, and learning of major reversal patterns. Good read, and helps me in my trading.

Happy trading!
I hope you bagged the 150+ longs today =)

The really sexy market was Euroswiss (although I would say this), a market that was already trading too high and it took about an hour to react to the ADP! A sloth could have traded it. People were actually going LONG in the market, didn't take long at all to build up a lovely short position. I'm left with a nice 48 lot overnight spread, short on July-September 08 at -.03 that looks very promising too.

Happy days!